Does anyone else have crap genetics?

We all know genetics play a big role in weight loss/muscle gain. I can definitely say I've got crappy genetics because I'm not losing fat where I would like! Unfortunately, where fat comes off first/last in weight loss is something that's beyond our control...
When I started really working out and eating clean, I wasn't considered overweight. But I did have larger hips, breasts and quite a bit around around the stomach.
Since I started working out and eating clean, I've gone from a full C to a reasonable A boob-wise! At the moment you could hardly say that I have a flat stomach, but it does look better than before... My already small waist has gotten smaller and my hips haven't changed too much... My upper arms seem to be clinging on to the fat whilst lower arms are stick thin!! Haha I'm not really complaining (Okay, maybe a bit) but it just seems so unfair :P I'm hoping it will just even out as I progress!
Anyone else have crap genetics like this? And does anyone know if I'll be flat-chested before I get a flat stomach, or will everything even out?

Replies

• phars73
    phars73 Posts: 4
    I can't say I agree with "crap" genes. It would be boring if we all looked like barbie. That being said I have recently decided to start eating clean.and I am glad to hear it works. Try to look in the mirror everyday and tell yourself positive things. It sounds like you are really down on yourself and that is not healthy. Best of luck :)
  • Okay, I admit, I laughed when I read your post. In no ways am I laughing at you. All I could think was, "Thank God, there's someone else..."

My situation is similar. Both sides of my family have been "blessed" with larger hips, thighs, and backside area. Fortunately, we aren't too bad off in the chest area either! Like you, I have a small waist. When I lose weight, it seems like my upper body gets smaller while my lower body just sticks around going, "Yeah, right..."

Believe me, I know it is an extremely frustrating situation. I'll never stop working to make my body what I want it to be. But that being said, I am also learning to embrace my curves. Sure, I want to get them far, far more toned than they are currently, but I also know that I am unique from everyone else. So are you. Learn to embrace what you have. In no way does it mean you stop pushing, but attitude changes everything.

Like me, there are certain so-called "problem areas" that may call for a little more attention, but being healthy is really the key. If you feel healthy, allow that to translate to the way you see your body (a lesson I'm still teaching to myself!). Good luck on your journey!
  • craziwrld
    craziwrld Posts: 43 Member
    I'm the same way, except when I was skinny before my pregnancies my boobs were an average B cup. I was you trademark par shape, actually still am even afte putting on 83lbs, but now I am down 30 of those lbs. So far my boobs haven't shrunk much, I thinkI went from a small D to a large C. My waist and stomach are where I have lost the most.
    So far. Though I have a feeling my boobs will prob start shrinking soon. Right now my problem is seeing all the stretch marks that used to be stretched out and not seen. I'm sure my boobs will bother me at some point along the line lol. Just remember that you are doing this to be healthy. We will always have something about us we don't like, it's human nature, but be proud, and if it bothers you enough and you have the money and want to fix it, then go for it. Wedding present maybe? Lol
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Stop calling them "crap" genetics and just focus on being the best YOU.

Things might even out more as you lose more weight. But they might not. You just have to deal with what you've got unless you plan to invest in surgery.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    I used "crappy genetics" as my excuse for years. Stop letting it be a crutch and let it go. Embrace the new you wherever the weight loss shows. Others will still notice you have shedded the pounds evern in your "problem areas". Most of us will never truly be satisfied with how we look anyway.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    small waist and big hips =/= crap genetics. It sounds pretty ideal to me..... just remember that no-one looks like an airbrushed magazine model, not even the actual models, otherwise their pics wouldn't be airbrushed.

be happy with yourself the way you are, and strive to be the best version of yourself that you can be.

BTW I have a thick waist and no butt to speak of, well I have a butt now but only because I worked my *kitten* off (or should I say worked my *kitten* on :laugh: ) doing barbell squats and deadlifts. You can shape some aspects of your body with the right kinds of exercise, but only up to a point. Genetics plays a big role and some people do find it easier to lose fat than others, but I haven't met anyone who says "I just totally love the way my body stores fat, it comes off exactly where I want it to in the exact order I want it to" - i.e. no-one has perfect genetics and no-one has a perfect body, otherwise there'd be no jobs for the people who airbrush magazine photos...
  • JackiLean
    JackiLean Posts: 62 Member
    Um, everyone's all "be happy with who you are" and stuff...

I have a HUGE butt. When I gain or lose weight, that's where it goes/comes from. Fine. Whatever. The biggest problem is that it doesn't take much to make it get bigger, but I have to kill myself to make it smaller.

Then there's my little sister. Great body. Only works out for muscle definition sometimes. Eats whatever she wants. NEVER GAINS A SINGLE POUND.

AND her hair is really shiny.

I got the short stick for sure.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    We all know genetics play a big role in weight loss/muscle gain. I can definitely say I've got crappy genetics because I'm not losing fat where I would like!

Rubbish. What about if you 'would like' to lose fat in a different area, and your body was losing fat there? Would that all of a sudden mean that your same body now has good genetics?
  • clareyoung80
    clareyoung80 Posts: 177 Member
    I personally don't believe in 'crap genes'. Everyone makes the best of what they have been given, and they are always given something fantastic. It's just normally, most people don't want that, they want something else.

I have a pear shape, so I've lost most of the weight in places I don't care about (shoulders, chest etc... I mean, thanks, but I don't care about skinny shoulders!!) and I still have plenty of weight in my thighs, hips, butt and belly.

But, I guess, as much as I may be down on my teeny boobs, I do get to have a great butt at some point (needs a lot of work though, but there's plenty of fat there to re-shape!)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Actually I have very GOOD genes for survival. Unfortunately not so good for staying thin and todays definition of beauty. I also carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Actually I have very GOOD genes for survival. Unfortunately not so good for staying thin and todays definition of beauty. I also carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs.

:drinker: very true

we're all the product of millions of years of evolutionary success... we all have excellent genetics. obesity is just the result of us getting too good at technology and food acquisition.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Nice excuse OP, but I hate to break it to you, you're not special, you're just not working as hard as you could. Stop looking for reasons as to why you can't be better, and just put in the work TO be better.

Rigger
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Please don't begin a statement of pure conjecture with "We all know."
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    I don't really know why everyone is attacking the OP. She's not making excuses, what she's saying is correct.

The areas of the body where you store fat and subsequently, the areas you LOSE fat from are all decided by your genetic makeup. This is why we are constantly saying "you can't spot reduce fat" because you can't. Your body is unique, and where it stores fat is predetermined by DINGDINGDING your genes. This is why some people have double chins for a long time even after losing 20 lbs, and some others have stubborn belly fat that they can't lose, while others may lose evenly all over.

I have small boobs, small hips, small legs. I store fat in my midsection/batwings/lovehandles/upper arms. That sucks, and it's because of my genes. It's not because I'm not "working hard enough", I can't lose fat only from my bra bulge. It will come off with time, but I can still be annoyed by it.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    I guess I have crap genetics then too. Dammit, I'll never be pretty.

Seriously, I'm a flat chested pear with most of my fat being stored in my thighs and my *kitten*. Will I ever be perfect? No. But I can't control where my body decides to distribute or lose fat, but I can make sure that there's muscle there when I lose the fat. And I will lose the fat. But you can't change your body shape. There's nothing wrong with it either. There isn't one "perfect" body. It isn't "crap genetics", it's called "we're all different".

And to whoever said their sister can eat whatever she wants and not gain a pound, that's garbage. Unless you're with her 24/7, you don't really know how much she's eating and how much she's moving.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    we're all the product of millions of years of evolutionary success... we all have excellent genetics.
    Now, THAT is putting things into perspective. :drinker:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    No, I have fabulous genetics...couldn't ask for better genes--my issue is I can tend to be gluttonous, slothful/lazy, entitled and spoiled rotten about not doing the hard work it takes to get me where I want to be spiritually, mentally, and especially physically. That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-it's my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be that has me looking and feeling the way I do--but that's just me, of course. :flowerforyou:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Seriously, I'm a flat chested pear with most of my fat being stored in my thighs and my *kitten*. Will I ever be perfect? No. But I can't control where my body decides to distribute or lose fat, but I can make sure that there's muscle there when I lose the fat. And I will lose the fat. But you can't change your body shape. There's nothing wrong with it either. There isn't one "perfect" body. It isn't "crap genetics", it's called "we're all different".

Pretty much this. I look 20% body fat from the waist up, and 30% from the waist down. Meh, better than 35% all over. I'll take it.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Just keep going. Once you're in a healthy place, everything will be balanced out.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Whatever... bad genetics is just a cop out. Do the best you can and be better than yesterday.