Daily Check-in and Chat

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Ugh so talking knee pain, I jinxed myself. My 26 yo niece came for a visit and my bright idea was to go for a run at the Central Park Reservoir, which is very pretty at night. Well there was ice still all over it. I felt bad since we were out on a bit of a cold nite so we ran on the road - which I'm not suppose to do, too stressful to my knees. To add to it, she was a brat and kept pushing the pace despite me pulling the "slow down you're half my age" card.

Thought my knees were just sore a day, til a workout with single leg thrusts, skater lunges, SL RDLs. Owww. Had to sub out everything. May have to skip that particular one for a while.

Otherwise still plugging along. Despite the bulking fluff these thrusts must be doing something. My husband has been slapping my butt a lot lately. :blushing: :wink: :love:
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Hi all,
    Just started my third week today, and still enjoying it--though I really hate the way the bar feels on my hips during barbell glute bridges/hip thrusts. Ouch. And so awkward getting it into place...but, small sacrifices if ti makes my butt look better.

I've lost a couple of lbs thanks to very careful eating and am feeling tighter/fitter. Now I just need the determination to KEEP GOING. I have a bad habit of stopping with the discipline as soon as I start to feel like it's working!

I'm going to weigh/measure/take pics tomorrow...my plan is to do that every 2 weeks to track my progress.

Hope you all are doing well. Sorry to hear about the continued knee problem, Gigi. I'm still dealing with a shoulder/neck irritation, even after a very intense deep-tissue massage on Friday. Stinks.

Amanda
  • Soo excited to have found this group! I have started the glute only verson. Today is day one week 2. I have kinda changed the format. I do mon(c), tue(a), thur(b), fri(c). C day is the only one with heavy lifting so I want to hit it 2x a week but have enough time between to give myself enough recovery time. I was doing SL5x5 and loved it but realized my glutes were not responding as quickly as the rest of my body.

I had learned from the book I am extremely quad dominant and this is a big reason squats and deads have shaped my legs nicely but completely missed my glutes. I choose the glute only program first to re wire my brain to activate this powerful muscle.

I have taken before pics and plan to take progress pics at the end of each month.

Once I have run this 12 week program I will prob move to the advanced program with a few modifications since my lifts are mostly where he says they need to be for this. I just don't have the body weight pull ups down so will have to work my way up there.

Now I'm curious if there is a "progress pic gallery" thread or is it something I can start and have everyone post their pics in?
  • GiGiBeans
    http://www.motherfitness.com/common-barbell-hip-thrust-issues-for-women/

Thought this might come in handy for some! Maybe we should have a video reference thread for the hip thrust variations and different equipment, set ups yada yada?

The suggestion of progress pics seems like a good one for those comfortable with that kinda thing. :drinker:
  • dandelion39
    Hi Rob's girl, and thanks for the link, Gigi! I do find those hip thrusts uncomfortable!

I don't know if I'll post my progress pics in the thread (yet) but I did take pictures when I started and this morning, after 2 weeks and 8 workouts. I was really happy to see actual progress! My butt's already a bit higher. Measurements are down, too. Yay!
  • Ok I started the thread. All I have is my before but they are up. Dandelion, there is no pressure and I am sure you will post in there when you feel comfortable.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1216448-strong-curves-progress-gallery-let-s-inspire-each-other

I have started to feel a difference in the muscles I use when I walk. I am noticing that my glutes are firing with each step and it feels like I move faster and easer than I ever have. I'm truly loving this switch in muscle activation!

Edit to add in the link.
  • GiGiBeans
    I can't post my before pics because I'm nekkid :blushing:

I'll see about taking some forum friendly ones of my big bulking butt :laugh:
  • Buahahahaha, you can always pm them.:bigsmile:

It would be nice to have some company in there I'm feeling kinda exposed.:blushing: I'm hoping the thread takes off and becomes a place of motivation, inspiration, and support.
  • GiGiBeans
    Buahahahaha, you can always pm them.:bigsmile:

It would be nice to have some company in there I'm feeling kinda exposed.:blushing: I'm hoping the thread takes off and becomes a place of motivation, inspiration, and support.

I should PM all of you nekkid pics of my butt for motivation not to get old, lazy and flabby :tongue:

But you have company now. I posted stats and only one pic because I am bulking and try not to look at myself these days.
  • mpeery8
    mpeery8 Posts: 8
    jamaicanlady- Last week I experienced knee pain while doing hip thrusts. Thank goodness this week my knees seem to be ok. Hoping your knee pain got better as well.

Gigi- I'm bulking while doing the program too! I'm loving the strength gains but getting annoyed with having to wear my fat pants. Hoping I'm getting some nice muscle under my layer of fat. I plan to start my cut in 4.5 weeks for summer.

dandelion- I bought a hampton bar pad and my hips feel so much better when doing hip thrusts/bridges.
  • dandelion39
    Hi ladies!
    Week three down...liking the program better now that I'm more used to it and have the set-up more streamlined. Not loving the bruises on my hipbones, but they do make me feel tough!

Okay, okay, Robsgirl and Gigi, you've inspired me with your butt bravery--I'll put up progress pics on the thread next time I take them.

Mpeery--I've been using the bar pad at my gym, but it still doesn't help that much. I guess it's just the way my body is. I'm not even thrusting/bridging that much weight!

I'm jealous of those of you who are bulking. I'm eternally hungry while cutting and lifting/HIITing 6x a week! But, I do feel like the fat is coming off (slowly) so it's worth it, for now...

Have a great weekend, all!
  • GiGiBeans
    Hey it got quiet around here! Hope everyone is doing ok!

Finishing up week 9, but really should be week 10. Work has been wearing me out and only getting 2 lower bodies in. Was going to bulk until end of April but struggling at this point to get to end of March. It's hard watching the scale go up and a lot of my weight go to my butt and thighs. I know I've gained muscle in my back and shoulders but afraid it's more fat than muscle elsewhere.I've gained faster than intended too. Eep. Already at goal end weight *sigh*

Well live and learn right?!?
  • Hey it got quiet around here! Hope everyone is doing ok!

Finishing up week 9, but really should be week 10. Work has been wearing me out and only getting 2 lower bodies in. Was going to bulk until end of April but struggling at this point to get to end of March. It's hard watching the scale go up and a lot of my weight go to my butt and thighs. I know I've gained muscle in my back and shoulders but afraid it's more fat than muscle elsewhere.I've gained faster than intended too. Eep. Already at goal end weight *sigh*

Well live and learn right?!?
    Bulking is a mind trip! Maybe just reduce your surpluss to just 100 cals over TDEE and finish your bulk? Good luck!
  • dandelion39
    Hi ladies,
    Sorry I haven't been around much. It's been a crazy week. Just finished week 4 of the Advanced program. I'll take pics/measurements on Tuesday (4 weeks exactly) and perhaps will post progress shots. My diet hasn't been on-point this last week or 10-days, though, so I'm thinking I won't see a big difference. Nothing crazy, just haven't really been tracking, have been over-carbing. Eh. Sometimes you can't be perfect! But, I'm going to try to be better this week. I just put all the week 5-8 workouts into my phone app to get started with the next bunch on Monday. I hope everyone else is doing well!
    Amanda
  • GiGiBeans
    Ha ha so the trouble I've been having doing the Bulgarian split squats is because I wasn't stepping out far enough from the bench when I set up. For some reason doing a HIIT YouTube workout with them in it made it finally click because she took a much bigger hop forward in setting up than I do. Voila, knee trouble solved!

So I hope peeps are still at it and feeling results. I know I'm going to need a few more rounds of the program aesthetically but am really happy with the strength results. I feel stronger when I move and since I often lug heavy things up and down stairs, stronger glutes is a blessing! Even my back feels better! Mad love for this program.
  • dandelion39
    Okay, ladies, just posted picks of my flabbiness in the "inspiration" thread. Looking at the progress from start to now (4 weeks) I do see some changes, so that's exciting. And I've only lost 2.5 lbs in that time. So, if I could really get my diet dialed in, I think I'd see some more results with the fat loss...now to actually do it!

Hope you're all having great weeks.
  • GiGiBeans
    Woot woot, more tushies in the progress section!

Dandelion, yours is the only post with comparison pics so I'm going to be so bold as to comment! I definitely notice a difference in glutes & hammy separation and more roundness! Looking good!

I'll be cutting very soon and will commiserate with ya about getting the diet down right.
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Ladies I've been so busy I haven't had the time to check in here. I've still been working out my usual 3 days a week though. My knee pain seems to have gone now that I'm no longer doing isohold hip thrusts. I will NEVER do those again!

mpeery, how are your knees feeling? Are you doing isohold hip thrusts? Those could be the problem.

Gigi where in the program are you? Sounds like you're at the end, or almost. Btw, I went through that same thing while bulking. But it was worst for me because I bulked when I was already fat. I kept second guessing myself and I ended up ending my bulk a month early. Here in Jamaica we don't have winter so no hiding the fat under clothes. It was out there for everyone to see. But I think you should continue, stick with it, I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

Amanda I definitely see a change! You're looking GREAT! Now I wish I had taken before pics! :sad:

Robsgirl, that thread is such a great idea. I'm at the end of the program and didn't take any before pics. :sad: I'll still post my pics sometime this weekend though, although I look AWFUL.

AFM, I'm currently in week 11. My weight has plateaued though. I tried eating less, nope. I tried alternating hi cal and lo cal days, nope. This week I squeezed in a HIIT session. Wish I could do more but my schedule doesn't allow it. Will see how/if it affects my weigh in on Sunday.

On a happier note, just bought myself an Airex balance pad. I've been stuck at hip thrust 190 lbs for weeks now because of the pain in my hips. It was very discouraging, and I know my glutes wouldn't grow without progressive increase in weight. Plus each time I hip thrusted it, I don't think I gave it my all with my glutes because I was so focused on the pain. Last week was the first I wrote "increase weight" in my log book. Not because the pain is gone, but it had become more tolerable. Anyway, got my pad on Tuesday, used it on Wednesday. What a difference!!! I hip thrusted 195 lbs pain free!!!! I LOVE this thing. And it is thin enough to easily roll the bar over, and thin enough that if I ever get to a weight that I start feeling hip pain again, I can use my yoga mat on top of the pad to ease the pain. So ladies if you're feeling pain you really should get one of these. I can't recommend it enough. (Except it's bulky and annoying to take to the gym, but definitely worth it).

Anyway, heading to the gym now with my big and bulky pad. Excited!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    What up ladies? Didn't even know this group existed so I'm glad I found it. I'm on Week 2 of the Advanced program. Honestly I miss my old program (PHUL) but really need to focus on the lower half of my bod, so I decided to try Strong Curves. I'm going to stick with it, as with each workout I'm liking it more and more. I'm currently doing my first bulk - on week 7 and so far have gained 3 lbs - yay! Nice to meet you all!
  • GiGiBeans
    There you are jamaicanlady! Figured you've been busy. Grats on the progress! I suck at single leg stuff but making progress. I need to foam roll more and loosen up!

Ended my bulk a little early. I gained way too fast (14 lbs in almost 12 weeks)and a lot of hormonal issues were progressively getting worse with my higher carb intake. I think I started with a lil more body fat than I should have as well.

I've been averaging 2 lower body workouts a week (and 2 upper) so not fully adhering to the suggested SC schedule. I'm thinking of switching to a 3 day full body soon using the Strong Curve template. The booty still needs lots of work and could really use that 3rd day.

Citrus - fantastic progress! *doing the happy booty dance for you*

freckles - hi, I've seen ya around the forums, nice to see ya here!

The rest of you lovely ladies - keep on thrusting! :wink: