Calorie burn in X3 workouts

Smoked33
Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
I know we've talked a lot about the X3 workouts not having a great calorie burn so now that I have a good HRM I thought it would be good to see just what all the fuss is about. The test group results(if they are to be believed ranged from 400-600 per workout with some as high as 1000 within the following hour of the workout. Each day I do an X3 workout I'll provide some calorie info...and anyone else with a HRM I would encourage to publish your results as well.

Incinerator: (after 30 mins, 60 mins, 90 mins, 120 mins where possible)

30 : 322 calories, 60: 420 calories, 90: 475 calories, 120: 533 calories burned.

I would say I did the workout with high intensity although for the back exercises I am ready to go up 5lbs so there was a little left on the table. My HR stayed above 80 almost for the entire 2 hours! just after 120 mins it dropped under 70 and then quickly fell down into the mid 50's where it normally is and I spend all that time sitting on the couch watching TV in order to hav ea nice baseline.

Take from that what you will :)

Replies

• SciRice
    SciRice Posts: 68 Member
    I had no idea that those were the burns reported from the test group. The most calories Ive burned was with MMX - 365cals - and that was the third time I did it. I havent experienced a 400cal burn yet. Currently in the recovery week of block 2. I think block 3 is going to bring in the burns though. There are alot more cardio days than in previous blocks and now that you are more familiar with the moves you can give more and ultimately burn more. We'll see what happens...
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    I do not seriously think that wearing HRM long after the workout is showing anything meaningful, they are not designed for that. HRM designed to estimate DURING the workout that is all.
    So you burned 322 calories during the workout, that is all you can conclude base don your HRM.

If you have a bodymedia/fitbit ec, which designed to be worn 24 hrs, than you can compare day with no P90X3 and a day with a P90X3 workout calorie expenditures.

If you look at P90X (not P90X3) nutrition guide ,it estimates that you need to account 600 cal/day on average for an average person. P90X is 60-75 minutes per day. Although you always work harder a the beginning , P90X3 probably a little bit more than proportionally would be. I would say 300 cal per day on average.( 400 for the cardio, 250 strength training, 150 for stretching workouts) For some petite women it probably less, for large man probably more.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    I agree, tracking calories after the workout seems silly to me. once you're back to resting HR what's the point?
  • Smoked33
    I do not seriously think that wearing HRM long after the workout is showing anything meaningful, they are not designed for that. HRM designed to estimate DURING the workout that is all.
    So you burned 322 calories during the workout, that is all you can conclude base don your HRM.

If you have a bodymedia/fitbit ec, which designed to be worn 24 hrs, than you can compare day with no P90X3 and a day with a P90X3 workout calorie expenditures.

I'll be honest and say that I wouldnt' have thought to keep it monitoring after the workout until I saw the test group do so in a few youtube videos. I've just done some reading and found in fact they aren't designed to be accurate outside of the workout...that said for me it will be an accurate indication of how intense my workout was. I know that my normal resting HR is between 50-5 bpm so seeing it remain over 80 for that long after a workout speaks to the intensity of the workout which does corelate to caloric expenditure even if the number itself is not 100% accurate. I'm not basing my diet off of the number i see so it's going to be a guide. It will also be interesting to see over time as my fitness improves how these results change.
  • Smoked33
    I agree, tracking calories after the workout seems silly to me. once you're back to resting HR what's the point?

The point is I wasn't back to resting heart rate until 1 1/2 hours after I finished working out :) My resting heart rate is low-mid 50's, not 80+
  • jsantus
    jsantus Posts: 53 Member
    I only count the calories used during the workout too. I don't plan on changing that, however it IS interesting that your heart rate didn't return to normal until an hour & a half later. Maybe I'll leave mine on sometime and see how long it takes mine to return to normal resting rate.
  • redheadmommy
    I'll be honest and say that I wouldnt' have thought to keep it monitoring after the workout until I saw the test group do so in a few youtube videos. I've just done some reading and found in fact they aren't designed to be accurate outside of the workout...that said for me it will be an accurate indication of how intense my workout was. I know that my normal resting HR is between 50-5 bpm so seeing it remain over 80 for that long after a workout speaks to the intensity of the workout which does corelate to caloric expenditure even if the number itself is not 100% accurate. I'm not basing my diet off of the number i see so it's going to be a guide. It will also be interesting to see over time as my fitness improves how these results change.

Also normal resting rate hare rate as the name suggest is for RESTING. Even if you are just walking around a bit/standing , cooking etc , your hear rate is higher than the resting.
    There is a tremendous amount of individual variation on how fast or slow your heartrate goes back to normal. The more fit you are the faster it goes back to normal.

Anyway, the whole method of wearing HRM after the workout is bro-science at the best, totally inaccurate. The only thing we can conclude that strength training do increases calorie burning after the workout, which is a common knowledge.

I have not seen those youtube video claims , but I generally try to avoid beachbody infometials. They need to do make flashy claims like that because that sells more copies. When P90X come out, it has no competition on the homeworkout market. Now there are many to choose from, so they need to come out some tangible quantifible hing to show why do you need to buy this ONE and not the others. Tony and beachbody makes good workouts, but people do not want to hear that his is a good /hard workout, and if you put the effort you will get some results. People want to hear that everybody lost 10% body weigh, people burned upto a 1000 calories etc. Big flashy number sells.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    bump
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Very interesting. I am starting Block 3 on Saturday and I was wondering what the actual burn would be for P90X3. I am currently using a different approach to my eating which seems to be working for me. I might start using my Polar FT4 when I start my second set just to see what my burns are
  • maxiefit
    maxiefit Posts: 53 Member
    I'm lucky if I can get my piece of *kitten* Polar to monitor my heartbeat for the duration of a workout, so I never even bother to try to monitor it after.
    I will say though that I am consistently surprised by how few calories I burn in these workouts - I average about 100 for stretchy ones, maybe 120-150 for strength workouts, and 170-ish for cardio workouts? It's really discouraging but I'm choosing to believe it's related to my body type :)
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member

Also normal resting rate hare rate as the name suggest is for RESTING. Even if you are just walking around a bit/standing , cooking etc , your hear rate is higher than the resting.

I was going to mention the same thing.
  • redheadmommy
    I'm lucky if I can get my piece of *kitten* Polar to monitor my heartbeat for the duration of a workout, so I never even bother to try to monitor it after.
    I will say though that I am consistently surprised by how few calories I burn in these workouts - I average about 100 for stretchy ones, maybe 120-150 for strength workouts, and 170-ish for cardio workouts? It's really discouraging but I'm choosing to believe it's related to my body type :)
    Your HRM may not necessary bad, but large boobs/ sportsbras get in the way of the HRM straps. I have similar a problem with my new top of the line Garmin HRM not I getting the signal. Sometimes I look at it and it shows heartrate like 100 and I am swimming in my sweat. I check my strap and it moved around and the sensor part is not near chest anymore or it moved up and the bottom of my bra is between my body and the straps, so it is not getting the signal. I adjust the straps and voila it goes up to 140 in 5 seconds later.
    One day I may buy one of those sports bras which has HRM strap mbuilt in them, but they are rather pricey, plus often do not come in a large enough cupsize.
  • maxiefit
    maxiefit Posts: 53 Member

Your HRM may not necessary bad, but large boobs/ sportsbras get in the way of the HRM straps. I have similar a problem with my new top of the line Garmin HRM not I getting the signal. Sometimes I look at it and it shows heartrate like 100 and I am swimming in my sweat. I check my strap and it moved around and the sensor part is not near chest anymore or it moved up and the bottom of my bra is between my body and the straps, so it is not getting the signal. I adjust the straps and voila it goes up to 140 in 5 seconds later.
    One day I may buy one of those sports bras which has HRM strap mbuilt in them, but they are rather pricey, plus often do not come in a large enough cupsize.

I definitely don't have a large boob problem hahaha, but I guess it could be shifting. It's weird because sometimes it flat out doesn't pick up my HR, then other times it's no problem, then other times it's fine until the last 10 minutes or so of my workout and no amount of shifting or re-wetting will make it work again. Because the problem is so sporadic I can't figure out how to solve it and I swear the satisfaction of seeing my total calorie burn is about 70% of the enjoyment I get out of working out!
  • I have experience a pretty high calorie burn from p90x3... I have a lifetrak c300 HRM. These are just from my personal experience, but cals burned has been pretty consistent. I am on block 2, week 5. I am doing the lean schedule. Here are some of my cals burnt for the tougher programs. Didn't list them all..

Accelerator:476+ cals
    MMX: 465+
    CVX: 450-460+
  • redheadmommy
    I have experience a pretty high calorie burn from p90x3... I have a lifetrak c300 HRM. These are just from my personal experience, but cals burned has been pretty consistent. I am on block 2, week 5. I am doing the lean schedule. Here are some of my cals burnt for the tougher programs. Didn't list them all..

If you have time, please list them. I would be curios of the others. You listed the cardio workouts, which obviously would be the highest burn can be achieved. Total synergistic and similar ones probably will be lower and the flexibility ones like Dynamix are probably much lower.
  • Smoked33
    Minor setback on Thursday when I stubbed (and jammed) a toe in my right foot so i've only been able to train on my bike for the past few days...but i did Dynamix last night and burned 190 calories... I love the workout because I need stretching and flexibility bad. The 200 was a nice bonus as I thought it would be lower.
  • groundhawg
    groundhawg Posts: 121 Member
    I didn't see where they made a claim regarding 500 average burn per workout? I did see a video where the test group did CVX with HRMS and they burned between 300-600 calories depending on the person.

I would be interested to see what I burn, but I feel mostly dead at the end of each work out any ways. LOL. MMX destroys me.
  • I have experience a pretty high calorie burn from p90x3... I have a lifetrak c300 HRM. These are just from my personal experience, but cals burned has been pretty consistent. I am on block 2, week 5. I am doing the lean schedule. Here are some of my cals burnt for the tougher programs. Didn't list them all..

If you have time, please list them. I would be curios of the others. You listed the cardio workouts, which obviously would be the highest burn can be achieved. Total synergistic and similar ones probably will be lower and the flexibility ones like Dynamix are probably much lower.

Here were my lowest cals burned. I am curious to see others as well. :)

Dynamix: 120-140
    X3 Yoga: 203+
    Pilates X: 230+
  • tcardena
    tcardena Posts: 17
    I'm 5 days in on my first round of Block 1.

Syngergistics: 231
    Agility X: 332
    Yoga: 118 (wore it the first time just to see)
    The Challenge: 231
    CVX: 375

I expect these to increase the second time around as I was just trying to get used to the moves.
  • Smoked33
    CVX - 330 cals. I'm a bit hobbled on my right foot so intensity was medium.