Shirataki Pad Thai (375 calories for 1.75lbs of food?!)

MissInfiniti
MissInfiniti Posts: 142 Member
Inspired by another shirataki recipe that was posted here I want to post one that I make commonly. It is AMAZING. Nobody ever complains about the noodles-- nor do I tell them they are calorie. They just think they are some sort of special Asian spaghetti. This base recipe makes almost 1.75 lbs of food for only 375 calories (plus the calories of whatever meat you add). I chose to add another 200 calories of steak.

2 packages of skirataki noodles (all I could get my hands on was the angel hair tofu mix kind, but if you go to an Asian market you can most likely get the 0 calorie without tofu noodles) - 80 cal
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce - 60 cal
1/4 cup splenda - 0 cal
1 tbs siracha - 15 cal (taste it-- 1 was spicy enough for me but you may want more)
1 bag steamfresh broccoli (about 3 cups of broccoli florets if you want to use reg. broccoli which is 30 cal less) - 120 cal
2 to 4 TBS of lime juice, to taste 7-14 cal
3 tbs P2B powdered peanut butter - 68 cal (you can use regular peanut butter, but this is the powdered kind with fat removed)
2 tbs water

Meat:
Your choice-- chop up some steak, make some tofu, dice some chicken... shrimp...

Veggies:
Diced white onion -- I use a lot because I love onions.
Garlic, a lot. I just take a big scoop out of a jar of chopped garlic.
Shredded carrots -- or chop/dice your own, I like to buy pre shredded.
Bean sprouts -- I just used a tiny amount, for a subtle crunch.

1A. Rinse noodles to remove fishy smell, pat dry with paper towel and then dry fry (cook until they are not wet and slimy-- don't make crispy). Remove from pan and set to side.

1B. While this is happening, steam vegetables.

1C. Make sauce by combining splenda, siracha, lime juice, P2B peanut butter, 2 tbs water. Place in microwave for 30 seconds.

2. Spray pan with a little PAM, add garlic, cook a minute or so. Add onions, cook another minute or so until transparent.

3. Add in steamed vegetables, meat, and half the sauce. Sauté for a few minutes.

4. Add in the rest of the sauce and the noodles.

It's done! The noodles will soak the flavor right up.

I love using the P2B peanut butter for this because it adds the flavor but not the fat! I keep a jar just specifically for this recipe.

Replies

• ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Sorcery!!! I'll have to give it a try!
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    I love love love Shirataki... I can make anything with it. It is awesome!!!
  • emilysfatsuit
    emilysfatsuit Posts: 23 Member
    Thank you for describing exactly how to make these noodles. I have a package of no calorie/no carb noodles that has been sitting in my fridge for a week because I had no idea how to make anything with 'em. Rinsing/dry frying must be the secret... they look yucky in the bag! But I'm all for zero carb/calorie noodles. Plus, I have PB2, and pretty much love anything involving the taste of peanut butter.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Is this okay on the Low Fodmap diet?
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Oh man, thanks for the heads-up! I hadn't heard of skirataki noodles but I just ordered some... gotta try them out!!
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    I was literally driving home wondering how to get pad Thai to fit my low carb eating...thanks!
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Sounds good! I do something similar.

Shirataki Noodles
    Natural Peanut Butter
    Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
    Cayenne Pepper

I heat the peanut butter and soy sauce until a little warm. I whisk it until it becomes smooth. It doesn't look like it will blend at first but it does. I add the cayenne pepper to taste and add misc. veggies. Broccoli, green onions, whatever I have.
  • Equina
    Equina Posts: 59 Member
    bump
  • OhNoSheDidnt
    OhNoSheDidnt Posts: 15 Member
    Saving
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    I tried it once, kinda tasted like long rice. The chicken wasn't done well. Kinda pink. I need to try a real bowl of it, thanks.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Are the noodles rubbery? I've attempted to make them twice trying to follow recipes but they are just too rubbery for my liking but I could be cooking them wrong.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Is this okay on the Low Fodmap diet?

No, it's got broccoli in it. And Splenda
  • KayLgee
    KayLgee Posts: 139
    bump
  • granolagirl
    granolagirl Posts: 45 Member
    Yum! Thanks for sharing this!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    explain dry fry? I'm kitchen challenged. :-)
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    bumping for future reference!
  • crystal075
    crystal075 Posts: 33 Member
    Wow, thanks. I love shirataki noodles! Great to hear different ideas.
  • BubblyBelinda
    BubblyBelinda Posts: 15 Member
    Those noodles can also be "cooked" by boiling for 1 minute after rinsing. You then drain and pat dry. They pick up the flavor of whatever sauce/seasonings you then put them with.
  • Noodles!! now i have to try it
  • cmk9191
    cmk9191 Posts: 23 Member
    I picked up the noodles yesterday, but the scare me. They look so gross in the package!!