Can't Stop Exercising

I haven't been on MFP in several months. I'm not sure if anyone will read this but I just have to tell someone and I don't really have anyone else to tell so I'm just posting it to get it out.

In the past yr and 9mths I've only taken 2 complete rest days(drs orders after injections). I have some torn tendons by my right hip(can't wear jeans or any tight pants w/o being in pain, and sitting too much causes pain), strained left hamstring, plantar fasciitis... Heard a pop while exercising the other wk and since then I have some pain in my other hamstring and right calf. Couple mths ago my shoulder started hurting occasionally while exercising but now it hurts every time. In the past month my left hip has started to hurt, and it's slowly getting worse.

Despite all the injuries, I still exercise every.single.day. I have a 10K I'm suppose to run this Sun and a 1/2 marathon I registered for beginning of April, and a Duathlon in May. I also am aiming to do a Tri in June. I know my body needs a break, I know I shouldn't keep pushing, I know I risk further injury.. Possible permenant injury... But I can't stop. I don't know how to stop. If friends wanna hang out, most of the time I come up w/ excuses because I worry it'll interfere w/ my exercise. I even started having nightmares about exercise. Nobody really knows all this, I just had to get it out.

Replies

• Sounds to me like you might need to seek some help. If your working through a true injury and know that you are risking permanent injury then this goes further than just feeling a need to exercise or wanting to. It has become an obsession obviously. Please, seek some help and guidance before you really hurt yourself
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Stop. Talk to a doctor. There must be some sort of underlying problem going on here.
  • gmove
    gmove Posts: 81 Member
    Please ask yourself, 'what will happen if i don't exercise today?'

Contemplate your answers...will they cause the end of the world?

Breathe. You'll be okay.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Seek help.
    Doing exercise to this sort of point is another form of eating disorder, and it is not healthy.
    Only you can resolve this. I mean, exercise is meant to be for health and fitness, but you have gone beyond that and are actually damaging your health, as you know.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    http://www.brainphysics.com/exercise-addiction.php

It sounds like you need to maybe seek some professional help with this OP.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    You are suffering from a compulsive disorder, and you need to get some help ASAP. The last thing you want is to permanently cripple your body and end up not being able to move at all.

:heart:
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    You've lost 155 pounds maybe you are scared if you take a break you won't get started again and then gain all that weight back?
  • Thanks for the supportive replies everyone.

I know it's a problem but anytime I try to stop I convince myself I don't have a problem and force myself to exercise. Everything always says push harder, go longer, don't quit... It's on tv, in magazines, quotes, it's everywhere. I can't stop telling myself that when I try to rest
  • 281Danielle
    281Danielle Posts: 113
    If you feel the need to exercise every single day maybe have just a stretch day once or twice a week. I know it's not a really hard workout and you probably won't even break a sweat but it is still exercise and good for your over all being.
  • If you feel the need to exercise every single day maybe have just a stretch day once or twice a week. I know it's not a really hard workout and you probably won't even break a sweat but it is still exercise and good for your over all being.

I've tried taking easy days but I just can't let myself. I exercise for hrs and I always have to keep my heart rate in its target zone
    You are suffering from a compulsive disorder, and you need to get some help ASAP. The last thing you want is to permanently cripple your body and end up not being able to move at all.

:heart:

That's my biggest worry lately and what my nightmares are about. I'm scared I'll permenantly do something.
    http://www.brainphysics.com/exercise-addiction.php

It sounds like you need to maybe seek some professional help with this OP.

All 7 of those symptoms describe me
  • My primary care dr(who doesn't even know about some of my injuries) said at 29 I'm too young to have so many overuse injuries. My dr said I have arthritis now because of all my exercise
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Would you rather take action now and get this under control, instead of allowing it to control you, or would you rather end up in a position where you literally cannot exercise at all ? Only you can take the steps. You need to tap into the same willpower you used to lose all that weight, in order to stop your exercise addiction. Those adverts are designed that way, I mean, the media likes to control people and it sounds as if it has you firmly in it's grip. You are just going to have to literally make yourself take a less strenuous day each week. Nothing awful will happen. You won't suddenly lose control of your life, or be any less of a person for it. Find a different pastime to fill one of those exercise days. There is nothing anyone here can do, beyond telling you to either get a grip on this yourself, and use that amazing strength of mind you used to lose that weight for this, or to seek the help of a professional.
  • Would you rather take action now and get this under control, instead of allowing it to control you, or would you rather end up in a position where you literally cannot exercise at all ? Only you can take the steps. You need to tap into the same willpower you used to lose all that weight, in order to stop your exercise addiction. Those adverts are designed that way, I mean, the media likes to control people and it sounds as if it has you firmly in it's grip. You are just going to have to literally make yourself take a less strenuous day each week. Nothing awful will happen. You won't suddenly lose control of your life, or be any less of a person for it. Find a different pastime to fill one of those exercise days. There is nothing anyone here can do, beyond telling you to either get a grip on this yourself, and use that amazing strength of mind you used to lose that weight for this, or to seek the help of a professional.

I know I'm the only one who can help myself... It just seems impossible. I just had to vent to get it all out because it just seems so larger than life. I thought getting it all out would help. Thanks for the confidence :)
  • bubbles1212
    bubbles1212 Posts: 206 Member
    Hey girlie!!! Knowing your active history, I do feel you need to see someone. Maybe just go talk to a professional. I know sometimes it feels like just getting it out will help, but you really should talk to someone trained to help. I just care about you and want what's best! I am always here to talk if you need me!!! Please take care of yourself!!!! Like you said, your puppy deserves an active owner, and at this rate, you will injure yourself more and not be active in the long run.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    agree with what everyone else is posting....get help..

if you dont, guess what..you will STOP...because your body is going to stop you..and from what your saying, its already on its way to doing that.