Is anyone surprised they didn't actually weigh more?

Thinking about my calories (right now I'm at 1390 net daily to lose 2 lbs/week)-it can be hard to stay in goal without exercise, even when I feel like I'm eating healthy and moderately. I am actually surprised I wasn't 100 lbs heavier after years of not giving a care what I put in my mouth...it it tasted good, it it was free, if I was hungry, or sad, or happy...it all went in my tummy! I'm sure I regularly ate at least 3,000 calories daily and led a very sedentary life. Having 2-3 full sized candy bars a day was normal...half a large pizza for a meal no big deal. Now that I've been on this journey for 7 months, I can put calories in a bit more perspective, which makes me actually wonder.

Replies

• AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    I once ballooned up to 350 or so when I got severely depressed. I think I purposely ate enough to hurt myself. 350 on me is extremely bad because I'm only 5'7'', and short for a guy. I used to drink a 2 liter of pop and eat entire loaves of white bread, or an entire large pizza by myself in one sitting too (2-3 Cici's Pizza). I'm surprised I didn't get over 400+
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    That pop probably helped a lot! I know it's silly, but even when I didn't care about what I was eating, I still always got diet drinks...you know...that large fries and drink with that...but make it a diet. Because technically it was saving on some calories...
  • I'm surprised - there was a dark time when I binged on Wetherspoons and other fast food places. Loading up the stats now on MFP makes me a bit sick, looking at them now. I'm surprised I didn't get to 150kg+.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I started at 210 lbs or so, although I had been heavier: up to 240 lbs a few years earlier. Once I started doing the math I was honestly shocked I didn't weigh 300 pounds or more.
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    I often think the same thing. I also look at others and wonder how they don't weigh more than they do. There is a lady that has a son on the same basketball team as my son. At tournaments, I see her and she is constantly eating: doughnuts, pizza, junk and she weighs about 110 and is pretty tall.
  • I kind of had an experience with this yesterday.
    I haven't weighed myself since September 2013. But I know I gained a ton of weight because I stopped exercising and I fell back into old habits. At the gym yesterday, I was brave enough to step on the scale and I'm 60 lbs. lighter than what I thought I'd weigh.

And, to add, I was vey obese when I started my weight loss journey and it's a wonder how I didn't have a heart attack with how I ate. 2 chicken burgers with extra mayo and fries after midnight, regularily.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Thinking about my calories (right now I'm at 1390 net daily to lose 2 lbs/week)-it can be hard to stay in goal without exercise, even when I feel like I'm eating healthy and moderately. I am actually surprised I wasn't 100 lbs heavier after years of not giving a care what I put in my mouth...it it tasted good, it it was free, if I was hungry, or sad, or happy...it all went in my tummy!

I dread to think what I've eaten in a day calorie wise before. I too am surprised I was not bigger, I'm lucky as well in that I do hold my extra weight quite well but I've been shocked a few times by the amount of calories in certain things. That and it wasn't unusal for me to get a curry at 3am after a night out :/
  • licorice_tea
    licorice_tea Posts: 59 Member
    Yes actually! I ate huge quantities of food, and especially loved pasta doused in olive oil and parmesan cheese. And yet I only gained about 10 pounds per year. I went from 140 to 170 in three years (at 5'7") but hell, I'm surprised I wasn't obese! My brother managed to go from normal to obese in about a year, and my dad has done it in the past as well.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Yes I'm surprised too now that I know what calories are in my foods/portions. Holy cow. :sick:

Someone else mentioned wondering how people didn't weigh more and I sometimes wonder the other direction too. I know one lady that is quite large but I never see her eat. I'm heading to the concession stand or dragging food out of my bag and I just never see her eat anything. Her kids are super tall/big for age (but not heavy) and they harass her endlessly for $/food, lol. I can't imagine the amount of food that must go through that woman's house with her big family.