Dinner idea that doesn't taste "healthy" or bland?

13»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Hello guys ,

i am on a 1200 calorie intake plan and i am trying to find a healthy dinner i can make to surprize my bf tomorrow , that is low on calories yet delicious to someone who prefers the bad stuff..

anyone have ideas?

i could eat plain chicken , veggies and call it a night but i know my boyfriend wants comfort food or something that is not so HEALTHY... help !! lol
    1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup white vinegar, 1.5 tablespoon minced garlic. Toss in a pot and add in about 6 pieces of chicken (with skin). Cook until chicken is done and serve over rice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

REALLY? Soy sauce and vinegar with no sweetener to offset? And a *whole cup* of vinegar??

I am sure this needs juice or honey or something.
  • sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Ellie Krieger Macaroni and Four Cheeses (Google it). Really yummy, secret helpings of veggies, hits the comfort food spot.
  • jwags19
    jwags19 Posts: 2 Member
    www.skinnytaste.com

All healthy, all yummy and husband approved. I have yet to try a recipe from here that my hubby doesn't like.

I second this.

3rd! Great website...
  • I found a really easy meal to make and substitute rice for cauliflower, note, i hate cauliflower.

Chicken and cauliflower rice.

bake as many boneless skinless chicken breast as you want and season to taste, I use garlic and lemon paper.

next take your cauliflower and put it into a food chopper to make it real fine like rice, also chop up some onions, bell peppers, broccoli or whatever veg you like. then sauté it in a skillet together in coconut oil until its browned.

then serve the chicken on top of the cauliflower rice. trust me its real good.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,185 Member
    Try Hairy Dieters books on Amazon. You can get them for Kindle. There are 2 books, I have the first. I love the Paella and the Spanish Chicken. There are great curries. I just give DH lots of extra carbs and butter on his potatoes. He is super skinny.:grumble: You could make a pasta dish and have shiritaki noodles yourself. That's what I sometimes do.
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    I don't eat any food that is bland. Just by adding garlic, or other seasonings (onions, basil, Italian seasoning, parsley, etc...) makes a world of difference in taste with no or little calories. There are a ton of healthy, tasty recipes on Pinterest.
  • tabahrak
    tabahrak Posts: 1 Member
    I can second this...skinnytaste has some amazing recipes.
  • Hobb3s
    Hobb3s Posts: 119 Member
    Nicely cooked Trout, grilled asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes (or another veg you prefer).
  • samacooper
    samacooper Posts: 28 Member
    www.skinnytaste.com

All healthy, all yummy and husband approved. I have yet to try a recipe from here that my hubby doesn't like.

I second this! Everything from this site is good--husband agrees! I recently made this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/11/loaded-philly-cheesesteak-baked-potato.html

it was sooo good. Just make sure you use the right size potato, I had to have a half of a potato instead of whole because mine were enormous.
  • I've just started cooking recipes from http://www.stirlist.com Great recipes with photos of healthy food by a girl who is an expert in nutrition.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    My Husband loves this one.http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/cheesy-jalapeno-popper-baked-stuffed.html He has requested it many times and it's not hot at all if you don't include the seeds.
  • marinate it! get some bbq sauce to marinate it in, and have some nice spicy kale chips or bacon sauteed greenbeans with it!

personally i marinate mine in olive garden's salad dressing and have it over a salad with the same dressing, maybe throw in some whole grain pasta.

get chicken legs if you want, and bread them lightly in a low carb or gluten free thing? such as like whole grain or chips? even crushed nuts would be nice. like peanuts crusted or something...

rotisseree chicken...

you can have a steak, a lean one is lowcal and delish! try making different rubs, like a coffee rub recipe you can find online <3 omnom

i hope i gave you some ideas!!!

oh almost forgot, indian food. extremely flavorful, and relatively healthy since there are lots of veggies and protein. i love palak paneer! its basically spinach and cheese. or any type of vindaloo, like with chicken to add protein.
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    I've never had a recipe from Cooking Light magazine that I didn't enjoy, even when I ate really unhealthily. I particularly love their seared pork tortas (Spanish sandwiches)--441 calories per serving and they taste AMAZING, especially if you sprinkle them with chipotle pepper to add a smoky, spicy kick. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/seared-pork-tortas-10000002001870/
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    check out Skinnytaste.com There are some fabulous recipes on there.

There are these easy garlic cheddar biscuits....yum

And a lot of the recipes are already in the food database on MPF!

This is a direct link to the beef recipes http://www.skinnytaste.com/search/label/Beef Recipes

Mmmmmm, I am definitely going to have to try out the garlic cheddar biscuits along with many other recipes in this post! :) Thanks for all the great ideas!!
  • Bump for recipes