Large amounts of meat, cheese deadly as smoking

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    If anyone actually bothered to read the study in cell metabolism they'd see how silly it is. The link is based on questionaires sent to people, and the study did not note what factors they controlled for. Then the "scientists" went and injected mice with both hormones and live cancer cells and were amazed to discover that growth hormones promoted the growth of live cancer cells. That's not really all that shocking.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    What the actual study (not the Fox news report) really says is that people who in middle age follow a high protein animal diet have higher mortality and higher levels of growth hormone IGF-1).

What the study does not tell you is if people who follow a high animal protein diet also engage in other unhealthy practices in general. In particular, do they also consume more animal fat, weigh more, exercise less, eat less fruits and vegetables, etc. That is very likely and may be contributing greatly to the higher mortality rate.

1. - The report is everywhere, not just Fox.

2. - I had the same reaction as the post above. I didn't see, in the reports I looked at, any account of what other coinciding conditions occurred or any attempt to account for them. I'm guessing people around here eat a lot of protein because they're doing a lot of work and want to feed their muscles. Looking around my typical American city, I'm thinking that may not be the case for the typical person who eats a high protein diet.
  • fast_eddie_72
    fast_eddie_72 Posts: 719 Member
    I completely agree with this. I've lost a ton of weight just cutting out cheese. The only animal product I eat is white fish, which I eat a lot. I feel so much better. My skin is clearer, my hair is healthier, my digestion is great... I believe that sugar and cheese and red meat are like poison. We should get it out of our diets! asap!

Just to be fair, I've lost 21 pounds and I've *added* cheese and meat to my diet. My diet while gaining weight had a lot more carbs in it and much less protein. But that lends little to support what it's saying, since the study didn't talk about weight at all, which I'd wager is a big part of the flaw in the logic.

(edit) Oops. That wasn't accurate. I've lost 22 pounds. Actually, maybe 23 now. It's been a good week.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    This talks about risks. That's all it is.

If I exercise outdoors instead of indoors the risk of being hit by a meteor increases in 80%!!! :huh:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    True-or-Fox-News-small_zpsc8f12ed0.jpg
  • echoesmyron
    echoesmyron Posts: 28 Member
    Here is the link to the study that all of the news reports are based on if anyone is interested.

http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/retrieve/pii/S155041311400062X#Summary
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Eating meat is bad for the animals the meat is made from. I hear it is fatal for them.
  • The study this is based on is awful

See here for why the method is flawed: http://t.co/ntEeSGgnHS

See here for why the statistics are flawed, and that there may have been a financial confliction of interest: http://t.co/AW6V73X3rf
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    ermagerd imma die.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    yes fox news covered it, but it was also published by the university which did the study, the University of Southern California:

http://news.usc.edu/#!/article/59199/meat-and-cheese-may-be-as-bad-for-you-as-smoking/

as well as legitimate magazines and papers:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/diet-high-in-meat-proteins-raises-cancer-risk-for-middle-aged-people/

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/eating-animal-protein-may-be-as-harmful-as-smoking-scientists-claim-9169335.html

etc. etc. the list goes on. It was a real study done by real scientists in a real university. Real studies do happen, and this was a real one.

Everybody gets so damn touchy when people point out how bad meat is for you, because, as they say, "I like to eat my bacon."

Well friends, I got news for ya: I like to smoke cigarettes, but that IS NOT GOING TO MAKE THEM HEALTHY, just because I like them.

Better to know the truth and have the opportunity to change our diets accordingly, than to play dumb and then wonder why we have higher rates of cancers and heart disease than cultures who don't eat much meat.

I am afraid that until people get Ph. D's in medicine and conduct their own 18-year long studies which refute this information, none of us can really argue with the findings with equal authority to those who did the study. We just got to suck it up and deal with the facts.

I am not saying I am never going to have another burger nor another cigarette - but I also have enough sense not to pretend they are healthy to have regularly, just because I like them, when science says otherwise.
  • MontgomerySue
    MontgomerySue Posts: 1 Member
    No more balanced then the liberal networks... can we keep on topic of health and fitness and leave the politics out of it!!
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Did he just link FoxNews in the OP?

:noway:
  • yes fox news covered it, but it was also published by the university which did the study, the University of Southern California:

http://news.usc.edu/#!/article/59199/meat-and-cheese-may-be-as-bad-for-you-as-smoking/

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/diet-high-in-meat-proteins-raises-cancer-risk-for-middle-aged-people/

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/eating-animal-protein-may-be-as-harmful-as-smoking-scientists-claim-9169335.html

etc. etc. the list goes on. It was a real study done by real scientists in a real university. Real studies do happen, and this was a real one.

Everybody gets so damn touchy when people point out how bad meat is for you, because, as they say, "I like to eat my bacon."

Well friends, I got news for ya: I like to smoke cigarettes, but that IS NOT GOING TO MAKE THEM HEALTHY, just because I like them.

Better to know the truth and have the opportunity to change our diets accordingly, than to play dumb and then wonder why we have higher rates of cancers and heart disease than cultures who don't eat much meat.

I am afraid that until people get Ph. D's in medicine and conduct their own 18-year long studies which refute this information, none of us can really argue with the findings with equal authority to those who did the study. We just got to suck it up and deal with the facts.

I am not saying I am never going to have another burger nor another cigarette - but I also have enough sense not to pretend they are healthy to have regularly, just because I like them, when science says otherwise.

Your clearly another muppet who didn't even read the article, don't worry though, your not alone, as the authors on those 'reputable' magazines and papers didn't bother either, otherwise they would have noticed the study didn't even look at smoking!

It's a correlational, cause and effect study so you can't actually conclude anything.

They conducted analysis on their data, then chose sub-samples to compare negative correlations of protein. The actual study found no negative effects of protein on cancer or mortality in those over age 50.

Thus the media headline should have been: Animal protein does not cause cancer.

When they looked at 50-65 year olds, they found a negative effect, but a positive effect over the age of 65. Tell me, why does protein cause cancer and death at age 65, but suddenly prevent cancer at age 66?

And why did they choose age 50-65 and not 50-70? Undoubtedly because there were no significant findings in the later group.

Everything about the paper stinks,

As for the conclusion that animal protein is worse than plant? Animal protein accounted for the vast majority of all protein intake, if you mathematically factor that out, of course your effect of protein is going to disappear.

So why would someone conduct such a study so flawed to make animal protein look bad?

Lets not forget the head author owns L-Nutra a low-protein plant based company whose supplements claim to prolong life.
  • If you wish to consider the truth behind this headline go to the below blog and read the article. It looks at the source of the research.
    Best yo be properly informed rather than just opinionated !:smile:

http://examine.com/blog/
    High-Protein Diets Linked to Cancer: Should You Be Concerned?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    What the actual study (not the Fox news report) really says is that people who in middle age follow a high protein animal diet have higher mortality and higher levels of growth hormone IGF-1).

What the study does not tell you is if people who follow a high animal protein diet also engage in other unhealthy practices in general. In particular, do they also consume more animal fat, weigh more, exercise less, eat less fruits and vegetables, etc. That is very likely and may be contributing greatly to the higher mortality rate.

^^^ this is the problem with studies that only show correlation.... it's a starting point, i.e. suggesting that more research is needed, but it does not prove cause and effect. The above factors could explain the same data.

Additionally, modern hunter-gatherers eat lots of meat, yet don't have western rates of cancer. (and yes modern hunter-gatherers frequently do live into their 80s, so it's not a case of people dying too young to get cancer). So that's more evidence that the meat itself isn't causing cancer, and that it's some other lifestyle factor.

Finally, the study quoted only showed the increased rate of cancer in one age group. In the oldest age groups more animal protein actually had a protective effect. So even for a study that's supposed to show correlation, it isn't all that good.....
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Isn't this the same correlation study that was picked up by the Guardian and turned into a sensationalist headline by that rag? Nothing to see here. :yawn:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member

Sorry if I'm being really dim (it happens to me most of the time).

What is wrong with having higher levels of growth hormone and IGF-1 in your body? Builds muscle and strength.

Plus these are things the body naturally produces, in fact isn't it one of the reasons a lot of people (body builders in particular) intermittent fast, and train in a fasted state?

Might be wrong, would love some feedback if I am (that's not meant in a pissing contest kinda way - would just like to see a different view)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member

Sorry if I'm being really dim (it happens to me most of the time).

What is wrong with having higher levels of growth hormone and IGF-1 in your body? Builds muscle and strength.

Plus these are things the body naturally produces, in fact isn't it one of the reasons a lot of people (body builders in particular) intermittent fast, and train in a fasted state?

Might be wrong, would love some feedback if I am (that's not meant in a pissing contest kinda way - would just like to see a different view)

Who would want muscles or strength?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    yes fox news covered it, but it was also published by the university which did the study, the University of Southern California:

LULZ
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Well no poop, Sherlock. Everybody that knows anything about proper diet knows that humans are supposed to eat plants.