For me, *this* is why WEIGHTS over CARDIO is KEY!

Replies

• dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    This thread was one of the main reasons why I bought NROL4W in about October last year. I started very, very slowly with bodyweight versions of the exercises and moved slowly up to adding weights.

I lift in my garage at home, with a little makeshift gym. I don't lift 'heavy' but I lift 'heavy for me'. Still slow and steady, but improving each week. I even have my husband on the lookout for a power rack so I can upgrade to something a little more professional-looking and have the proper equipment for when I finally get to the really heavy stuff.

My Mum has osteoporosis and my Dad has diabetes and I am determined that I will do everything in my power not to go down that path.

And stuff the cardio these days. It plays a role, and I run occasionally, but in all seriousness, lifting is 100x more fun.
  • alasuzzo
    alasuzzo Posts: 4
    You look fantastic and I agree with the weights;however, aerobic activity is also key in balancing with the weights for cardiac and pulmonary benefits as well. Keep it up!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,896 Member
    My update is on page ten of this thread. Cardio is good for my heart....but i still don't do a *kitten*-ton. Once a week is all i schedule time for....
  • You go! That is quite impressive.
  • jennz81
    jennz81 Posts: 194 Member
    Major difference! Excellent job, and keep up the good work. :)
  • jijita55
    jijita55 Posts: 14
    Wow!! what a difference ! you look fantastic! :)
  • HappyTravels
    HappyTravels Posts: 22 Member
    Bump
  • High five!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,896 Member
    Thank you!
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    You look fantastic.

Going to show my sister this who is convinced that she can cardio her thighs smaller despite me constantly telling her to get in the weight room!!!

Fab work :drinker:
  • Those thighs! Amazing!!

Okay, totally motivated to incorporate some weight training into my workouts. I also keep reading that increasing muscle mass will help you burn more calories, so no better time like the present to start weight training, right?
  • rieann84
    rieann84 Posts: 511 Member
    Weights intimidate me SO much. I don't know where to start and I'm too shy to ask anyone at the Gym to help lol but kudos for you!! you look WONDERFUL.

Don't. Start by just doing a walk through to get yourself okay with just being there around everyone. My gym has a vantage point from all the cardio machines where you can look down on the free weights area. If you can get a similar situation, spend some time just watching how people do things.

Youtube videos were a gigantic help to me also. Start with only the bar (which weighs 45 lbs) and work up slowly. The lightest plates at my gym are 2.5 so it makes it really easy to creep up into higher weights.

I find that people are friendly. There have been mixed reviews...I've had people say to me that I have good form on my squats & deadlifts. I've also had one guy come up to me and tell me I was bending my knees too much on the deadlift. (But then, watching him, I saw he was lifting his heels on his squats so I took it with a huge grain of salt)

There was another girl who did some pretty impressive lifts and she always had this really intimidating face, but she also gave me some pointers and we got to talking. She's super nice. Now, when I go to the weights area I know some people and say hello.

Just get in there and do it, trust me. You can also ask the staff if you have any questions. I think you'll get nothing but respect for getting in there and trying. Like I said, you might get people giving you tips, but as you learn more you can tell what to listen to and what not to.

I have never had anyone be mean spirited or rude to me while in the free weights.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Awesome!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • oyunett
    oyunett Posts: 3
    That's why I'm joining you as from tomorrow...Ive heard enough of people telling me I will look like a man while I'm fat like an elephant.
    hahah u made ma day
  • funkim55
    funkim55 Posts: 216 Member
    Congratulations!!! You look fantastic!!
  • dclark566
    dclark566 Posts: 330 Member
    Love this! Awesome. I am 6 weeks into weights and LOVING it! Already losing inches
  • ironchick84
    ironchick84 Posts: 27 Member
    Great job!
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Awesome job!(:
  • 12wks ago I started seriously lifting as heavy as I can as the majority of my workout(45min) and Maybe 10-15min of cardio work at the end. My diet wasn't perfect (around 2wks of the 12 my diet was horrible) BUT...I still lost 3.5inches on my body so I'm pleased with that. :) The scale didn't move but that's ok for now. Congrats on your success, you look great!
  • Sadiyyah70
    Sadiyyah70 Posts: 38 Member
    WHOA this was exactly what I needed! Thank you so much for sharing this...I'm 43, lost 60 pounds with nutrition and cardio, reached my goal weight but my bod fat% is still waaaay out of hand (plus I CRAVE a different look and feel to my body). Thanks to the MFP community I KNOW the key will be to start lifting but I'm too scared to start. I'm doing T25 now (wk 4 day 5 tomorrow) and looking forward to beta phase (more strength training) to give me some confidence. My plan is to then do Body By You (YAYOG for women) or NROL4Women to start body weight exercises, and then getting a trainer to learn form with weights (so scared of hurting myself or not getting results because I don't know what the heck I'm doing!). My goal is to be confident enough to take advantage of the free weights in my community's gym, lift heavy and reap the rewards.

Your transformation is amazing and an inspiration to this 40+ gal!! I'm excited to think I can (WILL) do the same for myself...thanks again and keep the updates coming please:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!