4 gains in a row! Please help..open diary!

I have woken up to a gain every day for the last 4 days. My friends suggested that I take measurements. I did that, and I am down 1 inch from my waist and 1 inch from my hips since I've started back on MFP, so I'm not saying that I haven't had any success in the past. I know I *shouldn't* weigh every day, but aside from that, can someone please help me understand why I am gaining weight now? I weigh around the same time every morning, in the buff, after I pee, no food or drink first. It's not time for my monthly cycle. I am not eating a single thing that I'm not logging. Not a single gummy bear..not a single french fry, not a single sprinkle of cinnamon that I don't log BEFORE I eat it. My goal is to lose 1 pound a week. MFP has me set at 1340 calories a day and I eat between 1200-1340 most days. I went over 200 calories one day this week and that's my first time to go over my calorie count. I was consistently eating less than 1200 and was informed I needed to eat more calories and get a food scale. So this week .. I bought a food scale and am using that to be more accurate. I've been eating my recommended calories now and all this appears to be a huge fail for me. I feel like I'm doing everything that I'm supposed to, and the harder I try to get everything just right, the more it falls to pieces. I get that weight fluctuations are normal and all, but this seems like a steady incline. My diary is open. I'm asking for advice, but please be sensitive, if at all possible. I'm having a really bad day. :(

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Two words: natural fluctuation.

That is, unless you are eating 3500 over your TDEE each day, which I suspect you are not.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267

That is, unless you are eating 3500 over your TDEE each day, which I suspect you are not.

I am definitely not doing that.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    you need to weigh your solids..ie cheese, bread, meat, veggies etc.

Chances are you are eating more than you think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Yep... If you're still gaining in 4 weeks then it might be an issue. 4 days is fluctuations.

Also, if you're using MFP numbers you should eat exercise cals back.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    High sodium days and you up'ed your physical activity (your muscles store water to help them repair)... water retention.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    you need to weigh your solids..ie cheese, bread, meat, veggies etc.

Chances are you are eating more than you think.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    This would be water weight or natural fluctuation because of the short time period. 3500 each day over your TDEE would be required to gain weight. Actual fat is not gained that fast unless you are severely overdoing it.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Agree with previous posters that this is likely just normal fluctuations. But (and I'm no expert) looking at your diary this week, you are often high on your sodium intake. So you may be retaining water due to that - and getting a high weight reading on that basis.
  • susie3g
    Thanks for the responses.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    If you re logging accurately, it's definitely normal fluctuations. Lose the scale for a few days, better yet, a week. Weighing every day is just asking to drive yourself crazy if you are in losing mode. I weigh every day, but only because I am attempting maintenance.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Just flipping through a few days it looks like your sodium intake is too high. Processed foods have a lot of sodium so I try to stay clear of anything processed. If you can eat a larger breakfast with a lot of protein that may help, though I know a lot of people don't like eating breakfast but it works for me. Exercise is a necessity, can be anything. Good Luck.
  • mholmquist
    mholmquist Posts: 22 Member
    I agree with imjolly. More protein in in your breakfasts and try to lower your intake of sodium. For your body is holding on to what little water that you are drinking. So I would also suggest trying to drink more water. I also have the same problem with weighing myself everyday but over time I have learned to either weigh myself on either Tuesday or Thursdays. Good luck!
  • From what I am seeing you are consuming a pretty good amount of sodium and carbohydrates which cause you to store water weight. Cut them down tomorrow and I'm sure your scale will show a difference :)
  • Mistyvs
    Mistyvs Posts: 56 Member
    Too much sodium, I'm thinking. Less sodium, more water. I weigh every day too and it's always different. But I only have Mondays that "count."
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    I would personally more for breakfast, exercise a wee bit more, less processed food as they have a lot of salt

I weight thru-out the week but log on Mondays

stay strong you are doing really well :smile:
  • susie3g
    Thanks for the feedback! This morning I'm back down almost to what I was last Monday. I'm really happy about that! Yesterday was a really bad day for me if we're looking at sodium, though. I kind of said screw it yesterday, I'm not going to worry about anything except staying under calorie goal because it was ruining my day thinking about it so much. When these things happen to other people, I can tell them to hang in there and brighter days are coming, but for some reason, it seems different when it's happening to me. :/ Sodium is not my friend. I've been struggling to keep my sodium under goal, but I'm still learning and have a long way to go. Believe it or not, when I first started, I didn't even log my water because most days I was lucky to get 1 or 2 cups a day. I can usually get in 5 or 6 a day now, at least. :) But I definitely should be drinking more water! Someone mentioned to me that since I had upped my exercise routine a little, my muscles could be retaining water, too. Would that happen with just an extra 20 minutes a day aerobics, though?
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    I go with losing the scales for at least a week - possibly more. They drive us crazy chasing each odd lb here or there. If you're eating at deficit and exercising sensibly you'll drop the weight. Reducing Sodium if you can is better for you regardless of weight loss.:smile:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    It's just normal fluctuations, don't sweat it at all.