What is your take on peanut butter?

I have been having a craving for peanut butter and cringe at the caloric number. I have been eating it though with a banana or an apple taking really good care at the amount. I prefer natural, but I am still a fan of Skippy, but at 190 calories for 2 tbls, I don't know. I hear good things and bad things about PB and am afraid to waste so many calories when I can have a good piece of steak or chicken.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    its yummy - I don't eat a whole lot because of the high calorie content, I have trouble sticking to my calorie goal and do not need an extra boost. If you can fit it in and want some there is no reason not to eat it. I find its a really great way to get in some extra fats if my macros are unbalanced there.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    I live peanut butter. I eat it with a spoon all the time, last night included. I find it a great way to get some calories after a workout when it's late at night and I'm not hungry.

Rigger
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    *Natural* peanut butter (ingredients: peanuts and salt) is good for you but calorie dense, so just work it into your daily goals if you want to have some. I love banana with PB! . Skippy (original) is full of hydrogenated oil and sugar, so use sparingly.
  • Caitychuu
    Caitychuu Posts: 33 Member
    Peanut butter is a good fat/protein to add to your diet. Calories aren't always everything! As long as you stick with the natural peanut butter (I know Kraft and skippy are hard to resist), peanut butter is great for you!
  • IAMTODAY
    IAMTODAY Posts: 7
    I feel PB and almond butter, ect are great. Yes chicken is probably better but sometimes time is a factor and butters are better than eating something processed. Plus as you probably know if we don't eat what were craving and work it into our calorie budget we may overindulge on something else just to finally scratch that itch. :)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    I like it on my dark chocolate personally...
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    I love peanut butter, but I have slowly moved from Jiff to an organic, all natural peanut butter (just peanuts with a hint of sea salt). I just work into my daily calories so I have can a piece of peanut butter toast as one of my night time snacks.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    PB2!!

if you're not eating peanut butter for the nutrients (protein and whatnot) then its a good substitute with a lot less fat and cals.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Peanut butter is delicious nectar of the gods
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member

Seconded.
  • bassclef19
    bassclef19 Posts: 53 Member
    peanut butter is god's gift to us humans.

I love it by the spoonful and sometimes my love for it gets out of hand. I had to ban myself from it for a couple months.. then somehow it found its way back into my pantry.
    I try my hardest to stay away from it.. but now i've found almond butter.. which is even better.

*drools*... everything in moderation!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Peanut butter goes great with anything chocolate. It also makes an amazing cookie. It's also fantastic when you melt it and pour it on things, like bread/toast, waffles, etc. Inject it into some cupcakes. Make a buttercream frosting with it.

What could possibly go wrong?That's my take on peanut butter.
  • Peanut butter is delicious nectar of the gods

Seconded.

Third-ed.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    I live peanut butter. I eat it with a spoon all the time, last night included. I find it a great way to get some calories after a workout when it's late at night and I'm not hungry.

Rigger

I agree with this :smile: I used to care about the calorie content, but I don't really care anymore :smile:
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    I eat it and have no intention of stopping.
  • ilmb87
    ilmb87 Posts: 216 Member
    I usually eat anywhere between 5-6 tablespoons of the stuff a day (Kirkland natural). So...yeah, if you can make it fit into your calorie goals, it's definitely worth it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    I have a spoonful of peanut in my mouth right now.

:drinker:
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member

Seconded.

Third-ed.

Fourthed.

OP, if you enjoy PB, make it fit in your day. Nothing wrong with PB, nothing at all.