In need of support: binge eating & homesickness

Hi,

My name is Carla, and I have struggled with emotional eating since childhood. While I have become much more self aware about my emotional eating in recent years, I still struggle with binge eating. In the past year I have been through a major break up, I've had several loved ones pass away, I currently have a great-uncle (more like my only grandfather figure) on his death bed, and to top it off I left Canada immediately after my break up to live and work in China.
I have been in China since September 2013, and I fell like I have gone through a lot of the major culture shock stuff already. I don't know what's going on, I just feel "homesick" right now. I don't have a problem with China or it's culture, I just have a longing to be back in Canada with my friends and family at the moment.
I'm kind of in this weekday routine at the moment where I go to work, and at the end of the day when I come home from work I binge eat, as soon as I get in the door I start eating. I don't know how I can still feel mindless about it, when if I know I don't have the food at home to binge I stop at the grocery store first to buy more food.
I need to work on my coping strategies. I have friends in China, but no one that I feel comfortable discussing my food issues with. Unfortunately, because of the time difference between Canada and China, I can't call or skype my close friends back home when I feel the urge to binge.

Replies

• brujahqueen
    brujahqueen Posts: 29 Member
    Hi Carla

My name is Misty and I also deal with emotional/Binge eating. I know how hard it is when your dealing with stress and the only thing that takes the edge off is stuffing yourself. If you want to talk, or if your looking for a new friend I'm free and open . My email is brujahqueen@gmail.com. I usually keep my phone near me so I'm good with returning messages. One of the things that helped me was talking with a counselor that specialized in eating disorders. I'm not sure how feasible that is where you are but it's worth a try.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Sorry to hear that you are going through all of this.

I agree with the prior comment about counseling if that seems feasible.

If not, I did a program on-line called: http://aweighout.com/ and I found it very helpful. I also did some good reading with: "When Food is Love" and a Doreen Virtue book called "Facing the Fire."

It really sounds like the core of your binge eating is a desire to be closer to friends and family and mourning grieving a relationship and for family. Can you focus on getting in touch with friends and family more often? -- Skyping or if you have a smart phone getting Whatsapp for texting. Perhaps you can get in touch with friends and family at times when you'd otherwise be binging.
  • laydeneko
    laydeneko Posts: 54 Member
    Do you have a down day where it doesn't matter if your hanging around home at a certain time so you can call/skype? Or maybe one day you stay up late/get up early & your friend/family does it the next? I have had binging issues ever since my sister was stationed in another state (I know, not quite the same.) And I've found that even though it wasn't the times I felt like binging, just talking/Face Timing to her for 1/2hr or longer has reduced the amount of times I binge and how long they seem to last. It's not everyday, but couple times a week. Hope this helps?

I haven't done counseling, but it won't hurt to try. Another idea might be switch up your schedule so you aren't home or around food right after work? Change your route home, find a class, or people watch. Just something to help you get out of your rut.
  • timetravelforfitness
    timetravelforfitness Posts: 242 Member
    I don't know how much it will help you, but reading a favorite book that I read many times as a young adult really took me out of my homesickness when I moved across the country. There's something about reading that can force you to look at things differently. And reading something I had read and reread dozens of times brought back things that were happening at other times I'd read it.

Another thing that might help is meditation. I've been using this little app called Buddhify to help me deal with the anger I get over preschoolers not listening. It's only a few minutes each day. Maybe it would help you?

And while you can't call or skype your friends, could you write them? You wouldn't need to send it, but putting pen to paper can make you evaluate your feelings in a different way, especially if you pretend to be writing to someone you know very well. Or you could write to your friend list here. I've been finding my "friends" to be amazing support.
  • Thanks for the suggestions. I really do need to start skyping more often, including early morning wake up calls. Unfortunately I don't have access to counselling here. I looked into remote counselling, but it's over $100 an hour for phone or skype sessions, which I just can't afford. I already do a bit of meditation, and I practice yoga regularly.