Scary Doctor Visit

ywalchle
ywalchle Posts: 101 Member
I was a very thin child and didn't start gaining a lot of weight till I was about 13. I was still fairly active at the time and I didn't think anything of it. Fast forward 22 years...

I'm 34 about to be 35 next Sunday and two weeks ago I went to the doctor for foot pain, he at the time also took my blood pressure and with it being high told me I was going on medication and HAD to lose weight. Since than due to the BP medication and a change of A LOT of things in my life, I've already lost 11lbs. I've had people tell me it's unhealthy and I need to watch it so I don't get sick. What they don't understand is that simple changes to my diet, and drinking considerably more water than soda (went from 1- 2 liter at home a day and 2-3 20oz's at work, to 1-2 20oz's a day). I'm trying to find new veggies and fruits that I like as I've never been a bigger eater of either.

I know I'm going to have some issues along the way. I'm a person who when depressed, sad, or even uncomfortable will reach for comfort foods. I've had a couple of stumbles along the way, but honestly it's been way easier than I thought it would be to try a few new things here and there and find what works for me.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Congratulations for making these positive changes and already seeing the results! Stick with it and you will continue to benefit in so many ways. Good luck to you!
  • Congrats on making healthy lifestyle changes in your life! I know it can be tough to change your habits, but sooner or later you will enjoy eating fruits and vegetables! Keep up the fantastic work!
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Yes, congratulations on choosing the better path! Although some would see the 11lb loss as "unhealthy" I personally think it's great. Now if you kept that pace, then yes, that is unhealthy but the first 2 weeks or so you'll drop water weight and then as you continue you'll be at a more normal pace of 1-2 lbs a week, or so depending on how much you have to lose.

Keep up the great work!
  • shira324
    shira324 Posts: 156 Member
    It sounds like you've had a wake up call, and making a commitment to change is a big step, so congrats! For me, the hardest part is controlling my hunger. I understand that if I move more and eat less, I will lose weight. I understand how to measure my food carefully and log every morsel, and how my heart rate monitor calculates what I burn during a workout. My mind gets it. I've seen results, I KNOW that this method works. But hunger is one of our most powerful survival instincts. It clouds my mind and judgement, and it's tough to be stronger than the hunger. I find that reminding myself of my goals makes it easier. Walking into a store just to look at the clothes that will fit me in a few more months, or looking at pictures from better times in my life, those things keep me focused. Believe in yourself, you can definitely do this!
  • kidtechnical2
    kidtechnical2 Posts: 11 Member
    Well done, sometimes we need a kick up the bottom like that to really pull things into perspective. I have had a fitness rebirth after peeing on a stick and getting a positive for glucose, thankfully blood tests indicate all is normal & it must have been a rogue urinalysis stick, but it was all I needed to realise I can't keep putting this weight loss/fitness off any longer. 11lbs isn't unhealthy if you've not drastically restricted your cals and it doesn't sound like you have, just made some positive changes.
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    I lost 13 lbs my first week of dieting. Being 227 lbs and needing to be about 125-130 lbs meant the weight was going to come off fast at first. Trust me, the more you lose the slower it will go. I, too, was on BP meds (2) at the time. Losing 60 lbs. meant saying goodbye to those medications. Congratulations on your start! I never drink soda anymore and have switched to a more protein and veggie food plan with a few treats thrown in occasionally. I'm still working at getting another 20 off - it's going to take awhile!!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I lost a little over 40# the first 2 months on MFP, but I had a lot to lose. I am 62 years old.

I had issues with my knees and did not begin to exercise until I had lost 90#. I was out of breath from just walking up a flight of stairs. I began walking. At first only 15-20 minutes. Losing the weight took a lot of stress off of my knees and feet. The weight loss made a huge difference.

You can do this too!

Log everything you eat and drink and eat less calories than you burn.

Good luck!
  • KetosisTina
    KetosisTina Posts: 197 Member
    You've taken the first step. You've decided to do something about it. Remember though this should not just be a quick fix diet but a journey. It won't always be easy but try and enjoy the ride.
  • congratulations on your success so far......if you just stick with it, measure everything, move more.....you will do it.....don't give up.....we are all here for you.....feel free to add me as a friend if you want.....I've been here a long time....just different name.....I'm on everyday.....best of luck to you....:)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    I'm 34 about to be 35 next Sunday and two weeks ago I went to the doctor for foot pain, he at the time also took my blood pressure and with it being high told me I was going on medication and HAD to lose weight. Since than due to the BP medication and a change of A LOT of things in my life, I've already lost 11lbs. I've had people tell me it's unhealthy and I need to watch it so I don't get sick. What they don't understand is that simple changes to my diet, and drinking considerably more water than soda (went from 1- 2 liter at home a day and 2-3 20oz's at work, to 1-2 20oz's a day). I'm trying to find new veggies and fruits that I like as I've never been a bigger eater of either.
    I lost 10 lbs. in the first 2 weeks..it will probably slow down a little (I lose around 1/2 lb. every other day now), but as long as you are going in the right direction, just keep going.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    Your post made me smile! Big congrats to you for taking these major steps to better health. Your future self undoubtedly thanks you for taking the initiative now.
  • I would suggest that you make sure you keep your food and exercise diary, tracking everything you are eating and your daily physical activity. Take it with you to your doctor's appointment and share it with your doctor. Let them tell you whether you are getting enough calories. My first week, I dropped 10 pounds and have been dropping 2-4 pounds a weeks since then. I see my doctor every 2 weeks and we review my caloric intake and exercise plan. He wasn't too keen on the strength training because building lean muscle that replaces fat causes less net weight loss and he wants to maximize that net loss. Since i am still exceeding his loss goals and my biweekly visits don't show any adverse effects, he is content with me doing what I am current engaged in.

So the bottom line is, you have to have it to loose it! Initial large weight loses are normal for some folks and then things normalize after a few weeks. As long as your doctor is monitoring what you are doing, go for it. Be honest with them so that they have all of the information. Fad diets and starvation plans are all recipes for disaster, there are plenty of horror stories pout there. Healthy eating and a regular exercise regiment are the only safe way to loose weight and improve your overall health. Good luck in whatever you find works for you.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Hello there! i am 34, mother to 4, happily married, I also use to weigh 330pds! You can do this!! Do not give up, trust me its worth it in the end! Good luck!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,749 Member
    Taking control of your life is a great help for depression. Try a "comfort walk " next time you start to reach for "comfort food."

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • tweetybird960
    tweetybird960 Posts: 4 Member
    Good for you ! Cutting out the pop is a huge step in eating healthier! Pop is just empty calories & sugar & diet pop is worse yet! Just remember to log every thing you put in your mouth & watch your sodium intake! Potassium is important too! Try & research the health benefits of eating foods high in potassium! Good luck!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Its scary to be told by your doctor that you must loose weight. So congrats on getting staryed. Remember this is a process of ups and downs so dont become discouraged. Add me if you like, I'm here daily.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Every journey starts with a baby step. I think losing 11 lbs. in a week is amazing and a GREAT incentive/motivation. Losing too much weight too fast results in a lot of loose skin. You want to be able to exercise as a part of your day in order to lessen this and build some muscle. You have already leaps in decreasing your pop intake by such a big degree, which I have been told is extremely hard to do.

Keep going and I'll be here to cheer you on.