Alcohol?

Hey all!

I'm 23 and I've recently lost around 5 pounds, working out about an hour 5 days a week. I've noticed that every time I have alcohol, the next day I don't feel well. I literally doesn't matter how much. Two beers, one beer, or three sips of wine are enough to give me a headache and nausea the next day, when I used to be able to have maybe 4 drinks in a night and be fine. Do you guys have any ideas? I'm also hypothyroid, pcos and insulin resistant, but these are not new.

I'm planning on just giving up on alcohol, but I did hope that I could have a sip or two here or there.

Replies

• losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    I don't have any real expert advice for this, but I find that if I've had enough water to counteract the alcohol dehydration, or if I make sure to eat at least a little something after I drink, I don't feel so awful the next day. Hangovers worsen with age though.

Good luck!
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Vodka

Absolut Vodka 69 calories per 1 oz
    Skyy 70 calories per 1 oz
    Burnetts Vanilla flavored 69 calories per 1 oz
    Burnetts Whipped Cream Vodka 69 calories per 1 oz

Just mix with Diet Coke, Coke Zero or Diet Dr Pepper (ANY DIET SODA) and delicious!!

Get your drink on while dieting
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Hey all!

I'm 23 and I've recently lost around 5 pounds, working out about an hour 5 days a week. I've noticed that every time I have alcohol, the next day I don't feel well. I literally doesn't matter how much. Two beers, one beer, or three sips of wine are enough to give me a headache and nausea the next day, when I used to be able to have maybe 4 drinks in a night and be fine. Do you guys have any ideas? I'm also hypothyroid, pcos and insulin resistant, but these are not new.

I'm planning on just giving up on alcohol, but I did hope that I could have a sip or two here or there.

That's happening to me more and more as I get older (I'm 31). I think it could be migraine-related in my case.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    You could be sensitive to carbs.. thats my problem. I recently started having that hangover feeling no matter how much i drank of what. I have also had migraine problems but never thought the two were connected.

I went to my chiropractor and he told me the way my body is breaking down carbs is causing that horrible hangover feeling, the stiffness in my neck, my migraines, all of it. So he suggested I try cutting down on breads and things like that, trying to eat more produce and protein.

I still feel bad after drinking, there's nothing that can change that, but I haven't had migraines or neck stiffness in over 6 months!
  • I don't have any real expert advice for this, but I find that if I've had enough water to counteract the alcohol dehydration, or if I make sure to eat at least a little something after I drink, I don't feel so awful the next day. Hangovers worsen with age though.

Good luck!
    I agree with this. Staying hydrated is extremely important. I'm not an expert either, but from my own personal experience, 8oz of water for every alcoholic drink seems to do the trick. Though you may need more or less water, it all really depends.

Also, to counteract the nausea, it really helps if you don't drink alcohol on an empty stomach. At the least, have a snack or a light meal before drinking.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Vodka

Just mix with Diet Coke, Coke Zero or Diet Dr Pepper (ANY DIET SODA) and delicious!!

^^ Yup and you don't have to have soda, there are all kinds of flavored drops these days, I use water and add my flavoring of choice. My favorite is Dasani Pineapple Coconut. :drinker:
  • If you're also decreasing sugar intake, blood sugar will be lower and therefore the alcohol will affect you more. Drink lots of water and make sure you don't deplete your blood sugar too much! (Once went out with a calorie deficit for the day due to exercising and 3 shots was enough for me!)
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    WATER! This is pretty much the answer to most people's problems when they start a new exercise program. Did you know that someone working "pretty hard" -- say HR 150+ at the gym for an hour will sweat out 1-2 LITRES of water!! Chances are you are still only drinking enough water to sustain a sedentary body. And then... fun fact... alcohol dehydrates you! Usually if I am drinking at all I try to get an additional 500-1500mLs of water that day. Better safe than sorry and a good way to avoid hangovers & dehydration headaches.
  • losttogain
    I don't have any real expert advice for this, but I find that if I've had enough water to counteract the alcohol dehydration, or if I make sure to eat at least a little something after I drink, I don't feel so awful the next day. Hangovers worsen with age though.

Good luck!
    I agree with this. Staying hydrated is extremely important. I'm not an expert either, but from my own personal experience, 8oz of water for every alcoholic drink seems to do the trick. Though you may need more or less water, it all really depends.

Also, to counteract the nausea, it really helps if you don't drink alcohol on an empty stomach. At the least, have a snack or a light meal before drinking.

I find that having something in my stomach before I start drinking (at least a half hour before) and before I go to bed just to soak up a little more of the booze definitely helps.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Vodka

:noway: OP says he feels like crap when he drinks alcohol and your advice is to drink vodka??!
  • losttogain
    Vodka

^^ Yup and you don't have to have soda, there are all kinds of flavored drops these days, I use water and add my flavoring of choice. My favorite is Dasani Pineapple Coconut. :drinker:

If you need something fizzy, I usually get a vodka soda with either lime or a splash or something to give it a little flavor at the bar (or get a flavored vodka). If I'm home, I usually use diet flavored seltzer!
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Drink more water.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Hey all!

If one beer or just a few sips of wine make you feel ill the next day, I'd say you might want to consider not drinking!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    I agree that it could be a hydration issue. It could also be that the alcohol is having more of an effect because you are eating less food, too. I used to be able to drink 6 pints of cider on a night out and feel fine. Now, if I drink 2, I feel tipsy and pretty awful the next morning. I've actually given up alcohol now, except for really special occasions (as I don't like drinking my calories when I could have delicious, satisfying food instead).
  • What a great ideal to use the flavored drops and just order vodka and water
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    If you can live without alcohol that's the ideal scenario, in my world anyway (you're an adult so if you want to drink that's your choice).

If you want to have a drink every now and then and it fits into your calories then go for it.

My personal preference is red wine (but only because I've convinced myself if for health reasons) the more you can dilute you drinks the kinder it will be for your liver.

But then again your liver is a beast of an organ so if you are only drinking infrequently have what you enjoy.