Have you tried steaming fish. This was Awesome!!

LucyGooseD
LucyGooseD Posts: 39 Member
Oh my goodness. This was so easy, and it didn't leave that lingering fish smell in the house

I loved this!! It is from Martha Stewart Living

2 red-snapper fillets (about 8 ounces each), skin on
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus a few sprigs for garnish
1 stalk lemon grass, trimmed and thinly sliced, or two 1-inch strips lemon peel***
2 scallions, cut into thin strips about 4 inches long
One 4-inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into thin strips (I used about 1/2 as much)
4 shiitake or white mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice-wine vinegar

*** I didn't have access to fresh lemon grass but I found prepared minced lemon grass in the produce section and followed the directions for the equivalent of 1 stalk

DIRECTIONS

STEP 1
Place a steaming rack in a large wok. Fill wok with water to 1 inch below the rack. Place a heatproof plate on rack, making sure plate doesn't touch sides of wok.****
STEP 2
Season fillets with salt and pepper. Coat lightly on both sides with sesame oil. Sprinkle flesh side with chopped cilantro.
STEP 3
Place one fillet on the plate, skin side down. Sprinkle with some lemon grass or peel; sprinkle remainder around plate. Place second fillet, skin side up, on top of first.
STEP 4
Scatter scallions, ginger, and mushrooms on top of and around fish. Drizzle with soy sauce and vinegar.
STEP 5
Bring water to a boil, turn down to a steady simmer, and cover wok. Steam until the fish flakes at thickest part, 10 to 15 minutes. Serve directly from plate.

***** ok don't have a wok either. I used a glass deep dish on top of a basket steamer inside a large pot. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will.

Replies