Can I Eat Chocolate?

Apologies if this question has been asked previously, I was unable to find it. I have recently rediscovered how much I love chocolate. Thankfully I am the type to have 1-2 pieces and quit! I assume DARK chocolate is allowed on most diets, and I don't mind dark chocolate, but how dark? If I'm going to have my occasional piece or two, what type of guidelines should I be using for choosing and Eating?

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    You don't need anyone's permission to eat a certain kind of food, you're an adult. As long as what you are eating fits into your calorie goal for the day, you'll lose weight. That doesn't mean eat chocolate all day, because that would be a nutritional disaster, but if you've hit your nutritional goals for the day and have some calories left over, eat whatever treat you want. People here eat chocolate, cookies, or ice cream every single day and still lose weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Eat "good" or "clean" or "healthy" (whatever those words mean to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Eat chocolate!
    If you are diabetic, choose wisely but other wise just fit it into your daily calories.
    I am ignoring the donuts in the office break room so that I can have chocolates later. ;)
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    I agree with what is said so far. you can eat any chocolate you like, as long as you keep it within your calories and you don't eat chocolate all day :wink:
  • juliacatherine1
    juliacatherine1 Posts: 71 Member
    Just a few things I am unsure of. I have heard several schools of thought on the chocolate front.

Some say avoid it all together, which I won't because im an adult! LOL

Others say to enjoy occasionally but choose the highest % of cocoa. Like I said, I like dark, but im not really into that 70% stuff.

Is this because it contains less milkfat? and more of the beneficial type stuff?

If you're a chocolate eater, what is your happy medium between cocoa content and fat? (what do you eat)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Agreed, chocolate is allowed (you are a consenting adult:smile: ).

If you want to get the most out of your chocolate choice then Dark is the way to go. If you like it then 85% is nice (it can be a little bitter - I take the edge off with a nice glass of merlot).

Dark chocolate contains loads of polyphenols and healthy fats (monounsaturated and saturated - with very little polyunsaturated).

Epidemiological studies show that it can lower blood pressure. Plus a load of other cool stuff.

If you go for the milk chocolate types of chocolate you will find that the added milk and other chemicals will negate most of the good stuff dark chocolate does - but even the milk chocolate won't do you any harm and is tasty.

Like everything - moderation.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Yes. Yes you can.

Keep your calories to your deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    If you're a chocolate eater, what is your happy medium between cocoa content and fat? (what do you eat)
    I eat the chocolate that I like best (in moderation), and I enjoy the hell out of every single bite.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    No.

You can't.

At all*

(*lies. You can. Work it into your calorie deficit and nutrient goals. It doesn't have to be dark either. If you like other forms of chocolate then that is fine as well.)
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    I recommend Lindor Truffles. They are individually wrapped so it's easier to have just one. They come in quite a few flavors (milk, dark, mint chocolate <--my fave, white chocolate, peppermint, etc.) They are a chocolate "Shell" with a smooth almost melty center. Yummy!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    the very dark chocolates are lower in calories, so you can eat more of it for the same number of calories, that's it. Eat whatever kind of chocolate you want, log the calories, stay within your calorie goal, and you'll still lose weight. In fact by allowing yourself to eat anything you want in sensible portion sizes, you increase your chances of success in the long term, which is what counts, because it's easier to stick with healthy lifestyle changes in the long term if you don't feel deprived or tortured by them. So eat the chocolate, just log the calories carefully and stay within your goals. If you happen to like the very high percentage cocoa chocolate, that means you can eat more of it without going over your calorie goal. But if you don't like it there's no point eating it because self-torture is counterproductive to long term success.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Yes!! If you haven't tried Skinny Cow Chocolates then do! They're soooo good and low in cals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    yes, you can eat chocolate.

you can eat whatever you want, as long as you maintain your calorie deficit.

The 80/20 rule is always helpful. 80% healthy, 20% whatever you want = cookies, ice cream, cookies, cake, pizza, etc…
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Absolutely.
    All things in moderation.
    For me this is my new way of eating.................... forever.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    If I'm going to have my occasional piece or two, what type of guidelines should I be using for choosing and Eating?

Only eat enough to stay within your calorie and nutrient goals.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    As long as you can moderate your eating habits, eat whatever you want.
  • vinnie1979
    vinnie1979 Posts: 1 Member
    I totally agree with njd1979... Count whatever chocolate in your calorie deficit. Also, if you are exercising, do assume you can eat more calories. Try your hardest to eat your 1600 or whatever calorie allowance Myfitnesspal is telling you to eat. in less than a month, I dropped 23 pounds! We are all different, but I have my 2 - 4 pieces of chocolate every now and cut out soda completely!

Lots of luck everyone,
    Vinnie
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I love dark chocolate and when I'm craving will pick up a bag of the Ghiradelli Intense Dark Midnight squares, which is 86% cacoa. I had to become a bit of a chocolate snob in order to avoid the temptations. You can find milk chocolate everywhere but have to put some work in to find truly good high cacoa percentage dark chocolate - and most of the time I'm too lazy to follow through so the cravings are forgotten.

Now that I'm used to the really good, high cacoa percentage dark, all milk chocolate tastes like those cheap imitation chocolates to me. The lower percentage dark chocolates are ok by me though because they still have that stronger, almost bitter taste to them but tend to be smoother and I especially like when they add in yummy extras like dried fruits or nuts.

By the way, the difference is that dark chocolate doesn't contain added milk solids.

As far as fitting treats like this into your calorie goal, you could always get a little extra activity in or skimp on a meal or snack. As long as it fits your calories/macros, no harm done. And if you really are good about only having a 2-3 pieces, that's maybe 200 calories at most so it's no worse than any other reasonably portioned snack.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Just a few things I am unsure of. I have heard several schools of thought on the chocolate front.

Some say avoid it all together, which I won't because im an adult! LOL

Others say to enjoy occasionally but choose the highest % of cocoa. Like I said, I like dark, but im not really into that 70% stuff.

Is this because it contains less milkfat? and more of the beneficial type stuff?

This is all BS. Just eat the chocolate. Whatever kind you like best.

This seems to be Jerry's standard answer to everything in the world.

There is a difference, but based on eating 1 - 2 squares, it's not one that you need to be too concerned about.

Enjoy your chocolate:smile: