Is Everyone on the Slim Fast Diet Doomed to Fail?

ETA: This is NOT a lifelong thing, guys! I said a few weeks, not forever.

So here's the story:

I've been eating healthy for a month now. Let me explain what that means to me. Absolutely no soda; in fact, for three weeks I have drank nothing but water. No junk food. For breakfast, I ate granola, fruit, or a smoothie. For lunch, veggies/tuna/salad. Dinner, grilled or boiled meat with a side or two of veggies.

I started to lose weight, but to boost my weight loss, a week ago I started the Slim Fast 3-2-1 plan, and honestly, I don't see why everyone seems to feel like anyone who uses this plan is going to end up failing. No, it doesn't teach you how to eat healthy, but it DOES teach you how to reduce calories and portions. I feel less hungry throughout the day now, even with exercise.

I plan on doing this for another few weeks, then see where I am at. I'm guessing the "problem" with Slim Fast, and diet plans altogether, is the transition from it, right? But if I was already beginning to adjust to a healthy eating regime, am I still predicted to put back on my weight?

I'm asking because Slim Fast has a largely negative reputation here, and I feel bad, as in no positive reinforcement, etc., for using it as a result. :(

Replies

• ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    I've tried Slim Fast a few times but always felt deprived and hungry. If it's working for you and you enjoy it, then keep going. I'm sure lots of people have lost weight with it.
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Everyone on the Slim Fast Diet will die.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Everyone on the Slim Fast Diet will die.

I'm looking for constructive advice, not a snarky waste of text.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    You've already noted all the reasons why people don't encourage it. It doesn't teach people how to eat healthy in a sustainable, lifelong way. It doesn't teach people about caloric needs, macronutrient goals, or exercise. It's generally a quick fix diet, rather than a lifelong change. So...what is your question again?
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Good luck with that if you're asking about a fad diet product in these forums. I don't mean that in a snarky way, either.

Constructive advice: don't waste your money on it. Eat less, move more. :flowerforyou:
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    I don't know if you've read the ingredients in slim fasts, but if you aren't short on time, you can easily make healthier, larger and more filling smoothies/shakes at home for the same calories.

If you are always rushing around and need a meal replacement, it's okay, but it isn't special. There are also more healthy (but probably more expensive also) meal replacements out there you could pick up instead.

It isn't that you're doomed to fail, it's just that there is absolutely no point to purchasing the product.
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    How are you going to maintain that calorie deficit once you're off it? Are you planning to maintain your goal weight? Also, Slim Fast is full of sugar and other such nastiness. Why not work on finding a way of eating that you enjoy (i.e. not about deprivation), is full of nutrients and is sustainable?
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    More like doomed to drinking/eating some nasty *kitten* shakes/food. Just keeping it real OP.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    You've already noted all the reasons why people don't encourage it. It doesn't teach people how to eat healthy in a sustainable, lifelong way. It doesn't teach people about caloric needs, macronutrient goals, or exercise. It's generally a quick fix diet, rather than a lifelong change. So...what is your question again?

I'm using it as a temporary weight loss boost, not as a permanent solution. I'm already pretty savvy on healthy eating, so I don't need to be "taught" anything. My question is basically this: are there examples of those who actually SUCCEED in using this diet as a tool (note: tool, not lifelong change), and why can't anyone focus the benefits in taking part in it (don't say there aren't any, because that won't get us anywhere)?
  • hararayne
    hararayne Posts: 261 Member
    People here want to see lifestyle changes rather than fad diets. So there is always bickering. Some people feel that living paleo, or atkins, or whatever is not easily done and therefore a fad. Some people think, move more, eat less. Some people subscribe to IIFYM. Some people love cardio and some people love weights, and still others think exercising SUCKS (sometimes it can)

But my question is, why? Why are you on slim fast? Just to make weight loss faster? Is it easier to log the calories and know your macros this way for you? In my experience with slim fast, I defintely didn't lose much weight, and when I got off of it it came right back on. I couldn't stick to it easily though either, I really wanted to CHEW things, not just drink a few of my meals.

I feel like you would be happier about eating REAL food. Not the sludge in those cans, or the weird textured snack bars. Add in veggies and fruit and whole grains, or high fiber wraps with healthy proteins like chicken, salmon, whatever. They say, eat the rainbow (especially in veggies) and I just feel like that is the BEST way to go. Not drinking over-processed slimey chocolate shakes.

But, that's not to say, when I was REALLY busy, that I didn't find a shake of some sort (usually atkins was what I bought) took care of breakfast. But I usually ended up eating more later to make up for it.
  • ebayaddict0127
    I have tried - Low carb, Body for Life, Paleo, Slim Fast, Nutrisystem, Medifast, and probably a few other "fad" diets. I am absolutely, 100% sure that I am not a fad diet person and will never stick to anything like that. I like food and eating normal things. I had someone recently try to push a special shake program on me. It's just NOT for me. That being said... some people swear by their choices and that's fine. If it works for you and you love it.. do it. I just know me, and know I would rather not be restricted to something my whole life. I prefer watching what I eat, making healthy choices, counting calories, and exercising. I know that's what works for me.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    People here want to see lifestyle changes rather than fad diets. So there is always bickering. Some people feel that living paleo, or atkins, or whatever is not easily done and therefore a fad. Some people think, move more, eat less. Some people subscribe to IIFYM. Some people love cardio and some people love weights, and still others think exercising SUCKS (sometimes it can)

But my question is, why? Why are you on slim fast? Just to make weight loss faster? Is it easier to log the calories and know your macros this way for you? In my experience with slim fast, I defintely didn't lose much weight, and when I got off of it it came right back on. I couldn't stick to it easily though either, I really wanted to CHEW things, not just drink a few of my meals.

I feel like you would be happier about eating REAL food. Not the sludge in those cans, or the weird textured snack bars. Add in veggies and fruit and whole grains, or high fiber wraps with healthy proteins like chicken, salmon, whatever. They say, eat the rainbow (especially in veggies) and I just feel like that is the BEST way to go. Not drinking over-processed slimey chocolate shakes.

But, that's not to say, when I was REALLY busy, that I didn't find a shake of some sort (usually atkins was what I bought) took care of breakfast. But I usually ended up eating more later to make up for it.

Honestly, I'm just doing it for a few weeks to see what it does for me. It isn't a lifelong thing, but it's teaching me to cut my calories, feel full more often, etc. When I get tired of it, I'll go back to eating normal, healthy food, but I don't think everyone on the Slim Fast diet deserves to be treated badly for the decision.
  • JinxRita
    JinxRita Posts: 191 Member
    You have to do what is right for you. That is the only way you're going to accomplish your goals. Do it smartly, but do it for you.

That being said, Slim-Fast always made me sick in the past...physically. As in ten minutes after consuming it, I found out what it was like to vomit through my nose. That is -not- an experience that I ever wish to repeat. It's not for me because of that...which I like to think is a pretty solid reason!

You'll get there the best way you know how, and that my friend is what matters. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Well the answer to your quesdtion so far would appear to be "no".

And can I just point out that granola is one of those foods that has managied to cloak itself in a healthy appearance, despite being a calorie bomb.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    I know many people that kept the weight off after slim fast and many who gained it back. I know many people regardless of diet, low fat, low carb, paleo, etc, who have gained it back.

The key will be the transition. If you transition to a healthy eating style, it will work.
  • ebayaddict0127
    You have to do what is right for you. That is the only way you're going to accomplish your goals. Do it smartly, but do it for you.

That being said, Slim-Fast always made me sick in the past...physically. As in ten minutes after consuming it, I found out what it was like to vomit through my nose. That is -not- an experience that I ever wish to repeat. It's not for me because of that...which I like to think is a pretty solid reason!

You'll get there the best way you know how, and that my friend is what matters. :)

I remember getting sick a few times after Slim Fast.. not vomit though.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Why not just eat at a calorie deficit? Why do people make things harder than they need to be?
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    For me, the "problem" with it is it's a short term fix. It's something you do when you're "on a diet". And that's what I think fails. I've gone on diets before and the problem is, once you're done, you go off a diet. And you gain weight again.

What I'm trying to do now is change my relationship with food. If you're doing it right, food should be really enjoyable and provide great fuel for your body. Food is your friend. lol So doing what you need to do with real food is good practice for when you get to your target weight. You're never going to stop eating. The better you can make your relationship with food, the more likely you'll stay at a healthy weight when your "diet" is over.

Having said that, I bet people have used Slim Fast as a tool along the way and had success. As long as you keep the long term goal in mind, it might be a great tool for some. I tried it years ago on one of many failed attempts to get fit again. I think a lot of people here have. That's probably another reason for the negative feelings about it. I just remember those cans in the fridge for a year reminding me that I was going to lose weight but didn't.

Good luck!
  • phonerobot
    phonerobot Posts: 14 Member
    When I was searching early in my weight loss journey, I too wondered about Slim Fast.

Slim Fast is good if you do not mind ingesting a highly processed, synthetic, non-digestible substance into your body that will simply cause more degeneration of cells and block absorption of nutrients in your intestines.

The first 8 or so ingredients of Slim Fast demonstrate true garbage food dieting for the mis-informed:

"FAT FREE MILK, WATER, SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), CANOLA OIL, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, FRUCTOSE, GUM ARABIC, CELLULOSE GEL, MONO AND DIGLYCERIDES, HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY LECITHIN, CELLULOSE GUM, CARRAGEENAN..."

Stay away if you want your health to increase. You'd be better off simply doing a natural fast. Even a internal cleanse with food is more beneficial! I did it after the birth of my daughter...lost 35lbs. http://bit.ly/1fjxD9Q
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I'm using it as a temporary weight loss boost, not as a permanent solution. I'm already pretty savvy on healthy eating, so I don't need to be "taught" anything. My question is basically this: are there examples of those who actually SUCCEED in using this diet as a tool (note: tool, not lifelong change), and why can't anyone focus the benefits in taking part in it (don't say there aren't any, because that won't get us anywhere)?

So, essentially, you want us to answer the question but only if we tell you what you want to hear. Sounds legit.

There are no benefits to Slim Fast that a person cannot obtain by eating a healthy, well balanced diet that fits into macros.