Vegan?

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,810 Member
    You will be surprised how many products needlessly include dairy in them. Most of these products aren't very healthy anyways so its a great junk food deterrence.
    It's not "needlessly", they know that dairy is addictive and they stuff it into everything they can. This is kind of like when the tobacco industry added extra nicotine to their product. Gotta keep ya coming back.

That, and they don't like to throw away waste products from their processing, they like to re-use them. For example, the fat that gets removed from milk to make skim, is then used in other products.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaw-0OUAjHE2W9_jXBRxVWV9pXAoFf_aqxZI6t7tSMM50OsRvMgA
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    You will be surprised how many products needlessly include dairy in them. Most of these products aren't very healthy anyways so its a great junk food deterrence.
    It's not "needlessly", they know that dairy is addictive and they stuff it into everything they can. This is kind of like when the tobacco industry added extra nicotine to their product. Gotta keep ya coming back.

That, and they don't like to throw away waste products from their processing, they like to re-use them. For example, the fat that gets removed from milk to make skim, is then used in other products.

0YgMZl0.gif
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Long random post so I apologize in advance.

I tried the vegan route for a year and felt like crap. I was so so tired all the time. I was so worn down and crabby. I couldn't think straight and I had a lot of digestive issues. I did NOT eat the frankensoy stuff either. Whole foods. After about a year I got my vitamin levels checked and my D was next to nothing despite diet and vitamins. My doctor suggested working some animals products back into my diet and so I decided to go vegetarian. Within a few weeks my body was singing. The mental haze was gone. My stomach issues leveled out and I felt like I had more energy that I had for a long long time. I also had my vitamin levels checked about six months after going vegetarian and my D almost double with the introduction of animals products. With small amounts of animal products I have been getting back to normal and I feel really great.

As another poster mentioned, why don't you try plant based? Make fruits, veggies, beans, grains... your base and incorporate eggs, milk, cheeses... here and there.

I am not bashing the vegan diet BUT I am saying that as with many things in life it is not a one size fits all. Some people find it makes them feel better, I was not one of them.

The original reason that I went vegan was for animal welfare and I do strongly believe in that. It is true that the treatment of factory animals is really horrible and so that is where the change needs to start. Petitioning for animals rights and changing the law is where the fight needs to be not starting fights on MFP or spreading the most graphic cruelty images that you can find on the internet. There are many farmers who do truly take care of their animals. I know many farmers who are not factory that pine over their animals. I understand that a big brown-eyed cow dying is not the image that people want in their minds BUT death is as much a part of life as living. This is fact. We need to be smart about our food. We need to support our local growers and farmers and know where our food is coming from. Be more food wise rather than totally eliminating one food group. We should also respect and take care of the animals that are giving their lives to sustain ours.

One last thing I'll say is that I read a really struck a chord in me. I felt so so guilty about not being vegan anymore and then I watched a video online from an animal sanctuary that rescues factory animals and it got me thinking. They have chickens around this farm and the chickens would lay eggs daily. The man recording this video asked the person at the sanctuary where they take all these random eggs that are laid daily and the worker replied, "we give them to the other animals on the farm because they need the protein." So let me get this straight, a dog or a pig or a cat should eat this chicken egg because the protein is important BUT humans should not? So it's acceptable for other animals to eat other animals but we has humans are not allowed? How is that?

All the best to you in this!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

The problem is...the food you are recommending in absolutely no way provides a complete diet other than just pure macronutrients.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    cant believe the amount of unhelpful advise about being vegan in this thread, offered by people who are not vegan.

There are 3 main things about being vegan
    1) you really do need to make sure your diet is healthy and full of high quality fruits/vegetable/legumes/rice etc. Try looking into mediterranean cooking, its full of amazing tasty recipes.
    2) if you do number 1, then be prepared for your health to improve dramatically, this type of diet is proven to cure a load of diseases associated with eating crap (heart disease, cancer, diabetes etc etc, the list is endless)
    3) be prepared for the people who continue to eat corpse, as they will try and convince you that you will die without eating corpse. Try reading the 'China Study' for even more reason to be happy about changing your diet.

Good luck, please 'friend' me if you want a vegan buddy
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    It's not immoral to be a vegan, obviously. It's also not immoral to eat a diet your species evolved to eat so what makes one way of eating more ethical and moral than another? (Unless you're eating human orphans I guess)

Well, todays omnivore diet is definitely not what humans evolved to eat, so I don't see your point.

Define "today's omnivorous diet". I eat eggs from chickens and ducks I know are loved and cared for. I eat meat from animals I've met and know are well cared for beforehand. I actually drive many miles out of my way to obtain these things. Most people don't do that today, if that's what you mean. Obviously we didn't evolve eating McDonalds burgers and mechanically processed chicken, but we also didn't evolve eating Oreos or tofu.

Crappy omnivorous options still doesn't make us not omnivorous. Same with crappy vegan options.

(Yeah I know double negative)
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    "eating corpse" hahahahaha

Eta: I don't know why that amused me so immensely. Possibly because the poster was complaining about being attacked for being vegan while trying to make an inflammatory statement towards non vegans.

• Yes, I was making that point. Humans are animals. Human byproducts are animal byproducts so by definition a baby that is breastfeeding is not vegan. This refers back to my point that animal based proteins have a better amino acid profile for muscle synthesis and contain more of the essential amino acids that a growing baby needs. Human breast milk falls into this category.

Actually, having a diet with a variety of grains, legumes, and vegetables can provide all of the essential amino acids our bodies require.

Complimentary proteins! Yay! Thank you for adding that :)
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Nutrition is usually based on science, not belief. Omnivory is the natural state of human beings. People can and do chose not to live like that and that's fine. Religion doesn't try to be rational in it's practices.

Well if it's science you want. There are many studies that show vegetarians and vegans have longer lives and suffer from less cancer and cardiovascular disease.

Bloom, I'd appreciate any links to the types of studies you mentioned.

I read The China Study. It pretty much convinced me to give veganism a try. I then found a lot of criticism of the book on the internet and wasn't sure what to make of it. Not being a scientist or a nutritionist, it's a little tricky trying to sift through some of the BS that people believe and promote, not to mention the intentional BS promoted by monied interests.

Next I read Whole, also by T. Colin Campbell where he addresses some of the criticisms. That sold me. I became vegan. And I learned that you have to be ready for any and everybody giving you a hard time over your food choices. After I finished the book I realized that it was missing (or maybe it was there and I missed it) studies on vegans' health. I mean, we don't have to look at people in China. We have millions of vegans right here. I've been meaning to look into it further to see how the health of vegans compares to the health of meat eaters.

I didn't want to stop there, so I followed up with other books in an effort to get the whole picture. I read another half dozen or so books with different theories that demonized sugar, wheat, and carbs in general, plus one promoting more meat because cholesterol is good for you.

Out of the bunch, I think The China Study was by far the best book, but I don't know if I buy into it completely. There should be some pretty good evidence that veganism is a healthier choice, with lower cancer, heart disease, obesity, diabetes, dementia, etc., rates.

Anyway, I just started reading The China Study for the second time. If you could link me to some good evidence supporting Campbell's claims I'd appreciate it.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    2439030-0063075699-tumbl.gif

Please forward all milk and meat products to me. I will eat them all.
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member
    Look up "recovering vegan." That's my best tip for you. :flowerforyou:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    "eating corpse" hahahahaha

Eta: I don't know why that amused me so immensely. Possibly because the poster was complaining about being attacked for being vegan while trying to make an inflammatory statement towards non vegans.

Agreed.
    Dumb is dumb.
  • juliafromrf
    juliafromrf Posts: 106 Member

I'm not trying to be rude, but this book is in no way a proper source of information and should therefore not be recommended to anybody unless they look for an opinion rather than information.
    The story of one (dubious) person is not representative.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member

I'm not trying to be rude, but this book is in no way a proper source of information and should therefore not be recommended to anybody unless they look for an opinion rather than information.

No piece of information is impartial, whether it's a scientific journal or personal account...Heck, I don't like it, but I could blow holes in my own research that got published in high impact journals...
  • happysummerrunner
    happysummerrunner Posts: 66 Member

I should explain- I wasn't referring to any book.

I guess what I'm trying to say is my best tip to someone starting a vegan diet is to know that it's OK to quit if it doesn't work out for them. It can be really challenging for some vegans to give up veganism even if it is harming them.

I meant to look up "recovering vegan" because it will turn up several posts, blogs, etc. from people who stopped being vegans and why.

Veganism harmed me emotionally and physically and it was still hard to change. When I searched recovering vegans and saw so many people with similar problems that's what gave the strength to change.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    In to hear more self righteous blathering. Is there a least an open bar or do really have to listen to this sober?
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member

And you'll look like ^^^^
  • PRMinx

<---- Drinks milk and eats meat. Try again.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member

Right, i forgot, Honey Boo Boo is a vegan.
  • PRMinx
    Um. Ok?

:indifferent:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member

Right, i forgot, Honey Boo Boo is a vegan.

constantly confuses the SAD with eating meat . . .

Interesting. I'd call troll, but I'm thinking true believer.