Anyone else training for a 10k or half marathon?

I am going to start training for 10k, and would love to friend other people who are also just getting into running (or getting back into running) so we can cheer each other on!

I have done a few 10ks and half marathons, but that was a long time again and I was living somewhere that I always had a training buddy. Now I dont having any in-person training buddies, but I'd love some virtual ones!

I'm going to do a 14 week training program, and sign up for a 10k in early June.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    I'm not training for anything specific but hopefully be up to 20 miles by the summer feel free to add me
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    I have my first half in April! Feel free to add me!
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    I completed my first half-marathon last October. I have another one on May 4th and I'm training for my first full on June 15.

I love to chat about running, running nutrition and all sorts of other goodies. Add me if you'd like!
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    I am going to start training for 10k, and would love to friend other people who are also just getting into running (or getting back into running) so we can cheer each other on!

I have done a few 10ks and half marathons, but that was a long time again and I was living somewhere that I always had a training buddy. Now I dont having any in-person training buddies, but I'd love some virtual ones!

I'm going to do a 14 week training program, and sign up for a 10k in early June.

Yes! I have my first half marathon in April.. training for it now. I also have a 5k on March 29. I'm pretty new to running..i started september/october 2013. Feel free to add me!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    I'm training for my first 10K! I'm planning to run one May 18th.

I did C25K last summer and ran two 5Ks last year. I started C210K in January because it had been a few months since the last time I ran. I'm currently on week 6.
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    I have run numerous 5Ks and a couple 10Ks but never anything longer and its been awhile. I started back up running a couple months ago, hope to do a 10K this summer and planning for my first Half in September. Feel free to add me, also!
  • hark15
    hark15 Posts: 148 Member
    I was injured for a while and just started back into running again - training for a 10 miler in April. I was a pretty avid runner for a while so it was hard to be down and out. Since my injury my weekly training buddy has moved. I run with my husband on the weekends but I'm on my own during the week. Hoping to run my first marathon in the fall! Feel free to add me :)
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    feel free to add me-- I am new to running and i write a blog each week about my journey and love to have other runner friends.

and I am training for a half in 5 weeks =)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    this year i'm training for multiple 5ks, a 10K and then i'll be running a half at some point (maybe august) in prep for doing the tough mudder in Oct.

feel free to add me.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    I'm currently doing the bridge to 10k program and will be deciding soon if I will push on to a half this year or stick with 10-15km distances and tackle a half next year. Feel free to add me (same goes for anyone else who wants running friends on MFP)
  • bicirosa
    bicirosa Posts: 15 Member
    Wow, so great to get so many responses! I have a few questions for everyone:

*I have to start my training on a treadmill, since I live in Vermont and it's super cold and there isn't any shoulder to run on anymore with all the snow. Are there any tips, tricks, etc. that people use to make the treadmill not terrible? I get so bored so fast.

*What has kept you going beyond the initial burst of training? I usually start a new running training program, and when the 'newness' runs out, fall off and then have to start from square 1 again. What keeps you motivated?
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    I'm not training for anything specific, just working my way through C25K, then hopefully the 10k and half versions. Anyone can add me if they want.
  • Hortmama
    Hortmama Posts: 26 Member
    I am walking in a half marathon May 4, would love to be part of the discussion
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    So to answer your questions-- I started training on the treadmill because I was scared of the cold weather, etc.

I joined a local running group- I didn't realize that a lot of running shoe stores have them. That has helped me keep motivated, go outside in the winter, etc. They know where the side walks are clear and when it's safe to run in the weather, etc.

When I have to do treadmill running, I run intervals.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Half-Marathon at the end of May (last one was Jan 26th....) training officially starts next week (using a Hal Higdon 12 week plan)

*I have to start my training on a treadmill, since I live in Vermont and it's super cold and there isn't any shoulder to run on anymore with all the snow. Are there any tips, tricks, etc. that people use to make the treadmill not terrible? I get so bored so fast.

*What has kept you going beyond the initial burst of training? I usually start a new running training program, and when the 'newness' runs out, fall off and then have to start from square 1 again. What keeps you motivated?

It's even colder up here in Ottawa. My cure for the boredom of running on a treadmill is to run outside all year 'round. With the proper clothing (think merino wool & layers) you can run in any weather. I do wimp out and run on the treadmill when there's freezing rain otherwise out I go.

For me the run is it's own reward and what keeps me motivated is appreciating how good it makes me feel and how lucky I am that I can run.
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    I'm training for my 3rd half marathon.. I've done one each year since 2012 plus some shorter races as well. Hoping to do at least 2 half marathons this year. feel free to add me.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    My first half marathon in mid March, another at the end of May, and a marathon in October. Because I am insane.
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    training for a half marathon this year, did several 5k's , one 10k, and two 10milers!
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member

Hi - welcome to the wonderful world of running. I'm training for at least 3 half-marathons this year - my first is in 5 weeks, and i'm nowhere near ready. I'm in Michigan, so I completely understand your dreadmill challenge. I actually have decided to get an audio book that i love to read, and the only time i allow myself to listen is when i'm on the treadmill - at least, that way, i make myself stay on there until the chapter is finished... :flowerforyou:

as far as continuing - i started running in June 2012, and ended up getting a dog (springer spaniel) that September. He's my running buddy, and he's completely laid back - provided we get in at least 5 miles a day (walking or running). So, for me - my inspiration to keep it up is to not have a completely insane barky-dog who is so bored he's herding the children...

feel free to add me if you'd like - good luck!
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    HI there! I'm hoping to do a 5K this May and 10K in the fall. Trying to improve my pace this year.

Once the weather improves I will start doing weekly 6-8 mile long runs. I've been trying to do 6 mile long runs on the treadmill but that is pretty painful!