Is Everyone on the Slim Fast Diet Doomed to Fail?

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Well, as a full time nursing student, mother and employee, sometimes I didn't even eat breakfast, and lunch used to fast food. I started eating healthy, but it can be time consuming. Is Slim Fast okay circumstantially? As in, if I don't have time for breakfast, grab a shake? I don't want to seem like I'm not committed to losing weight and being healthy, but I bought these products without knowledge of the "harm" they do and went into it pretty optimistically.

I grab protein bars or convenience meals sometimes when I'm tired or feel like I don't have time to cook. I think everyone does. In that sense, they are fine, though you could probably find better tasting options for cheaper. My advice based on this post would be to get a list of easily grabbed food items that may benefit you more in the long run and get used to eating those.

*Easily packed fruits (bananas, apples)
    *Hard boiled eggs
    *Nuts and seeds
    *Greek yogurt
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    I was drinking a type of shake (processed) every afternoon in order to gain weight, and was unsuccessful (back in the "90's.) I just don't think shakes work in the short run or long run. By the way, it's just as hard to gain weight as to lose weight.

OP, why the shakes? Are you trying to rush the weight loss? Lots of better methods on helping you feel full, like eating celery, for example.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Well, as a full time nursing student, mother and employee, sometimes I didn't even eat breakfast, and lunch used to fast food. I started eating healthy, but it can be time consuming. Is Slim Fast okay circumstantially? As in, if I don't have time for breakfast, grab a shake? I don't want to seem like I'm not committed to losing weight and being healthy, but I bought these products without knowledge of the "harm" they do and went into it pretty optimistically.

I do understand and sympathize with the fact that you are busy, but with some planning you can eat real food on the go. I often make little "kits" of food in tupperwares or baggies to grab on the go. They include things like hard boiled eggs, Quest bars, nuts, greek yogurt, fruit, peanut butter....
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Several people suggested it to me, rambled off their success stories, and I was largely intrigued. It was something I wanted to experiment with, and if it didn't work, I'd stop.

Had those several people managed to maintain their weight eating a balanced diet afterwards? You yourself have identified that the problem with it is the transition back to a normal diet, so why, when you already know how to eat well, would you risk trying a method that you aren't sure is sustainable? What will you do if you come off six weeks of Slim Fast, living off shakes and cereal bars, and find that you're so desperate to eat real food again that you can no longer stick to a healthy but calorie restricted diet?

There's hundreds of MFP users who can attest to the 'healthy diet and exercise' method being successful, you joined that community too, and far fewer people who can attest to long-term success from Slim Fast, so again, why are you doing this?
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    I'm using it as a temporary weight loss boost, not as a permanent solution. I'm already pretty savvy on healthy eating, so I don't need to be "taught" anything. My question is basically this: are there examples of those who actually SUCCEED in using this diet as a tool (note: tool, not lifelong change), and why can't anyone focus the benefits in taking part in it (don't say there aren't any, because that won't get us anywhere)?

So, essentially, you want us to answer the question but only if we tell you what you want to hear. Sounds legit.

There are no benefits to Slim Fast that a person cannot obtain by eating a healthy, well balanced diet that fits into macros.

I didn't say that. I just wanted to hear the positive side, but apparently there isn't one.

No, you didn't say that. Best to ignore those. Don't feed the troll.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    After reading everyone's feedback, I think I've decided to just finish up the supply of shakes and bars I have (or maybe save a few shakes for time restricted situations) and then go back to eating regular, healthy foods. Thanks for the input and not slaughtering me too badly!
  • kawookie
    kawookie Posts: 813 Member
    If you are using them as a time saver to avoid a drive thru or grabbing from a vending machine, then I see your point. I have some protein bars that I use sometimes when I need something after a work out or if I have missed a meal due to unforeseen circumstances.

However, do you like them? I really try to read labels and go for things that have ingredients that are easily recognizable. I have found any shake I have tried is kinda nasty.

I started making my own snack bags and stashing them places like the car, my purse, workout bag so I have healthy options that are easy to track. Dried fruit, nuts, jerky, and healthier snack food all get weighed and measured in bags. Then I just give some to my husband to take to work and put the remainder in a big basket in the kitchen. A bag of dried fruit, a bag of nuts and seeds, and something starchy like plantain chips or pita chips can make a good lunch in a pinch.
  • PRMinx
    I'm using it as a temporary weight loss boost, not as a permanent solution. I'm already pretty savvy on healthy eating, so I don't need to be "taught" anything. My question is basically this: are there examples of those who actually SUCCEED in using this diet as a tool (note: tool, not lifelong change), and why can't anyone focus the benefits in taking part in it (don't say there aren't any, because that won't get us anywhere)?

So, essentially, you want us to answer the question but only if we tell you what you want to hear. Sounds legit.

There are no benefits to Slim Fast that a person cannot obtain by eating a healthy, well balanced diet that fits into macros.

I didn't say that. I just wanted to hear the positive side, but apparently there isn't one.

No, you didn't say that. Best to ignore those. Don't feed the troll.

Sorry, but that's the way it came across to me. And I'm the farthest thing from a troll.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Several people suggested it to me, rambled off their success stories, and I was largely intrigued. It was something I wanted to experiment with, and if it didn't work, I'd stop.

Had those several people managed to maintain their weight eating a balanced diet afterwards? You yourself have identified that the problem with it is the transition back to a normal diet, so why, when you already know how to eat well, would you risk trying a method that you aren't sure is sustainable? What will you do if you come off six weeks of Slim Fast, living off shakes and cereal bars, and find that you're so desperate to eat real food again that you can no longer stick to a healthy but calorie restricted diet?

There's hundreds of MFP users who can attest to the 'healthy diet and exercise' method being successful, you joined that community too, and far fewer people who can attest to long-term success from Slim Fast, so again, why are you doing this?

Maybe it was curiosity? After hearing all of the raving, I wanted to see what it would do for me. Based on the replies here, that's virtually nothing, unfortunately.
  • PRMinx
    After reading everyone's feedback, I think I've decided to just finish up the supply of shakes and bars I have (or maybe save a few shakes for time restricted situations) and then go back to eating regular, healthy foods. Thanks for the input and not slaughtering me too badly!

That's great. Best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member

I think that's a good plan, for sure. Some people have already mentioned this, but if you need quick, easy foods, you can make up little snacks when you've got time and then grab them on the go. I personally don't like protein bars and stuff like that, but that can also work if you're in a time crunch.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member

Sounds like a good call.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member

Great decision, and I wish you the best of luck!
  • cdcooper321
    cdcooper321 Posts: 157 Member
    If it's working for what you need it for now, then go for it. We all need a boost for motivation here and there! Just don't do it long term. Keep up the great work!!! You seem to be doing fabulous! <3
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member

Best of luck! :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member

You seem to have come out relatively unscathed, further educated, and appear to be still smiling. :bigsmile: I'd say you have done well.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Well done - you've survived an MFP onslaught, and have a plan! Best wishes with that :drinker:
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    OP you are making the right decision by ditching Slim Fast.

In my personal experience, I have never seen anyone succeed at dieting with them. That includes friends, family members, and myself.

What I don't like about them -- they're "diet food." This may sound strange, but I personally think eating food marketed towards the "dieting" mentality has a negative psychological impact on someone who is trying to lose weight while forming a good, balanced relationship with food.

I also am not impressed with their overall range of food. Most of their stuff seems modeled after junk food, fuels cravings, leaves one feeling psychologically deprived and doesn't allow you to explore a very large variety of food, which is important when having a balanced diet.

Good luck.
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    I drink a Slim Fast shake every morning in addition to my half bagel with cream cheese. I actually like them. I've lost 30 pounds, but I obviously don't follow the Slim Fast diet plan. That said, I don't see anything wrong with them at all.
  • stefanieraya
    stefanieraya Posts: 110 Member
    ETA: This is NOT a lifelong thing, guys! I said a few weeks, not forever.

So here's the story:

I've been eating healthy for a month now. Let me explain what that means to me. Absolutely no soda; in fact, for three weeks I have drank nothing but water. No junk food. For breakfast, I ate granola, fruit, or a smoothie. For lunch, veggies/tuna/salad. Dinner, grilled or boiled meat with a side or two of veggies.

I started to lose weight, but to boost my weight loss, a week ago I started the Slim Fast 3-2-1 plan, and honestly, I don't see why everyone seems to feel like anyone who uses this plan is going to end up failing. No, it doesn't teach you how to eat healthy, but it DOES teach you how to reduce calories and portions. I feel less hungry throughout the day now, even with exercise.

I plan on doing this for another few weeks, then see where I am at. I'm guessing the "problem" with Slim Fast, and diet plans altogether, is the transition from it, right? But if I was already beginning to adjust to a healthy eating regime, am I still predicted to put back on my weight?

I'm asking because Slim Fast has a largely negative reputation here, and I feel bad, as in no positive reinforcement, etc., for using it as a result. :(

I don't necessarily think Slim Fast is bad - ok I do. It's horrible. Here's the problem with dieting...it's not a lifestyle change and the money you spent on Slim Fast will be wasted because you will gain the weight back because you didn't change anything about your lifestyle.

Start thinking about living a different way forever. Start with one change like you did with giving up soda. Great job with that btw! Next try eating real food, not junk food for a month until you've adopted that into your life. The following month start increasing your fruits and veggies. Next limit your TV watching. Move more, Get more sleep. etc.