I ran/jogged outside (kinda) for the 1st time in 30 years!

NewLIFEstyle4ME
NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
Well...I'm as pleased as punch...know why?!?

I ran/jogged OUTSIDE for the 1st time in over 30 years!!!! :drinker: :love: :drinker:

I started a Mfp 8 week challenge group called 8 Wk FitnessBlender+c25k+ healthy meal challenge"" that officially started yesterday (even though I've been doing this challenge or rather TRYING to do it now for almost a week now) Doing (or TRYING) to do the c25k was nearly impossible for me--after 30 seconds of running in the house/running in place, my heart, lungs and stamina felt like they would explode...I just couldn't do it--I couldn't! :cry:

I always say, I just can't run, because I'm too old and outta shape. Well, today I even though I didn't schedule myself to do the c25k exercise (I scheduled myself to do the hip hop abs--which is hard for me too, but not as hard as the c25k). I decided to throw down the gauntlet with myself because I've been meditating all day about "pushing myself thru the fear and dread and woe" of exercising, where I get tired easily or it hurts--for me, that's as soon as I begin exercising:ohwell: . So...I walked briskly for 1 hour and 22 minutes outside and did a "modified" version of c25k and I ran 30 seconds 10 times during my walk!! This is a huge miracle for me, because not only did I do it, but it felt GREAT running too, just great...nowhere near as impossible as doing it in the house/running in place for 30 seconds at a time.

Now that may sound like peanuts/woop-de-doo or no big deal (or that's NOT running--which is why I say "kinda running")--but this is HUGE to me. I not only ran for 30 seconds 10 times today--but I ran it outside too--I'm sure I looked weird, but I didn't care. I feel GREAT too. I haven't run outside in 30 years--I'm thrilled and will continue to push myself until I can get to 90 seconds and more--WOOT!

Replies

• Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Congrats!!
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 917 Member
    I think you are awesome! Way to go!
  • mizpoke
    mizpoke Posts: 171 Member
    Fabulous! :drinker: Well-done you!
  • drmcglone
    drmcglone Posts: 80 Member
    Its only gonna get better....Well done! :drinker:
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
    Don't diminish your accomplishment with these kinds of thoughts : "Now that may sound like peanuts/woop-de-doo or no big deal (or that's NOT running--which is why I say "kinda running")". It's going to get exponentially easier if you stick with it (which I know you will! ) :drinker:
  • jan112
    jan112 Posts: 198 Member
    Way to go!!!!!!! You rock!!!!! I so want to run outside but just find it daunting. You inspire me!
  • ambarr82
    ambarr82 Posts: 27 Member
    That's great!! :flowerforyou:
  • daizee97
    daizee97 Posts: 3 Member
    I am sooooo proud of you :drinker: !! You jogged a total of 5 minutes! That my friend is accomplishment! Keep going forward, making small life-improving steps! In no time (well, maybe some time), you will be jogging the whole time with ease. When you see you can succeed in this area, then you will be able to tackle other difficult areas in your life! You are doing such a great job! :flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I think you are awesome! Way to go!

:flowerforyou: That's mighty kind of you to say...thanks so much for your reply!
  • That is awesome! Running outside is tough work!
  • texasfarmer
    texasfarmer Posts: 483 Member
    I concur with your comments. I was just thinking the same things not long ago and it had been 25 years for me. You will get better and be able to run faster and longer. It is an amazing feeling isn't it?

Keep it up!
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,404 Member
    This is the best thing I've read today :-)
  • M22KY
    M22KY Posts: 60 Member
    CONGRATULATIONS!! Keep going!

I also couldn't jog for more than 30 seconds when I started. I d@mn near cried on the day I was able to jog nonstop for 3 miles. It is such a great feeling!

:flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

This is for ALL of you fabulous, encouraging nice people who posted here--you guys are tremendous, period.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    So, tell me (if you don't mind) how old are you? The reason I ask is that I feel I am too old (59) to run although I really want to try - just have this fear that I'm going to blow out a knee or hip or something! I keep saying to myself - "maybe it will be safer when you lose a little more weight?"
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    So, tell me (if you don't mind) how old are you? The reason I ask is that I feel I am too old (59) to run although I really want to try - just have this fear that I'm going to blow out a knee or hip or something! I keep saying to myself - "maybe it will be safer when you lose a little more weight?"

Start slow, you can run.

There is no such thing as too old to run.

I also ran a 10k at 350lbs...

Start now, but start slow
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

I'm 52 and totally outta shape, about 50lbs...okay 60lbs, well....70's pounds overweight. If I lost 70 pounds, I'd be about 135 pounds and I'm 5"6. I'm shooting for 50 or so pounds of excess flab and fat to permanently release off of this body of mine for now , and we'll see from there.

I can TOTALLY relate to your fear of hurting yourself as your reasons (or these "WERE" my reason) to ALWAYS say "I can't run and don't even think about asking me to try". What inspired me to start this c25k and begin to "try" to incorporate running/jogging into the mix is I've grown weary of being inactive and sedentary and doing "safe and easy" exercising that's not really pushing me and not being effective in dropping weight consistently. Also I'm adding running into the mix more importantly because I'm fed-up with of being FAT and looking and feeling all bloaty and flabby and feeling UGH about the way I look and feel. I'm starting off slowly so as to not hurt myself. Plus, when I was younger I LOVED running so much--it was kinda like swimming or flying on the ground to me and I want to experience that once more. I also believe that running will not only help me mentally (because I felt like a 1st class winner after "kinda" running today--but also I believe running/jogging will help to take off some of these unwanted, unneeded, unattractive, unhealthy pounds and ounces. I'm NOT going to become maniacal about adding running into my IMB (I mean business) weight-loss routine...but I'm no longer going to allow fear and dread to stop me anymore either. If I can do it--anyone can! Slow and steady wins the race!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME

Start slow, you can run.

There is no such thing as too old to run.

I also ran a 10k at 350lbs...

Start now, but start slow

YES, YES, and YES! running a 10k at 350lbs...SEE, this is another reason I've started...I've grown weary of believing that I can't do it--when so many others are! You rock!
  • That's awesome! You SHOULD feel proud of yourself! Remember that a lot of those people you see effortlessly running 5-10 miles? They all had to start somewhere too.

And for the record, we all look like crap when running :laugh:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    That's awesome! You SHOULD feel proud of yourself! Remember that a lot of those people you see effortlessly running 5-10 miles? They all had to start somewhere too.

And for the record, we all look like crap when running :laugh:

Thank you and you don't know how ENCOURAGING that is to me when you said "And for the record, we all look like crap when running :laugh:

I love that:drinker: :smooched: :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!