I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Replies

• Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    I'm really thankful this thread exists! I ambled over to this forum with the very question of feeling completely terrified and uncomfortable in the weights section. I'm following a training plan to complete a triathlon and yesterday required I use some weights and resistance equipment. I walked through all the weights and machines, watched all the really muscular, intense-looking guys who looked like they knew exactly what they were doing, and I retreated back to the treadmill in fear.

I need to get over this fear!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Bumping because this post is awesome.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    My husband got me started. I've been doing this for a year- it's the most compact complete workout time-wise you will ever do. Cardio after? Nah, it will get your heart moving just fine once you get into the higher weights. Just do it! I'm the "old lady" in the squat rack- those kids don't intimidate me! After a year, you can REALLY see and feel the difference. I just chucked all my old pants and had to go buy new ones. :)
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Awesome advice! Couldn't agree more!
  • 17Delts
    17Delts Posts: 9 Member
    Amen! good for you sister
  • jer2kat
    jer2kat Posts: 71 Member
    Bump
  • vcuchick
    vcuchick Posts: 29 Member
    This is great! Thank you! I use a gym by my house that also happens to be across the street from a police/fire station. I am usually the only female in the whole place at the times I go for my workout. I need to add strength training and this has given me the "cajones" to just get in there and get it done. Thanks!
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    This is great! Thank you! I use a gym by my house that also happens to be across the street from a police/fire station. I am usually the only female in the whole place at the times I go for my workout. I need to add strength training and this has given me the "cajones" to just get in there and get it done. Thanks!

I am glad I am not using that gym....I wouldn't get any work done!!!:tongue:
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    About time, high five
  • clarion_r
    clarion_r Posts: 53 Member
    Thank you for this - it's exactly what I needed to read, when I needed to read it!
  • carriehoot
    carriehoot Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you so much! The free weights are a major intimidation for me! I'm going to read up and jump out of my comfort zone!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    That's awesome. More gyms should offer something like that. Then, some of us wouldn't feel so outside of our "comfort zone".
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Great
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    This is a great post with lots of helpful tidbits. Thank you :)
  • cls78628
    cls78628 Posts: 6
    Awesome!

From the perspective of a man (in the free weight section) I have nothing but respect for women as well as others who are insecure and/or intimidated in some form (new strength trainers, guys with slight frames, etc). In the past, I have come back into the gym off of a prolonged injury and experienced low self esteem and insecurity. I knew I was going to be weaker than usual, and was uncomfortable about the fact that some of the roided up gym rats (relatively rare where I work out) might see me lifting weights that they mastered a decade ago.

That being said, I am naturally a strong person. SO... if I felt insecure about it, either I'm a coward or you are just very self-confident (I prefer to think the latter). I wish I could get my wife into free weights, but there's that typical female mental block about it, which is a shame since I believe strength training is the most healthy and beneficial of physical activities.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    Excellent post!
    I would use caution though using the 'free' training sessions available at most gyms as some responses have suggested. In my opinion you get what you pay for... do your research and find a good trainer who knows what they are talking about and will show you the correct form.
  • here's the deal... people are so consumed with themselves they will not notice you most of the time. so fake it till you make it. i refused to pay for a gym membership but i love lifting free weights. so when i got my current job, it has a small gym on site and i am lucky to go during the day when it's not so busy. but i have gone after work too. i'm pretty much one of two-three ladies (i've ever seen) in the free weights area. i've gotten compliments from the gym staff re: my kettlebell technique and the other day two staff members were betting i was a former power lifter. i didn't know to be offended or flattered. so when the staff member asked, I just said i wasn't afraid to lift heavy weights/did weight training in off season HS and college. "Not a lot of women come in here doing compound movements" ... anyway it feels good to bench more than some bros in there but i know their gains far surpass me. tldr: i feel capable of anything after a good workout and don't be scared. easier said than done, but with most things in life - people are more concerned with themselves than they are with you.
  • mandylynn1975
    mandylynn1975 Posts: 25 Member
    Awesome post! Thank you. I don't belong to a gym, but would like to start some lifting. I will look for the books to become educated first. :)
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    I am also the woman in the weights section! I had an audience yesterday when I was deadlifting 200# :-)
  • This is wonderful advice and information. You may want to write to a large audience by having your own blog or website.