My hair!!!

I have been exercising and dieting for almost a year... The last 8 weeks I have been doing the couch to 5k app .. Which I finished tonight!!i found this to be a big challenge for me but I love it! So my question is has anyone noticed any hair loss with weight loss??? Maybe the exercise??? My hair is definitely falling out more than normal and even seems to be breaking off!! But it feels very healthy? I'm so confused ! Also I would like to say I sweat a lot when running .. More than most people.. I'm soaked when I'm done .. So maybe that too?? Idk

Replies

• 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    That's probably a nutrition issue. Are you getting enough protein and calcium? Taking a multivitamin? It isn't because of sweat...
  • You might want to consider supplementing your diet with Biotin. It helps with your hair.

But yes, hair loss can happen during weight loss.
  • ddeal26
    ddeal26 Posts: 14 Member
    I eat better now than I have in my entire life but yes maybe not enough if somthing !and I do take a multi vitamins ( when I remember )
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    You may want to check with your doctor and make sure you're not lacking anything nutritionally.
  • ddeal26
    I will check that out for sure !!tks
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Yeah, talk to your doctor about your hair loss and then talk to your stylist to see what products they have that can help repair damage. Something is definitely haywire....
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    I think perhaps you are on too few calories as this is one of the symptoms. Your diary isn't open so I couldn't check. How many are you eating net a day?
  • ddeal26
    I will check that out for sure !!tks
  • ddeal26
    I don't count my calories.. Maybe I should start .. I eat a big breakfast .. Some snacks in the day and a good supper! Then I workout after supper every night ... I'm losing about a pound a week now.. I've lost 78 lbs since last march
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    I have lost hair twice in the past couple of years. The way I knew it was -- a whole bunch of little short hairs growing in ...like right now...I have long hair but a bunch of short hairs are growning in on my temples and underneath in back. I did not cut calories
    severely so this is really surprising to me. :noway: :noway: :sad:
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    I don't count my calories.. Maybe I should start .. I eat a big breakfast .. Some snacks in the day and a good supper! Then I workout after supper every night ... I'm losing about a pound a week now.. I've lost 78 lbs since last march

No lunch?
  • ddeal26
    Mee too with all the little hair growing in ... Plus I have this hair that used to fit in my pony tail will no longer... Like a clump of 20 hair in a few different spots sticks out !! It's driving me nuts ????
  • ddeal26
    I take blueberries and a few strawberries to work and scarf them down.. Then an apple after work
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Go and see your doctor, just to make sure you don't have a problem with your thyroid. This was one of the symptoms that I had before my hypothyroidism was diagnosed.
    Do you pull your hair back very tightly into a ponytail? That can cause healthy hair to break and fall out.
    It could just be a natural renewal cycle, but it's always worrying when you think your hair is falling out too much.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Hi
    I'm a hairstylist of 13 years and I can tell you that weight loss can absolutely cause some hair loss along with breakage and brittleness especially if you've been losing for an extended period of time. Exercise itself will not cause it but it could contribute in that it's making you lose more weight. Your body is probably depleted in nutrients.

Nixon products work well to strengthen hair and reduce breakage but will not regrow hair. No product will make hair grow in unless its something like rogaine. I would take a multivitamin for sure and I think someone already mentioned biotin which I would also recommend. It should stop when your weight stabilizes so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it's like coming out in serious clumps and you have bald spots. It wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor about it but 90% of the time a doctor will not be able to determine a definite cause of hair loss.

Hope that helps :)
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    eat more protein :) ... it is very important ...
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    It's totally about hormones. When you workout hard you make lots of cortisol and testosterone. They are hard on the hair. It helps to take a natural vitamin/herbal supplement for hair loss, full of B vits and MSN (I think it's called) and other good stuff.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    I don't usually jump on the eat more bandwagon but if your hair's falling out you're not getting enough nutrition. Can't see your diary so I don't know what your intake is but maybe your exercise is taking your calorie intake below what it needs to be? If so, eat those exercise cals.

Like someone else said, get enough protein. Also, get enough fat (low levels will affect hormones).
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Definitely check with your doctor. But I also agree that your ponytail could be to blame, especially if it seems the hair is breaking off at that level. I have started braiding my hair instead, and I get MUCH less breakage.
  • rhodieridge13
    rhodieridge13 Posts: 20 Member
    Add a high quality whey protein to your diet, like UNJURY. or go to a local vitamin shop and try a months worth of protein powder and add it to almond milk to keep the calories low. UNJURY is the best, you order thru the manufacturers website at www.unjury.com