On 1500 calories a day and ive stopped losing weight.

I'm 5'11 tall and 209 ibs and go to the gym 4 times a week.
I'm starting to strugle and beginning to lose faith with the diet process. My commitment is not in doubt and has been
Commented on by friends/colleagues and family. When I go to the gym I burn on average 450 calories which I try and add
Onto my calories for the day so I'm not massively under.
Can anyone offer any advice as to how I start to lose again weight again?
Any and all advice welcome I really want to lose weight ????

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    How long haven't you lost weight for?
  • It may sound wierd, but add in a cheat day, once in a while. If you think about it, we're still animals. Your body is trying to adjust to it's new "environment" without the extra food. It goes into starvation mode, and hoards all those calories as best it can. Giving it a little extra once in a while can help keep you from plateauing.
  • edarmstrong
    edarmstrong Posts: 7 Member
    It's been nearly two weeks and not lost a single ibs. I'm logging everything I consume
    apart from tea which I drink a lot of. I'm not sure if I may have set my
    goal to high with a low daily calorie intake of 1500. Would increasing it help I'm not sure.
    It's strange as I never really feel that hungry and I have to remind myself
    to eat. I would say I only truely eat about 1350 or there abouts altho I''ve been making myself
    Eat 1500 for the past week. I really am trying but I keep thinging the more calories
    I eat the longer it will take to reach my goal.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    2 weeks isn't really anything to worry about. Wight loss isn't linear, sometimes we have stalls. It just happens. If you haven't lost weight for maybe 4 weeks, then you might want to start trying to do something about it, but not after just 2 weeks. I haven't lost weight in 2 weeks, but I'm not worried because I know these things happen.

Also, how often do you weigh? If you only weigh once a week, there's a chance that you have lost weight, but you fluctuated on the day you weighed. We can fluctuate by pounds each day, so weighing once a week doesn't always give you an accurate idea of your weight. For example, on Thursday I weighed 115.2. The day before I was 114. If you're weighing everyday obviously this isn't an issue, but it is something to bare in mind if you're not.
  • DreamBigEatLarge
    DreamBigEatLarge Posts: 162 Member
    you may possibly need to eat more perhaps?:smile:
    have a look at this :)
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Like DemoraFairy said, not losing weight for 2 weeks really isn't much to worry about, you may just be stalling for a bit. It happens to everyone (just not everyone notices it happen, and some don't care.)

Though, judging by your gender, age (got those from your profile), height, and activity level, you probably should be eating more. That's what a lot of other people would/will be telling you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    It's been nearly two weeks and not lost a single ibs. I'm logging everything I consume
    apart from tea which I drink a lot of.

What's in the tea ? Your diary isn't public by the way.
  • There a few things, eat more, have a cheat day, spend a week or two at 1600 calories.
    Also, are you doing the same workout everyday? Can you change it up at the gym?
  • edarmstrong
    I only take my tea with semi skimmed milk and nothing else.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Patience
  • edarmstrong
    How do I make my diary public?
    When I'm at the gym I tend to use the treadmill and cross trainer.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Do you

1) Weigh your food
    2) Eat back your exercise calories

?
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    1) incorporate some strength training into your workouts - maybe 20mins or so before cardio. Try mixing your cardio up too.
    2) start logging tea. You say you drink a lot of it and add SS milk - milk adds up!! Depending how many cups you have a day you could be consuming around 200-300kcals in tea alone, which naturally increases your daily intake, meaning you could be consuming more calories than you think. When people on MFP say log and weight everything, they do mean EVERYTHING, even drinks. There's no point avoiding logging liquid calories as you're only cheating yourself. Have you considered replacing some cups of normal tea with green tea? Not only will you reduce calories from milk, you will also boost your metabolism.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    When I'm at the gym I tend to use the treadmill and cross trainer.

Are you eating back the exercise calories that were calculated by the treadmill or by MFP when you input the exercise? Treadmills can be very inaccurate (ok so is MFP but in my experience MFP reports lower calorie burns than treadmills).

And as mentioned by Dewymorning below, are you weighing your food? if you're not recording skim milk is it possible you aren't logging other things correctly either?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings bottom left
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    It may sound wierd, but add in a cheat day, once in a while. If you think about it, we're still animals. Your body is trying to adjust to it's new "environment" without the extra food. It goes into starvation mode, and hoards all those calories as best it can. Giving it a little extra once in a while can help keep you from plateauing.

Good lord, no.

No. A million times no.
  • Mate...2 weeks and you are worrying. No offense but weight loss is not a quick fix.

Essentially, it took me 6 months to lose 6 kgs because I start as skinny fat. I did put on lean muscle, so as in fat goes I might have loss more than 6kg.

I would say what you are eating is very low. I am 5'7", 63kg and I eat 1650 a day. I would suggest you think about eating 500 calories less than your maintenance, 600 at most. It looks to me your doing about 1000-1100 under.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EpsilonGamma/view/1-year-skinny-fat-to-ripped-632244

Check out my 1 year anniversary post.
  • edarmstrong
    Thanks for all your responses. I see a mixture of patience and maybe a
    Slightly Higher daily calorie intake is what's needed.
    I know weight loss isn't quick and that's what I need to bear in mind.
    I feel healthier than I did before and can do more and more every time I
    attend the gym.
    Little steps and patience are the order of the day.
  • Thanks for all your responses. I see a mixture of patience and maybe a
    Slightly Higher daily calorie intake is what's needed.
    I know weight loss isn't quick and that's what I need to bear in mind.
    I feel healthier than I did before and can do more and more every time I
    attend the gym.
    Little steps and patience are the order of the day.

A higher calorie intake is not going to help you lose weight
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    apart from tea which I drink a lot of.

What's in the tea ? Your diary isn't public by the way.

yeah, tea has calories too. plus is this in correlation to your monthly cycle? we go up and down, and even stall quite often throughout the week. Try eating every three hours and switch your calories up to be 1500 one day but more on every other day. this may jumpstart your metabolism again. tea is good and all but make sure you are drinking at the very least 8 glasses of straight water too. always eat back your exercise calories and get enugh sleep. just keep at it. I go through stalls here and there too. its not a race. it will come off. you have to understand that its your body's natural defense mechanism to hold onto energy(fat/calories) so that it can function and fight off any infections, etc. Just stick with it. add in filling foods like fiber, protein, limit your empty calories and up your good carbs like vegies and fruits. try not to drink your calories.