Anyone else training for a 10k or half marathon?

Replies

• CLanzaMartin
    CLanzaMartin Posts: 4 Member
    I just started training for Tough Mudder, in Nov....never done anything like this before. :smile:
  • Dgross1
    Dgross1 Posts: 24 Member
    I've run one 1/2 and a handful of 5ks. I am supposed to be training for my 2nd half in April, but have been struggling since I've been doing it on the treadmill. I might forego this one and run one this fall, instead. Feel free to add me!
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    I survive treadmills by keeping them relatively short and alternating my pace - I start at what is slow for me, then ever half a mile I increase the pace until I'm doing a pace that is very fast for me, then start decreasing in the same manner.

If it's above "Feels like" 15F and not too icy, I also run outdoors. But I can't quite bring myself to colder than that, or cold + wet.

Oh, and re the initial burst - I always sign up for my next race *before* I finish the one I'm training for. So like, I signed up for my 10K before I had ever run my 5K, which I had been training for. Then you can't stop.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    HM here, 30 Mar. And a few more after that. I'm in it to sharpen up my PR from last June. Feel free to friend me (anyone else too) for support/advice/humor :)
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Did a half last year. Trying out a training plan for a full, but it's starting to not go too well (aches, pains, tiredness). I might switch it up to a different plan (e.g. Jeff Galloway's conservative plan) or just settle on a half for now (there's one in May).

I am terrified of running outdoors right now. I don't mind the temperature usually, but the condition of sidewalks is super scary. I ran outside on the one truly nice day here, and some parts were perfect, and others were icy enough that I had to carefully walk.

How do you folks deal with the road conditions? Even stuff like yaktrax and stabil-icers don't fully protect me from ice.

For treadmill runs, for me the key is to mix it up. I change speed and/or incline every half mile and alternate between podcasts, music, and zombies, Run!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I am going to start training for 10k, and would love to friend other people who are also just getting into running (or getting back into running) so we can cheer each other on!

I have done a few 10ks and half marathons, but that was a long time again and I was living somewhere that I always had a training buddy. Now I dont having any in-person training buddies, but I'd love some virtual ones!

I'm going to do a 14 week training program, and sign up for a 10k in early June.

I'm on week 3 of Hal Higdon's 10K training for novices.
  • Dawnog
    Dawnog Posts: 39 Member
    Hi there, im running a half marathon on sunday, this will be my 3rd and by far the hardest to train for. The weather certainly hasn't been on my side, but knowing I have this half ive battled through hail storms, torrential rain, floods and ankle deep mud, but hey its been good fun, just hope all my training in the awful weather pays off on sunday.:happy:
  • Hello I am running my first Half this Saturday, and have another Half planned by the end of the year. feel free to friend me always love having new running friends
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    I'm doing a half in May. Been a couple of years since my last one. You're welcome to add me, and my weekly workouts were posted in my blog - an extended version of a Hal Higdon program :-)

Happy Training! :drinker:
  • Bounce2
    Bounce2 Posts: 138 Member
    Not always training for a race, but run 5 or 6 days a week and lift 2 or 3. That being said I am working towards a trail marathon in May. Always happy to add friends who run or are active and working towards a goal.
  • PunkRockChris
    PunkRockChris Posts: 27 Member
    Yes!! Hopefully running in Late May then Long Beach Marathon in October. Feel free to add me! I also track my runs using Endomondo if you want to find me on there too. Good Luck!

PRC
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    I started running in August. I used to be a couch potato before that. I recently hit my goal weight. I am running my first 10k (Actually my first event ever) on March 29th. I'm following a plan set by runnersworld.com. So far so good. 4 weeks to go!!!
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Hello I am running my first Half this Saturday, and have another Half planned by the end of the year. feel free to friend me always love having new running friends

Hi am also running my first HM tomorrow (Saturday). Anyone can add me, always looking out for more running friends.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Feel free to add me - I am running a half in May and maybe another one in the fall. I also do numerous 10k, 15k and 20k races.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    All are welcome to add me. I'm running a 10k in 2 weeks, the third and last of a winter race series (in Michigan - brr!) and a half marathon in April.
  • My first HM is May 18, I've been running indoors all winter and can't wait to get back outside! I did a couple of 5k's last year and have a couple planned for this year along with a 10k I hope after the half! Feel free to add me too!
  • IronmanNYC
    IronmanNYC Posts: 14 Member
    I'm coming back from an Achilles injury so I'm basically starting from scratch, hopefully within the next week or two.

Pretty new to MFP, so anyone can feel free to add me.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    Training for my 5th half marathon right now!
  • velocityc6
    velocityc6 Posts: 2,137 Member
    Would love to be on your FL. Started with the C25K program in December, ran my first 5K Feb. 8th. I immediately set sight on the 10k training program. Sunday will be day 1 of week 13, mostly dreadmill due to the cold. Week 12 seemed very difficult.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Hi, I'm running my first half marathon in May, another in July, and another (hopefully) in September. Feel free to add me, and anyone else can too.