New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• fishbarn
    fishbarn Posts: 90 Member
    Hi Linda

I've been a T2 since Jan 2011. I'm controlling my T2 by diet & exercise. I've never been on any medication of any kind.
    My Dr has always told me to keep my carbs low & exercise at least 30 minutes 3 to 4 times week. If I do just that the weight will com off. So far I've lost all but 20 pounds of my goal weight.
  • raggiemom
    raggiemom Posts: 139 Member
    Hi...my name is Deb. I will be 62 in a few weeks, and I have had type 2 since 2005. My blood sugars are relatively well controlled with diet and 1000mg Metformin a day. I occasionally spike when I overindulge!! Right now I am trying to lose about 50 lbs. Joined MFP about 3 weeks again and so far have lost 4 ponds. I don't have too much trouble staying under my calorie goal for the day but I go over on some of the other goals like fat and protein. Having recently diagnosed with high cholesterol, going over on the fat grams is a concern. I also have high blood pressure. Basically, my body is falling apart!! Hoping losing some weight will help all my issues. Looking for friends for support and accountability on my journey.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 456 Member
    Hi, I'm Chris, and I'm a carboholic...

I'm 63, inching closer to 64.

I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes in 1999.

It's been up and down.

I've controlled my diabetes with oral meds, not enough exercise, and diet. But...my weight has crept up over the last 5 years again, so here I am, working on it once more. It was never easy. It's even less easy now.

I've lost 3 pounds. ( I know, big wow, huh) I haven't been able to exercise every day (lousy weather for walking and I just didn't get my indoor exercise done the last 2 days).

This afternoon I was particularly frustrated. I am eating less and doing ok but after lunch I was SOOOO dopey. I was sure my glucose levels were LOW... I'd had half an orange with lunch and when I tested my glucose levels it was 132. Half an orange??? WTH. I haven't had that much of a sugar reaction after eating a candy bar!!! I'm so frustrated. I'm starting to feel like everything I eat is poison. I had some projects to work on but I didn't dare try because I was afraid I'd get stupid and mess something up.

:sad:

And I have been feeling great and thinking I am doing so well, too. It's VERY discouraging.

Well. that's my sad story for today. I'm sure tomorrow will be better.
    Thanks for being here; I figured that somebody in this group can relate.

:wink:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Chris, sorry it was a rough day for you. Some days are just like that. I was diagnosed around the same time as you but only started to be serious about dealing with it in 2012. I've lost 89 lbs with 11 left to get to my ultimate goal. But I'm stalled out. My bg likes the way I'm eating right now, but I haven't been doing enough exercise either. I HATE winter and cold. I never noticed cold until I got to a normal weight. But springtime is coming - for both of us :)

I have no advice - just wanted you to know you aren't alone!
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Hi...my name is Deb. I will be 62 in a few weeks, and I have had type 2 since 2005. My blood sugars are relatively well controlled with diet and 1000mg Metformin a day. I occasionally spike when I overindulge!! Right now I am trying to lose about 50 lbs. Joined MFP about 3 weeks again and so far have lost 4 ponds. I don't have too much trouble staying under my calorie goal for the day but I go over on some of the other goals like fat and protein. Having recently diagnosed with high cholesterol, going over on the fat grams is a concern. I also have high blood pressure. Basically, my body is falling apart!! Hoping losing some weight will help all my issues. Looking for friends for support and accountability on my journey.

Hi Deb, Welcome and nice to meet you!

It's great you're taking further steps towards improving your lifestyle. The myfitnesspal program, I've found-when applied correctly-is a valuable tool and has help me to reach and exceed my goals.

Congratulations on your progress!:drinker:

I welcome the opportunity to offer you any help I possibly can.

Wishing you continued success and improvement.

~Bob
  • bdubya55
    Hi, I'm Chris, and I'm a carboholic...

I'm 63, inching closer to 64.

I was diagnosed with type2 diabetes in 1999.

It's been up and down.

I've controlled my diabetes with oral meds, not enough exercise, and diet. But...my weight has crept up over the last 5 years again, so here I am, working on it once more. It was never easy. It's even less easy now.

I've lost 3 pounds. ( I know, big wow, huh) I haven't been able to exercise every day (lousy weather for walking and I just didn't get my indoor exercise done the last 2 days).

This afternoon I was particularly frustrated. I am eating less and doing ok but after lunch I was SOOOO dopey. I was sure my glucose levels were LOW... I'd had half an orange with lunch and when I tested my glucose levels it was 132. Half an orange??? WTH. I haven't had that much of a sugar reaction after eating a candy bar!!! I'm so frustrated. I'm starting to feel like everything I eat is poison. I had some projects to work on but I didn't dare try because I was afraid I'd get stupid and mess something up.

:sad:

And I have been feeling great and thinking I am doing so well, too. It's VERY discouraging.

Well. that's my sad story for today. I'm sure tomorrow will be better.
    Thanks for being here; I figured that somebody in this group can relate.

:wink:

Hi Chris,

I too am sorry to learn of your struggles. I can honestly relate and empathize with the feelings you're experiencing, having been up and down emotionally, including long periods of diabetic burn out over the years since my diagnosis in 1982. It's a normal occurrence and experience for many, and your not alone here.

You're absolutely right, it's never easy-and it never will be, but you've made an important improvement towards your weight loss goal through the choices you've made.

Living with this condition is so very emotionally frustrating at times. It's consistently-inconsistent.

Wishing you better days ahead!

~Bob
  • Alsvic
    Alsvic Posts: 93 Member
    Hi my name is Al, I am 56 and I was diagnosed with T2 January 27th.

I live in a major metropolitan area with lots of resources. I have been attending Diabetes and nutrition classes. The dietician do me to cut my caloric intake to 2000-2200 a day. I know that seems like a lot but I was eating way to much (3000-3500 a day) I was bumping up against 350 pounds. Needless to say the T2 diagnoses was not a big surprise and I was kind of expecting it at some point.

Some people at work were talking about tracking what they eat on My fitness pal so I gave it a try. The Data Base is way easier then tracking Carbs on Paper with a calculator. I have lost 21 pounds so far and my doctor is very pleased with the results. I told her My Fitness Pal was one of the reasons for my success. I am still trying to figure out what foods are screwing with my glucose levels. Being able to track every thing and compare it with the glucose numbers is fairly easy.

So I have a question that I hope someone can help with, This morning when I woke up my Glucose number was 110 I put twenty minutes on my Stationary Bike before breakfast. Just for grins I took a reading and my level was 211, my levels have never been that high so I took another reading and it was 150.

Just out of curiosity is it alright to ignore the occasional level that just doesn't seem right?
  • bdubya55
    Hi Al, Welcome!

It's great you've been attending diabetes and nutritional courses, as many newly diagnosed with this condition find them to be very beneficial.

Equally wonderful is your decision to utilize the myfitnesspal program, as intended along with it's powerful tools to help you achieve your goals. Congratulations on your progress so far!:drinker:

This condition is so very individualistic. To include, but not limited to, the blood sugar therapy (oral/insulin) meds we take, in addition to our nutrition and exercise routines and blood sugar target goals.

To that end, many find exercise has an (+/-) impact on their blood sugar management. Our blood sugars are constantly changing from one minute to the next during the day, oftentimes with no two readings alike.

It's important to clean and dry our hands prior to testing to ensure the most accurate test result possible.
    I personally don't ignore any test result, however if there is a trend of testing results that are not within my
    target goals, I make an adjustments, noticing my healthcare team too.

Good luck and continued success!
  • raggiemom
    Thanks Bob...it's nice to be a part of this group!! Any suggestions for a low fat/low sugar comfort food snack??? During the day, my snacks are raw veggies or some fruit. At night I want something different, like chips!! I was eating low salt chips, but the fat content is high so I decided to give them up for Lent! I have unsalted peanuts in the shell but again the fat and protein is high. I like popcorn but I usually like it with butter and a little salt. It's often that evening snack that pushes my fat or protein over the allotted grams, even though I'm still ok for calories!! Any suggestions would help.

Deb from Ontario, Canada.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Deb, I know exactly what you are talking about. At night I want a snack, especially when it's cold. Normally it's not because I'm hungry but just want something. In the year and a half that I have had tight control on my diabetes, I have gotten rid of most processed foods, so chips, Chex Mix, cookies, sweets, etc. don't reside in my house. I do still keep Ritz crackers because my grandbaby likes them. So if I'm really wanting something I'll do peanut butter crackers, but only 5 crackers. And I eat them very slow - little bites. I include the peanut butter to keep my BG from spiking too fast (pb has fat and protein). I generally know if I CAN have this, because I have planned my day of eating beforehand. Planning for it is key!

If I don't have the calories or carbs left, I'll just do some hot decaf coffee - which I totally love.
  • raggiemom
    Thanks Cathy. That is a good suggestion. I know my mother has crackers and cheese or peanut butter at night; she's diabetic too. Will have to give it a try. Savings those calories for night is a good idea. Congrats on losing 89lbs.!!
  • Hi, I am Lauriena, I am 40 years old, and I was diagnosed as T2 on Jan 15th, 2014. Currently taking Metformin and may have to go on a statin if my cholesterol does not come down after 3-6 months of the diet change. Since my diagnosis, I have lost 10 pounds, and am trying to keep that momentum going. Loosing it at a slow but steady pace so far.

I made myself crazy for the first couple of weeks trying to figure out how to manage and control everything. My doctor gave me some information that was incorrect, according to the local diabetes association, so along with having the diagnosis dropped on me rather abruptly, I was given some incorrect info. I bought a few books, and they all contradicted what the doctor had said.

I was able to get in to see a nurse at the diabetes association, who helped me out a great deal. I have also done one information session with them last month, and am doing one with the dietician on Wednesday of next week.

I am trying to eat healthier, and not become so neurotic about my numbers. I know I have to stay on top of them, but I wast taking it almost to the extreme, and was having days where I didn't want to eat at all because I felt like I wasn't allowed to eat anything. Days where I was trying to decide if I should have a glass of skim milk, or if I had to save those carbs so I could eat supper that night.

Edited to add my age, as much as it pains me to admit it in public most days...
  • bdubya55
    Hi, I am Lauriena, I am 40 years old, and I was diagnosed as T2 on Jan 15th, 2014. Currently taking Metformin and may have to go on a statin if my cholesterol does not come down after 3-6 months of the diet change. Since my diagnosis, I have lost 10 pounds, and am trying to keep that momentum going. Loosing it at a slow but steady pace so far.

I made myself crazy for the first couple of weeks trying to figure out how to manage and control everything. My doctor gave me some information that was incorrect, according to the local diabetes association, so along with having the diagnosis dropped on me rather abruptly, I was given some incorrect info. I bought a few books, and they all contradicted what the doctor had said.

I was able to get in to see a nurse at the diabetes association, who helped me out a great deal. I have also done one information session with them last month, and am doing one with the dietician on Wednesday of next week.

I am trying to eat healthier, and not become so neurotic about my numbers. I know I have to stay on top of them, but I wast taking it almost to the extreme, and was having days where I didn't want to eat at all because I felt like I wasn't allowed to eat anything. Days where I was trying to decide if I should have a glass of skim milk, or if I had to save those carbs so I could eat supper that night.

Edited to add my age, as much as it pains me to admit it in public most days...

Hi Lauriena . Welcome to this great, very knowledgeable and very supportive community. An initial diagnosis of this condition can be so very overwhelming at first. Congrats on your weight loss progress so far. Slow but steady progress is the best approach. Well done!

Unfortunately oftentimes, there is much misinformation given out, that's not very beneficial to those of us living with this condition. I firmly believe, it's only through sharing our own individualistic experiences and research do we learn what's best for each of us. Please know you aren't alone here!

In the end, It's OUR diabetes. It's good you're seeking out the further help from a dietition, experienced with a condition of T2D. Many newly diagnosed find these sessions to be very beneficial.

Try and keep in mind though, there isn't a "perfect diabetic." It's improvement towards our individualistic blood sugar management goals that count. It's about the balances of the food choices we make, and how those choices we make, affect our blood sugar management goals, by testing with our blood sugar meters, and by testing again 1.5 to 2 hours after mealtime, to learn the affects, if any those choices made meet our goals .

Have a look at the Diabetic Online Resource thread, along with the various other threads within this community, and ask questions when you're comfortable.

I welcome the opportunity to offer any help I possibly can.

Best wishes!
  • diabetesdieter
    diabetesdieter Posts: 47 Member
    Hi everyone, I was just officially diagnosed two months ago (on my 5 year old's birthday). I have lost 25 pounds since and have been exercising over an hour each day. I am probably a little obsessive about my diet now, but my dad died at 60 from diabetes related heart disease (I am adopted, but still have it!). The moment I knew, I totally changed everything about my eating and exercising. I am on metformin 2 times a day. My blood sugars are great after exercising. My fasting is still around 105-110 (even when it's under 100 at bedtime...grrr). Otherwise, my numbers are all in the "acceptable" range. Usually well under 140 at 2 hours. I am hoping to drop my meds when I reach my goal weight or at least need less...

I would love to have some diet buddies who are T2.

Kerri
  • bdubya55
    Hi Kerri, Welcome to the Type 2 Diabetes Support Group!

Congratulations on the great progress you've made in such a short time. Your decision at the onset of your diagnosis to make the necessary changes to your lifestyle is very commendable.

You'll quickly find this group to be very knowledgeable, supportive and friendly-eager to share their experiences on what works for them and what doesn't-while reaching towards our goals.

Wishing you continued success towards reaching your new lifestyle goals. :drinker:

Bob
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Hi everyone. I am a 38 year old female with type 2 diabetes. I have had symptoms or at least precursors to diabetes my entire life. When I was a child I had reactive hypoglycemia, which is a precursor to diabetes. I was a very thin and active child. When I became a teenager I started getting skin tags. My menstrual cycles become irregular. My doctor said I was making too much insulin due to insulin resistance. I have a HUGE family history of diabetes. Both parents, all four grandparents, 14 aunts and uncles, and 2 siblings all have type 2 diabetes as well. One of my uncles was diagnosed with type 2 at 17. One of my uncles died at 32 from diabetic complications involving fatty liver disease. I have 2 uncles that have had amputations, one was on dialysis but sadly he passed away at age 53. My grandmother is blind from diabetes as well, so I have seen firsthand what can happen if you don't control it. I was officially labeled prediabetic in by early 20s at around 115 pounds. I slowly started gaining weight I believe mostly due to eating too many carbs and my insulin resistance. I was diagnosed several years ago with full blown type 2 diabetes. At first I was started on Metformin and then Lantus, and then Humalog with meals. The insulin caused major weight gain for me. So I went on a low carb high fat diet and my blood glucose improved drastically. Im proud to say I'm currently off all meds and insulin. I have gradually increased my carbs and now more on an Atkins way of eating and my blood glucose has never been better. My liver dumps have stopped too. My last hgba1c was 6.9 in December, but I'm scheduled for one at the end of this month. I believe it will be around 5.0 based on my meter readings. I checked my sugar constantly to see how foods affect it. Please don't think that I think there is anything wrong with meds and insulin because I don't. If I need them in the future, I won't hesitate to go back on them. So here I am trying to lose some weight and control my diabetes.
  • spunky_spit_fire
    spunky_spit_fire Posts: 103 Member
    Hi my name is Diane, I am 53 yrs old, Mother to 3 grown children, and 6 Beautiful Grandchildren,
    I am a newbie Type 2 Diabetic and my A1C is OUT of Control at 10.9. So I am hoping to learn hope to Eat Healthy and Lower my A1C. My Biggest Problem is Drinking Soda, I can not stand to drink Diet Soda so this is something I really have to work Hard At ! I am currently taking Metformin 1000mg 2x's per day and Glipazide XL 5 mg 2x's per day. and I am Determined to lose weight and get A1C within normal range.....
  • bdubya55
    Hi everyone. I am a 38 year old female with type 2 diabetes. I have had symptoms or at least precursors to diabetes my entire life. When I was a child I had reactive hypoglycemia, which is a precursor to diabetes. I was a very thin and active child. When I became a teenager I started getting skin tags. My menstrual cycles become irregular. My doctor said I was making too much insulin due to insulin resistance. I have a HUGE family history of diabetes. Both parents, all four grandparents, 14 aunts and uncles, and 2 siblings all have type 2 diabetes as well. One of my uncles was diagnosed with type 2 at 17. One of my uncles died at 32 from diabetic complications involving fatty liver disease. I have 2 uncles that have had amputations, one was on dialysis but sadly he passed away at age 53. My grandmother is blind from diabetes as well, so I have seen firsthand what can happen if you don't control it. I was officially labeled prediabetic in by early 20s at around 115 pounds. I slowly started gaining weight I believe mostly due to eating too many carbs and my insulin resistance. I was diagnosed several years ago with full blown type 2 diabetes. At first I was started on Metformin and then Lantus, and then Humalog with meals. The insulin caused major weight gain for me. So I went on a low carb high fat diet and my blood glucose improved drastically. Im proud to say I'm currently off all meds and insulin. I have gradually increased my carbs and now more on an Atkins way of eating and my blood glucose has never been better. My liver dumps have stopped too. My last hgba1c was 6.9 in December, but I'm scheduled for one at the end of this month. I believe it will be around 5.0 based on my meter readings. I checked my sugar constantly to see how foods affect it. Please don't think that I think there is anything wrong with meds and insulin because I don't. If I need them in the future, I won't hesitate to go back on them. So here I am trying to lose some weight and control my diabetes.

Hi 123_lac. Welcome!:drinker:

I'm glad to know you've found a plan that's helping you to manage and reach your diabetes self-care goals. Each of us is unique in our approach to managing this oftentimes very individualistic and frustrating condition.

The myfitnesspal program when applied honestly and correctly, is a powerful tool that helps to track the foods we eat.

This group is very friendly, knowledgeable and supportive by sharing our experiences with each other-on what works, and what hasn't worked for some of us in the past . Have a look around the various threads.

I welcome the opportunity to be of help whenever possible.

Best wishes for continued success and good health, as you journey towards your goals.
  • bdubya55
    Hi my name is Diane, I am 53 yrs old, Mother to 3 grown children, and 6 Beautiful Grandchildren,
    I am a newbie Type 2 Diabetic and my A1C is OUT of Control at 10.9. So I am hoping to learn hope to Eat Healthy and Lower my A1C. My Biggest Problem is Drinking Soda, I can not stand to drink Diet Soda so this is something I really have to work Hard At ! I am currently taking Metformin 1000mg 2x's per day and Glipazide XL 5 mg 2x's per day. and I am Determined to lose weight and get A1C within normal range.....

Hi Diane, Welcome-nice to meet you!:drinker:

Like you, my blood sugars were extremely high at the time I was diagnosed. Knowledge is one of the best tools in managing diabetes.

A good online site offered below will help you to gain a better understanding of a Type 2 diabetes condition.

www.bloodsugar101.com

If you haven't already, I encourage you to seek out a recommendation from your healthcare provider to a diabetes education course in your area, as many newly diagnosed diabetics find these classes very beneficial.

Have a look around the other topics posted and ask questions when you feel comfortable. This is a very supportive, encouraging and knowledgeable group, eager to offer help to each other whenever possible by sharing our experiences.

Best wishes for success and good health!
  • nk52001
    nk52001 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello all!

I'm not necessarily new to the group, but I have been away a long time. Too long! I am 35 yrs old and have been T2 diabetic for approximately 12 years. I'm awfully young (especially when I was diagnosed) to be T2, but it runs thick in both sides of my family. I've also had a lot of complications because of it being uncontrolled... from poor healing to heart trouble to even some eye pressure elevations. Time to get serious and stay serious!

I've always been good about taking my meds, but I have been terrible about testing my blood sugar -- especially if I'm "off the wagon" with my eating. So, here I am... back at it! I just started logging my food again today, and for the last week I have been logging my blood sugars on paper. I'm incorporating that into MFP food notes again as that seems to work best for me - and I like that I can PDF a report and send it to my doctor so she can see the big picture -- food, sugar, meds, etc.

I had a mild "tiny" heart attack a week and a half ago. They put one stent in and put me back on a blood thinner. I can't tolerate Plavix, so I'm on Effient. As far as the diabetes, I take 1000mg Metformin 2x a day. They took me off glipizide and I am now on Humalog for mealtime control as well as Lantus at bedtime. We're adjusting to get where I need to be - getting closer. I send my blood sugar readings in every 3 days.

My biggest struggle is eating. I know I have certain food triggers that I have to try to avoid. On top of those triggers, I also struggle with buying healthy foods that are quick and easy to prepare. I have a long commute to work, so when I get home at night I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I also struggle with being disciplined enough to take lunch and snacks for work so that I can avoid restaurants and vending machines!

I have my food diary set to public and would be happy to share with others who have similar struggles. I'm always looking for good, easy meal/snack ideas (especially those who are cooking for 1).

Wishing everyone the best in your goals - looking forward to meeting friends here for moral support!

Nikki