Quinoa Virgin

Replies

• spanish style quinoa - simple and delicious

http://goodeatstostyle.blogspot.com/2013/10/spanish-quinoa-pilaf.html

i pair it with my green chile and sour cream enchiladas or just eat it by itself
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    bump for ideas - have had an unopened bag of quinoa in my pantry for a couple of months now :)
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Rinse then soak some adzuki beans overnight.

pour beans and soak liqour into a pot add spring onions (scallions) and chopped garlic then bring to boil and then turn heat down to rolling boil until beans are soft

add thyme, black pepper, stock cube (or salt) to taste, add fresh or dessicated coconut and cook until a little more water evaporates

take off heat and pour in some quinoa

cover until quinoa is plump

serve with chicken or some other meat and/or veg

Works well with bulghur wheat too.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    use it as a substitute for anywhere you would use rice or couscous or even in place of oatmeal in the morning.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Bump
  • FitnessMeagan1105
    FitnessMeagan1105 Posts: 57 Member
    bump
  • SouthPawSings
    SouthPawSings Posts: 54 Member
    Interesting - I have never rinsed it, did not know you had to!

Just to be totally weird, but I put a tablespoonful of it in my porridge (left to cook slow on hob, not 2 min in microwave) and it gives a nice nutty flavour and a bit of texture. Bit like making rice pudding I guess.

Huh. I love quinoa, but I'd never thought of doing that. May have to try!

You can buy it already rinsed, it will actually say you don't have to rinse it. Where can you find it in bulk or for cheap?
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Bump.
  • evanblove
    evanblove Posts: 82 Member
    bump
  • silverdawnhawk
    silverdawnhawk Posts: 32 Member
    Costco as mentioned earlier is usually your best bet for cheap. $10-15 per large bag last time I bought it a few years ago. Quinoa goes a long way.

I live in sask though and we have a local farm that grows it outside watrous. I prefer to buy from then instead so my prices may be wildly out of date.
  • Thanks for all of these ideas. I was just talking about trying Quinoa this week. I have a lot of things to try now!
  • davidmulligan
    davidmulligan Posts: 7 Member
    Loaded Bowl (salad). I make it with chick peas instead of fava beans. http://www.whatrunslori.com/2010/08/the-loaded-bowl/
  • jlmuise25
    jlmuise25 Posts: 45 Member
    From all of the comments I see, you can basically do anything you want with it. I've had it in oatmeal, I've used it as a replacement for rice, I've put it in salads, etc. I was a quinoa virgin one time too, until my neighbor raved about how awesome it is. Keep us posted on what you like the most with it.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    I love tabbouleh, use quinoa in place of bulghur wheat. Also I make mine with corriander (salantro?) instead of parsley ... drool. Great with plain grilled fish

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/tabbouleh_91782
  • gracefika
    gracefika Posts: 13 Member
    sounds yummy!
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    I have never rinsed my quinoa, just add a bit of salt to the water and it does not taste bitter. I use it in casseroles with or in place of brown rice. I love the greek recipe at the top, I'm going to try that tomorrow. Oh, and cheesy quinoa patties, found on Pinterest are great for breakfast or snack.
  • i was a quinoa virgin until i had taboulli/taboulleh salad for the first time. it got me completely hooked on it and it's become a staple in my diet ever since!
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    great recipes
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    I had quinoa for the first time last week and it was so good I'm eating it for dinner tonight!

I cooked the quinoa as the pack said and set aside. I then fried onion and garlic in a tbsp of oil, added 1 roasted red pepper and 2 pepper dew peppers. I added a drop of water as didn't want anymore oil for calorie reasons. Then added some peas and cooked prawns before stirring the cooked quinoa back through and serve! Delicious and comes out about 570 calories for a big filling dinner.

:)
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    I usually have it one of two ways:
    1) cooked like you would a risotto - in chicken/veg stock for 20-30mins with anything you want. I usually have chicken, peppers and courgette. Really quick recipe:
    - Fry an onion and garlic in a pan.
    - Chop a chicken/turkey breast and add to onions. Gently fry until no longer pink.
    - Add veg (You could skip step 2 if you want a veggie version)
    - Season and add any herbs/spices you want
    - Add quinoa and stock.
    - Simmer for 20-30 (until quinoa is cooked)

2) Tuna quinoa salad - Plain cooked quinoa with tinned tuna, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, roasted peppers, touch of mayo