ALWAYS tired!

2»

Replies

• WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    I've never had my thyroid checked. I mentioned it to two different doctors, and they brushed it off and said there was nothing wrong with my thyroid without even checking. I'm going to request specifically for a thyroid test from another doctor. The weight I gained came from nowhere, no change to diet or exercise, which I understand to be a symptom of that.

Time for a new doctor, I'm thinking. Thyroid disease runs in my family and those are definitely the two main symptoms. I told my doctor I wanted mine checked because it runs in my family. She asked if I had been feeling fatigued (wink wink, nudge nudge). I said sure and we had it done as part of my bloodwork. It's not cool when doctors ignore you, this is their job.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Your goal may be 1600 but according to your food diary for the last week, you ate more like an average of 1350 per day. Start with eating more, especially foods high in protein and healthy fats.
  • marshrowan
    marshrowan Posts: 64 Member
    I would get my iron levels checked...or B12 or other blood work and make sure all is fine.

this!!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Also ask them to check your parathyroid Hormone (PTH) levels and blood calcium levels. A lot of doctors will check for thyroid, but not this. If your PTH levels are above 65 and your calcium levels are above 10.0, then you have an overactive parathyroid. Left untreated, it will cause osteoporosis, fatigue, irritability, bone pain, etc. If your levels are outside the normal range, go here www.parathyroid.com and read more about it. Most doctors don't think to check for it (it's a simple blood test). I was diagnosed after 10 years of feeling "just not right" and low energy. Had the surgery to remove the offending gland and I feel like a whole new person.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Your goal may be 1600 but according to your food diary for the last week, you ate more like an average of 1350 per day. Start with eating more, especially foods high in protein and healthy fats.

No, the 1350 is my average after exercise.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Have a can of Red Bull....
  • ekztawas
    ekztawas Posts: 114 Member
    Wow! Find a new doctor. I agree with another person who said the sudden weight gain and tiredness are two main symptoms of a thyroid issue. In the span of three-four months I gained about 30 pounds while exercising regularly and eating fairly well. THAT IS NOT NORMAL.

Request the thyroid tests (T4, TSH, etc.) again. If they deny you ask to be referred to an endocrinologist who knows what they are doing. That is so frustrating!
  • Slaintegrl
    Slaintegrl Posts: 239 Member
    I've never had my thyroid checked. I mentioned it to two different doctors, and they brushed it off and said there was nothing wrong with my thyroid without even checking. I'm going to request specifically for a thyroid test from another doctor. The weight I gained came from nowhere, no change to diet or exercise, which I understand to be a symptom of that.

Any doctor that would say there is nothing wrong without blood tests ain't worth the diplomas hanging on the wall, IMHO!
  • DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Get your thyroid checked, for sure. Also talk to your doc about getting a sleep study. Do you sleep alone? If you have a partner, ask them if they notice anything about your sleep. Do you snore?

What you're describing with your fatigue was me before I was diagnosed and treated for sleep apnea.
  • Iron_Duchess
    Iron_Duchess Posts: 429 Member

No, the 1350 is my average after exercise.

Eat you exercise calories back so you net your 1600 calories
  • bren998
    bren998 Posts: 92 Member
    I had the same problem. I had blood work done & it turned out that I was low on vitamin D.
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    have your thyroid tested. you sound very similar to me, and my levels were off, so they put me on a synthetic hormone to try to help. Just started about 4-6 weeks ago. Not sure if it works or not....but we'll see ;)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I'm guessing you need more carbs to fuel your workouts.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    My dr ordered some labs for me-checking for Vitamin D, iron deficiencies as well as other things. I'd like direction myself with always being tired.
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Vitamin D deficiency? There is research suggesting it COULD (nothing definitive yet) be related to chronic fatigue. This deficiency is more common in winter (shorter daylight hours and you're not outside in the sun anyway). But it's also becoming more common year-round since people wear sunscreen all the time now to protect their skin. I have twice had winters where I could not get enough sleep and both times had low vitamin D. Supplementing it really helped.

Not saying this is your issue, but something to consider with your doctor.
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    It could be a deficiency even if you take vitamins. Some people take vitamins on an empty stomach or with water, but you are supposed to take them with a meal that has fat in it, so you absorb most of them. Vitamin D is fat soluble.
    I see you have a shake in the mornings. I'd try taking your vitamins with a healthier dose of fat than the shake and see if it helps.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Definitely could be iron as that has happened to me, I was given a strong vitamin which has tremendously make a difference.