Does anyone else have crap genetics?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    No, I have fabulous genetics...couldn't ask for better genes--my issue is I can tend to be gluttonous, slothful/lazy, entitled and spoiled rotten about not doing the hard work it takes to get me where I want to be spiritually, mentally, and especially physically. That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be--but that's just me, of course. :flowerforyou:

So can you explain to me why I can bring my HR from 140 to 190 in less than 1 minute but still have stubborn fat that squishes beneath my bra strap? I work very hard and will continue to do so and am in excellent cardiovascular health, but I am hanging onto fat in certain spots. This is caused by my genes, who aren't always the kindest friends to me. I'm not blaming my genes as an excuse for lack of effort on my own part, but because they ARE to blame for the locations of the fat deposits on my body.

No, I can't explain it...but I can say that many times we "think" we are eating, drinking and working out as hard or as productive as we can and we simply aren't--we think we are, but we're not. Example...if I'm not measuring my foods--if I'm "eyeing" them, no matter how much I think I'm eating X amount of cals--I could very well be over-estimating how much I'm eating. If I'm not using one of those fancy thingys like a HRM (heart-rate monitor, fitbit or one of those other do-dads), no matter how much I think I'm burning X amount of cals--I'm not.

Your genes very well maybe the reasons you're failing at accomplishing your goals...but they are NOT mine, which is why I ended my post stating "That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be--but that's just me, of course."

I am still halfway to my goal, so I'm not "not accomplishing my goals". I am also not saying that my genes make it so I can't lose weight. I am losing 1-2 lbs per week, and my legs look great, my back fat/stomach/upper arms, not so much. My body hanging onto fat in certain areas is determined by genetics. When I am at my goal weight, I'd like to hope that the fat I want to lose from the areas i want to lose it from will be gone, but it may not be the case. That's all.

I understand :flowerforyou: I was sharing/answering your question "Does anyone else have cr?p genetics" and "my" reasons why I'm not looking the way I want. Again, which is why I ended saying "this is just me, of course" Thanks so much for asking this question...it helps me (personally) to try not to blame or complain about stuff I can't do anything about and appreciate the good things I have and that I yet have the ability to change or do (or at least think about) the hard work (and accentuating the positive and thus somewhat eliminating the negative things that do not I have ANY control over--because I can (I don't always want to, feel like it)--but things that are within my control--I can change--it's hard, but not impossible. Again, the things that I perceive as impossible--well....I can focus on positive aspects of my life (instead of the negative stuff I can't do anything about) and that helps me in this battle of the bulge, to somehow makes me more, ummmm--tougher/grateful for the good things I have or can have/be or something like that.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    As for the definition of "attack" I'm not going to argue about that, but anyone who feels attacked by people disagreeing with them on the internet is going to have a hard time interacting on the internet. Blunt comments happen, and 99% of "meanness" on the internet isn't meant that way.

I've been around the internet block, so I know not to take anything to heart :flowerforyou: . Most of the people who come on this site looking for help/guidance may not know that. I've read all the "MFP BULLIES!!! RARRR" threads and can see from a newbie's perspective how a blunt answer could deflate their motivation but I also see how tough love can help the right person.

I'm also not claiming that I have "crap" genetics, but explaining that genetics determine the way everyone's body stores fat and that working harder isn't going to change that fact for anyone. I think most people read the "crap genetics" thing and hopped on the "LAME EXCUSES" bandwagon and ignored everything else OP said.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    There are crap genetics and then there are crap genetics. My mom's side of the family are short and tend to be "broad in the beam," even the fit or skinny ones. Some of it's bone structure. Some of it's fat distribution. But it's definitely in the genes.

Then there was my dad. Tall, had to work to keep weight on, wilderness guide...

He was the one who died of a massive heart attack before 60. Mom's short, chubby kin make it to their 80s and 90s, no problem.

I have to work to keep my butt and thighs looking reasonable, but I'd rather be alive and "thick" than skinny and dead.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    whoops
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Sure do. Genetics are going to put me in an earlier grave than others unless science outpaces me.
    Oh, boobs? You're probably in the wrong size bra.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Nope, I think having a third leg is awesome!!:blushing:
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    whoops

Glad you changed this because that was a bit harsh.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Oh... when you said 'crap genetics', I thought you were talking about a propensity for heart disease or breast/ovarian cancer. Or maybe genes that make it likely that you'll suffer any number of autoimmune conditions, thinning bones or osteoarthritis. Because personally... yeah, I do have that kind of crap genetics.

I couldn't care less about the size of my boobs. Small breasts are not even crap genetics. Breast size is just a physical appearance trait that has absolutely no bearing on your health.

Shaking my head... and sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just got some bad health news that *is* due to my 'crap genetics'. I'm feeling pretty touchy, and to hear someone complaining about the horrors of 'crap genes' causing A-cups... well, I'm just not up for that today.

Make the best of what you have, and if small breasts are the worst of it, be very thankful.

^Exactly what I was thinking coming into this post.

I recently found out that I have colon cancer at the age of *25*. And I have to get a portion of my colon removed in the next few months to keep it from killing me. None of which is by any fault of my own <---THAT's what I call crappy genetics. Along with that beautiful news, I also have vitiglio, halo moles and scalp psoriasis.

I can live with the fact that I have a small amount of fat under my damn bra strap for God's sake. But the fact that I have auto-immune disorders and one of the most deadly diseases in our country for no other fact than sh!tty genetics?.....*That* I'd rather not have to live with.

My heart truly goes out to all of you guys that can't lose those last 5lbs because your terrible family brought you into this world with crappy genetics :noway:

People take entirely too many things for granted.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    There are crap genetics and then there are crap genetics. My mom's side of the family are short and tend to be "broad in the beam," even the fit or skinny ones. Some of it's bone structure. Some of it's fat distribution. But it's definitely in the genes.

He was the one who died of a massive heart attack before 60. Mom's short, chubby kin make it to their 80s and 90s, no problem.

I have to work to keep my butt and thighs looking reasonable, but I'd rather be alive and "thick" than skinny and dead.

Love this
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Oh... when you said 'crap genetics', I thought you were talking about a propensity for heart disease or breast/ovarian cancer. Or maybe genes that make it likely that you'll suffer any number of autoimmune conditions, thinning bones or osteoarthritis. Because personally... yeah, I do have that kind of crap genetics.

I couldn't care less about the size of my boobs. Small breasts are not even crap genetics. Breast size is just a physical appearance trait that has absolutely no bearing on your health.

Shaking my head... and sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just got some bad health news that *is* due to my 'crap genetics'. I'm feeling pretty touchy, and to hear someone complaining about the horrors of 'crap genes' causing A-cups... well, I'm just not up for that today.

Make the best of what you have, and if small breasts are the worst of it, be very thankful.

Agreed, 100%. I'm very sorry for your news and wish you the best.

Everyone's struggles affect themselves differently, but I DO hope OP has empathy enough to realize the sensitivity of what, exactly, "crap genetics" mean for many people. Mental disorders, cancer, lifetime diseases, etc.

It sucks when you don't get met with a body you desire, but often, that issue isn't crap genetics... it's a mindset that could use some changing.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Nope. I have human genetics. If I had crap genetics I wouldn't be multicellular or able to type this. (And would probably be smelly.)

Have they sequenced the crap genome yet?
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    I agree with the posters who say boob, butt, and waist sizes aren't exactly crap genetics. I'm short and have full cheeks thanks to genetics from my dad's side of the family. The shortness and fat cheeks aren't the crap genetics, however - the heart disease is! On my mom's side, people tend to be fully gray-headed before they reach 30. That's not the crap genetics. The colon cancer is! While the pelvic congestion syndrome I was diagnosed with can be attributed to genetics, and it is pretty crappy, I still wouldn't call it "crap genetics" because it's not going to kill me.

Make the best of the shape mother nature gave you! Small boobs won't hurt you!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member

Work at what, exactly? Lots of exercise to combat your overeating, or are your ancestors actually holding you down and shoving food in your mouth?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Nope. I have human genetics. If I had crap genetics I wouldn't be multicellular or able to type this. (And would probably be smelly.)

Have they sequenced the crap genome yet?

crap has no genome because it's not an organism (although the food eaten by the organism which produced the crap that is the topic of this discussion did have a genome...)

but :drinker: @ your post because it's great
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Yeah. My mom's side of the family, every single woman no matter how thin or fat, "enjoys" a lifetime of lumpy saddlebags, bingo wings, large chests starting around age 11-12 that sag by your mid teens, etc.

But on the good side...everyone on both sides of my family has relatively excellent health. High energy, strong immune systems, good skin and hair and teeth etc. Not a lot of illness, and people seem to live forever (like 90s plus) in both sides of my family...not even any cancer except 1 case of lung cancer brought on by 45 years of smoking 4 packs a day (my late uncle).

So honestly...I'll take it over a sleek trim cellulite-free physique any day.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member

Work at what, exactly? Lots of exercise to combat your overeating, or are your ancestors actually holding you down and shoving food in your mouth?

No, their ancestors were living toys with 80s GI Joe figures for the top half and 80s He-Man figures for the bottom half.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Complaining about your body type is like complaining about the weather. You can't change it, so why bother? What you can do is work on accepting yourself as you are, while making what you have the best it can be. Yes, it's hard, it is hard for everyone, even those whose body type you wish you had. You wouldn't be happier if you magically had a bigger chest and a smaller butt (or whatever).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Haha yes. Horrible stretch marks (although my fault, my skin heals very poorly), lots of loose skin, and I have that fat on my hips that just won't go away. And a double chin still. But I have nice legs...
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    I have crap genetics but not in the way you are describing. My mom and my maternal grandmother had horrible arthritis at an early age and I was just diagnosed with very advanced arthritis in my hip. I'm in constant pain but I'm still exercising and still losing weight. You just have to push through things sometimes. If this were easy we'd all be skinny and fit.
  • cazattack2
    cazattack2 Posts: 37 Member
    Crap genetics here! I'm tall/wide bone structure (being a woman makes this a challenge) in also a natural apple shape and naturally inflexible. I have to work twice as hard as most people it seems. But I'm making it work!!! The worst part is being naturally larger than my bf, even at a healthy weight!