Arugula: not an acceptable substitute for spinach

It's so gross! Does anyone actually like it? If so, how do you prepare it?

I bought some this week thinking I could use it like spinach... I'm gonna chuck it.

Replies

• I love it!

I actually posted a Facebook status update once saying that arugula is one of the finest things to grow out of the ground.

True story.

I usually eat it in salads and that's it, I just really like the stuff. Maybe someone here will have a way to prepare it that you like; sorry I don't have any suggestions. :(
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Arugula is peppery. Definitely not like spinach. Use it when a sharp peppery flavor would be good.
    I like it as a salad with Parmesan cheese and a simple oil and vinegar dressing.
    It's also good on pizza-- margerita pizza, not Domino's type.
    It makes a nice side for crab cakes.
    Or mix it with other salad greens.
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    I love it!

I actually posted a Facebook status update once saying that arugula is one of the finest things to grow out of the ground.

True story.

I usually eat it in salads and that's it, I just really like the stuff. Maybe someone here will have a way to prepare it that you like; sorry I don't have any suggestions. :(

Really?? I tried it in a green smoothie this week... it tasted like I had added a cup of mustard and pepper to the smoothie.

Then I tried to just eat a piece and yuck! Couldn't do it! Maybe in a salad it blends flavors with the other veggies and tastes better? Hmm....
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    I love it, too! I like it on sandwiches and in salads.
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Arugula is peppery. Definitely not like spinach. Use it when a sharp peppery flavor would be good.
    I like it as a salad with Parmesan cheese and a simple oil and vinegar dressing.

Thanks! Yeah.. maybe it would be milder cooked... it could be a good pizza topping.

Ok maybe I'll give my bunch of arugula another chance.

I'm definitely still "learning" how to cook. I guess I thought- looks like spinach... tastes like spinach. :blushing:
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    I love it, too! I like it on sandwiches and in salads.
    Yep, I particularly love to mix it with feta cheese or with sunflower seeds and balsamic vinegar in salads.
    I've seen it cooked (on pizza), but have never tried cooking it.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,209 Member
    Arugula IS one of the finest things to grow out of the ground!

Spicy and peppery, arugula makes any boring salad interesting. Salad greens with an attitude!

I love arugula and so did my German Shepherd. Whenever I would open a box, she would sprint down to the kitchen for her share. Smart dog. Unfortunately, I had to say goodbye to my beloved dog last month (she was 10) so I can't really buy arugula for awhile until the feelings and association subside a bit.

But it is a terrific and tasty plant!
  • you could do a wilted Arugula salad with caramelized fennel, lemon vinaigrette with shaved parm. Yummm.

Or any of this http://allrecipes.com/search/default.aspx?ms=0&origin=Home+Page&rt=r&qt=i&wt=arugula&pqt=i&fo=0
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    I heard arugula is one of the best greens you could eat for your health because of the sulphur compounds.
    I want to grow some this year right in my bedroom, to munch on whenever I feel like. But I started the seeds too early (ooops...) and they barely grow... Flowers are also edible and peppery.
  • Pintado
    Pintado Posts: 33 Member
    One of my favourite salads is arugula with sliced pear, balsamic and either shaved parmesan or a small amount of crumbled blue cheese (whatever you have lying around). Delicious and the pear helps to balance the peppery taste of the arugula!

It's also good sprinkled on top of home-made pizza with tomato, cheese, olives (if you like them), etc. Looks very pretty too.
  • The_Raspberry
    The_Raspberry Posts: 84 Member
    I love to make homemade pesto with arugula instead of basil.

Use it with pasta, tomatoes and mozzarella, as a salad dressing, to make potato salad. Super good!!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,680 Member
    I love it! On a trip to London I discovered that it is called rocket there. which is fun.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Why would you want to replace spinach with anything else?
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    I love it. It's a great topping for pizza too
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I have a recipe for a pasta dish with arugula and it's very yummy. But, no, it doesn't taste like spinach. Because it isn't spinach. :-/
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    I like it in soups as well as mixed into a salad. It's more flavorful than spinach, with a slightly peppery taste. I would tend to use it as a substitute for kale rather than spinach.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    I really like it! I will roll it up in chicken wraps instead of lettuce, put it on sandwiches, or mix it in with my spinach and spring mix for salad. I'll also chop it up and stir it into warm quinoa with veggies and cheese. Yum!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

Thanks! Yeah.. maybe it would be milder cooked... it could be a good pizza topping.

Ok maybe I'll give my bunch of arugula another chance.

I'm definitely still "learning" how to cook. I guess I thought- looks like spinach... tastes like spinach. :blushing:

Do try it on pizza - a classic is Neapolitan-style pizza crust + gorgonzola cheese + sliced poached pears (canned will do in a pinch) + toasted walnuts. Bake. While baking, dress one to two handfuls of arugula lightly with a lemon juice, olive oil, and garlic viniagrette. When the pizza is done, top with the arugula and let the heat wilt it a bit before serving. Really delicious. If you don't like gorgonzola, there's a version with figs and goat cheese that's great, too.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Maybe I'm a super taster but it tastes like sweaty socks to me. It's probably the sulphur compounds.
    I love peppery. Arugula/Rocket is not that.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    I love it. I use it just like spinach. Spinach is usually less expensive, so just use that if you hate arugula. For people who like it, it is great used like spinach.