When did you feel 'slim' enough for gym?

I know a lot of people on here say that you should join a gym no matter what your size is if thats what you want to do. I cant seem to build up the confidence to take the leap and join. Every time I enter the building its full of fit healthy people and I dont feel like I fit in there quite yet. I keep hoping that once I lose X amount of weight I will look the part as it were and not stick out like a sore thumb.

I think my reluctance stems from school gym class where I was picked on for not being able to do the exercises as well as the slimmer kids. They made every P.E lesson a misery. I know I am not at school any more (thank god) but cant shake the feeling that Im going to get jeered at for being more jiggly than lean.

Anyone else felt they had to lose weight before joining the gym?

Replies

• keithemp
    keithemp Posts: 71
    It's not full of healthy and fit people, it's mostly full of people who want to get healthy and fit and are at different stages of their own journey.

Just join and get out there! Seriously, no one will judge you, and those that do aren't worth your time.
  • annie61702
    annie61702 Posts: 120 Member
    I just jumped in from day one. No one will jeer at you. Most likely they won't pay any attention to you. They will be busy with their own workout. I didn't like seeing myself in all the mirrors at first, but now I love what I see. Just do it! You will be glad you did. :-)
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    I have a lot more respect for not so in shape people at the gym than for fit looking people! It means they are taking control of their life/health and actually doing something about it.

I know it's not easy, but go for it! It will be easier after a couple time you go and you start seeing familiar faces :)
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    I was an athlete in high school and I was fat, and I still worked out, so I can't say that I've felt how you felt. (Except maybe when I started lifting.)

You have to do this for you. Are there going to be judgmental a-holes? Yes. But honestly, most people will respect you and cheer you on, especially the people here.

You are only hurting yourself by not doing the things you want to do, because of what other people think.

Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I've never felt that way- but I've never been really outside of one weight range - but I can tell you if you pay to be there- you belong there.

I can also tell you- I have read a lot of threads of people who have hit their goal weight and still felt uncomfortable. it's not a magic fix to change what's going on inside your brain (not a dig - just observations) You will need to work on that as your body changes- so I would suggest starting to get out there and do something that makes you feel a little uncomfortable- go in on a Friday when it's quiet- and commit to doing the treadmill for 10 minutes- just do something that starts to gets you over that mental hurdle.

You can do it!!! Not everyone in there is fit and fabulous- and to be honest a lot of those people were once not fit and fabulous- they started to make a change- they are just on a different point of the path than you. :)
  • cccmmj12
    cccmmj12 Posts: 13 Member
    I understand where you are coming from and I felt the same way, but at the end of the day, you are there for you and nobody else. Plus once you get into your workout, everybody else eventually fades into the background. :smile:
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    I joined a gym first than realized I wasn't eating healthy or with portion control. I could barely walk let alone workout. I've lost 56 pounds and still on my journey. Every week I am stronger and can do something I didn't do the week before. If you don't start you won't win your race.

I am fortunate that I found a small privately owned gym and am able to workout in a small group setting with a personal trainer without the huge fee. Don't know where you live but Google your area to see if there are any gyms like that in your area. Also a lot of physical therapy facilities do have gyms that you can get a monthly membership to. Less intimidating than the huge gyms.

Just do it and you will be so very happy you did!!!

PS: I just saw your weight loss you are 1/2 way to your goal...don't let your negative self taught get in the way of accomplishing what you set out to do. If you can lose 70+ pounds you can face the gym...just be bold, be brave, and be confident.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    I understand how you feel! But honestly, the only way to overcome that anxiety is to just do it. I agree with JoRocka, it's more in your head. I too felt anxiety to go the first time as well, but I just went for it. Maybe go very early so it's not so crowded. I also started going to zumba classes. At first I felt uncoordinated and out of place, but I talked to the instuctor and she helped so much. She herself had lost 100 lbs so she understood exactly how I felt. Also, for most classes, they say do what's comfortable, even if you can't do all the moves. I believe you can do it!
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    I'd suggest touring a couple gyms in your area and seeing if any of them feel more comfortable to you. I started my weight loss journey at the YMCA and never once felt like anyone was watching me or judging me. I later joined a small, privately owned studio and liked that even better because there were usually only one or two of us in the gym at a time.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Yeah I know how you feel. I say to myself okay when I'm at 160 I'll join the gym because by then I'll be 20 pounds away from my goal and probably be pretty confident with my body. But yeah how do I know that lol?
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Thanks everyone. I do realise a lot of it is in my head. I know most people there will just be getting on with there own thing but my confidence is so low all it would take would be a comment from one idiot and id leave and probably not come back. I need to work on not caring so much what others think of me I guess. I was told for so long that I was too fat to exercise I cant get myself to stop believing it now.
  • keithemp
    keithemp Posts: 71
    Thanks everyone. I do realise a lot of it is in my head. I know most people there will just be getting on with there own thing but my confidence is so low all it would take would be a comment from one idiot and id leave and probably not come back. I need to work on not caring so much what others think of me I guess. I was told for so long that I was too fat to exercise I cant get myself to stop believing it now.

Be strong. I know you can do it. Like I said before, if anyone is judging you, they're terrible people.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    So presumably you would never walk outside in fear of being around 'healthy people'?

Why do you care what other people think?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

put your head phones in- and just literally ignore everyone else. you don't have to talk to people if you don't want to.
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Just do it. No one is looking at you - they have their own workouts to pay attention to.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Indeed, nobody really cares about other than themselves/their workout partners in the gym.

And now that i'm in somewhat decent shape, and notice an obese person in the gym i just think to myself "they're trying to do something about their weight, good for them" i'm sure i'm not the only one.
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Totally understand where this question comes from. Got a bike and did my cardio at home for a month. I lost 5kg and felt ready to start my workouts at the gym. But people are right, it does not really matter, you just have to start.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

yep, you need to work on your self confidence regardless of your weight, or you will lose 20lb (or however much you need to lose) and still not feel good enough...
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Join a gym now! It might feel uncomfortable at first, but trust me you will be so happy you did once you start seeing results. I've been going regularly for over a year now and some of the more fit people that I see there are starting to come up to me and congratulate and comment on my progress. Just do it!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I weighed over 300 pounds when I joined the gym. Luckily I found a gym that I like. 4.5 years later I am still going and I weigh 120 pounds less. It was a little awkward for me at first, but that was because of me, not because of anyone in the gym. No one in the gym cared what I was doing.