Does anyone else have crap genetics?

Replies

• husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Um, everyone's all "be happy with who you are" and stuff...

I have a HUGE butt. When I gain or lose weight, that's where it goes/comes from. Fine. Whatever. The biggest problem is that it doesn't take much to make it get bigger, but I have to kill myself to make it smaller.

Then there's my little sister. Great body. Only works out for muscle definition sometimes. Eats whatever she wants. NEVER GAINS A SINGLE POUND.

AND her hair is really shiny.

I got the short stick for sure.

That may all be true, but what are you going to do about it? There is nothing you can do but focus on being the best you. Focusing on the negative will get you absolutely nowhere.

But if angst and dwelling on things beyond your control are your thing, go for it!
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    I can definitely say I've got crappy genetics because I'm not losing fat where I would like!

Uh yeah, that's not "crap genetics" that's just how these things work. But if that is crap genetics than EVERYONE has crap genetics since no one can point to an area and say "Get rid of this fat and keep that fat."

And FYI if you went down to an A cup, then what was giving you those additional cup sizes was the extra fat you gained from a caloric surplus. I am going to bet that if you were not overweight as a prepubescent that you cup size was an A until you started to gain weight.

I have myopia due to my "crap genetics" but my fat gain and fat loss is all me. And sure, it doesn't come off where I want it to but again, that's just how these things work.
  • denisegunnels
    denisegunnels Posts: 43 Member
    I drew the crap lot in genetics too. Short, fat, small boned, big hips, and a smaller waist. (My brother got the height dang it but he didn't get the 'full head of hair' or the 'good teeth' gene. :laugh: ) Been fighting it for years. Don't think I'll ever match the 'ideal' weight charts but I'm looking better.

You can't change your genetics but you can work with it. Keep on trying but don't try for the unrealistic.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    I hear ya! My sister and I may as well be adopted siblings for all of our differences! My sister is 5'4", petite, and athletic...even after 4 children she looks great. I am 5'9", bigger boned, no children....and fat anyway. But I got the hair, long and thick, and the big eyes. Still wish I was the petite one!
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Crap genetcs is my automimmune disorder that attacks my intestines and vascular system and makes me weak and tired.

Small boobs and a big butt? That is what makes it easy for me to run and bike.

IMHO, the OP does not have crap genetics, she has a crap attitude.

Women - revise your definition of beauty SO THAT IT INCLUDES YOU!!!

Good luck and God speed to those who have revealed the real "crap" genetics they are dealing with :flowerforyou:
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    FAIR.

Let's explore that:

I think of these definitions when I hear the word Fair - as in " it isn't fair" or "it is Fair".

marked by impartiality and honesty
    free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism
    conforming with the established rules

What you are describing is indeed frustrating - we have all prob been there and thought " It isn't Fair! " I'm doing x, y & z and I'm not getting the results that I seek on the timetable that I set.

I offer this advice:

It is simply REALITY. We are dealt the cards that we are dealt. In all aspects of life.

Pick up your cards and PLAY THEM with every bit of Sass and Energy that you can muster. After all, if you don't pick them up and PLAY THEM - what do you have ?

So .. GET AFTER IT ! Pick up the cards and PLAY THEM - with gusto !
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Oh my god, do I ever feel your pain! My legs are holding on to every ounce of fat! My upper arms are so flabby, no matter how much weight I lose and how much lifting I do. My back is the worst of all. My dang back has those ****ty little bat wings, and the rest of me is somewhat proportionate (I know what I just said, I just have a body in mind that I wish I had lol but in reality, I think it's okay) and when I wear a t-shirt, my stomach is small but you can see the back fat. Bra or no bra, it's there. I wish It would go away!
    Also, does anyone have butt dents? It's like a mans *kitten*, and mine was so curvaceous and now it looks.. weird..
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    No, I have fabulous genetics...couldn't ask for better genes--my issue is I can tend to be gluttonous, slothful/lazy, entitled and spoiled rotten about not doing the hard work it takes to get me where I want to be spiritually, mentally, and especially physically. That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be--but that's just me, of course. :flowerforyou:

So can you explain to me why I can bring my HR from 140 to 190 in less than 1 minute but still have stubborn fat that squishes beneath my bra strap? I work very hard and will continue to do so and am in excellent cardiovascular health, but I am hanging onto fat in certain spots. This is caused by my genes, who aren't always the kindest friends to me. I'm not blaming my genes as an excuse for lack of effort on my own part, but because they ARE to blame for the locations of the fat deposits on my body.

Heart rate can fluctuate without doing any activity at all, and really isn't a good indicator of fitness.

And... I could be wrong on this, but I thought that the body uses fat uniformly, and doesn't just pick and choose which deposits to use. Just like "spot reducing" is a fallacy. Some areas might store more fat than others, but everyone stores fat in those very same places.

The concept that fat stored in one part of the body is used before another is like the reverse of spot reducing. And the reality is that neither of those concepts are true.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Um, everyone's all "be happy with who you are" and stuff...

I have a HUGE butt. When I gain or lose weight, that's where it goes/comes from. Fine. Whatever. The biggest problem is that it doesn't take much to make it get bigger, but I have to kill myself to make it smaller.

Then there's my little sister. Great body. Only works out for muscle definition sometimes. Eats whatever she wants. NEVER GAINS A SINGLE POUND.

AND her hair is really shiny.

I got the short stick for sure.

Hahaha, how old is your little sister... I'm willing to bet she is probably no more than 25... Just wait honey, her time will come. I never had to do any thing and was a 36/26/36 until I was 46 years old. Now I gotta work at it, lol.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    No, I have fabulous genetics...couldn't ask for better genes--my issue is I can tend to be gluttonous, slothful/lazy, entitled and spoiled rotten about not doing the hard work it takes to get me where I want to be spiritually, mentally, and especially physically. That's my issue--cr$p genes--not so much--I wish I could blame it something/someone other than myself-my not consistently doing what it takes to be all that I can and should be--but that's just me, of course. :flowerforyou:

So can you explain to me why I can bring my HR from 140 to 190 in less than 1 minute but still have stubborn fat that squishes beneath my bra strap? I work very hard and will continue to do so and am in excellent cardiovascular health, but I am hanging onto fat in certain spots. This is caused by my genes, who aren't always the kindest friends to me. I'm not blaming my genes as an excuse for lack of effort on my own part, but because they ARE to blame for the locations of the fat deposits on my body.

Heart rate can fluctuate without doing any activity at all, and really isn't a good indicator of fitness.

And... I could be wrong on this, but I thought that the body uses fat uniformly, and doesn't just pick and choose which deposits to use. Just like "spot reducing" is a fallacy. Some areas might store more fat than others, but everyone stores fat in those very same places.

The concept that fat stored in one part of the body is used before another is like the reverse of spot reducing. And the reality is that neither of those concepts are true.

No fat, is not used uniformly. You can't chose where it comes from and you can't chose where it goes (well, without playing significantly with hormones in ways that are gyno-affecting but fat is most certainly not used uniformly). Fat deposit is partially structural, partially hormonal and also related to rate of deposit and in as much as some of that is genetic, fat distribution is genetically determined.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Oh... when you said 'crap genetics', I thought you were talking about a propensity for heart disease or breast/ovarian cancer. Or maybe genes that make it likely that you'll suffer any number of autoimmune conditions, thinning bones or osteoarthritis. Because personally... yeah, I do have that kind of crap genetics.

I couldn't care less about the size of my boobs. Small breasts are not even crap genetics. Breast size is just a physical appearance trait that has absolutely no bearing on your health.

Shaking my head... and sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just got some bad health news that *is* due to my 'crap genetics'. I'm feeling pretty touchy, and to hear someone complaining about the horrors of 'crap genes' causing A-cups... well, I'm just not up for that today.

Make the best of what you have, and if small breasts are the worst of it, be very thankful.

Yeah, I was thinking something along the lines of this, too.

"Crap genetics" is knowing that you will more than likely outlive your child because of a genetic trait that you carry.

Don't like your body shape? Take a freakin' number.
    Lose weight or learn to dress better.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Oh... when you said 'crap genetics', I thought you were talking about a propensity for heart disease or breast/ovarian cancer. Or maybe genes that make it likely that you'll suffer any number of autoimmune conditions, thinning bones or osteoarthritis. Because personally... yeah, I do have that kind of crap genetics.

I couldn't care less about the size of my boobs. Small breasts are not even crap genetics. Breast size is just a physical appearance trait that has absolutely no bearing on your health.

Shaking my head... and sorry if this comes off harsh, but I just got some bad health news that *is* due to my 'crap genetics'. I'm feeling pretty touchy, and to hear someone complaining about the horrors of 'crap genes' causing A-cups... well, I'm just not up for that today.

Make the best of what you have, and if small breasts are the worst of it, be very thankful.

Make that two of us. I deal with the results of my "crap genetics" every single day and I wish it was as simple as the size of my butt in my favorite jeans.

Are you physically able to work hard to achieve your goals? Are you mentally able to formulate a plan and stick to it? Then you've got all the tools you need sweetheart, you're just lacking the ambition.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    johnny-depp-problem-is-not-the-problem1.jpg
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    I definitely lost the genetic lottery. I was doomed from birth lol. I was overweight from like age 3 onward. It's all I've ever known, it's not surprising that I'm comfortable being overweight. I've had stretch marks since I was 9, they're all over my body now, even my calves and ankles. Some women get that "pouch" after they have a baby, well I've had it since I was a teenager and it only got bigger after I had my kid.

Yeah, there's nothing great or nice about my body. Genetics suck.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    johnny-depp-problem-is-not-the-problem1.jpg

I'm sooooo stealing your picture! I can even hear his voice saying this very clearly.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    SUCH crap genetics. I ended up with a decent rack. All else, a disaster. My mom is 5'7" and 110 pounds, and looks AMAZING. Came in second in her age group for the Spartan Race, with no training. I work my *kitten* off, and I've got my dad's fat genes for sure. Not to mention health issues related to the fat genes. Blah.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Since I can't be supportive in this thread, perhaps I can be motivational:

baby-crying-o.gif

Quit crying and go to the gym, buy a Wonder Bra, google "what not to wear" and do something to reward yourself for your hard work.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    SUCH crap genetics. I ended up with a decent rack. All else, a disaster. My mom is 5'7" and 110 pounds, and looks AMAZING. Came in second in her age group for the Spartan Race, with no training. I work my *kitten* off, and I've got my dad's fat genes for sure. Not to mention health issues related to the fat genes. Blah.

Please provide a credible scientific study supporting the existence of said "fat genes".
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    I definitely lost the genetic lottery. I was doomed from birth lol. I was overweight from like age 3 onward. It's all I've ever known, it's not surprising that I'm comfortable being overweight. I've had stretch marks since I was 9, they're all over my body now, even my calves and ankles. Some women get that "pouch" after they have a baby, well I've had it since I was a teenager and it only got bigger after I had my kid.

Yeah, there's nothing great or nice about my body. Genetics suck.

That's not genetics. That's your parents teaching you or allowing poor eating habits and lack of activity.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Here's a thought? Stop worrying about genetics and the effect they have on your physical appearance. it does sound a bit petty and silly. If you eat right and work out, you can be fit and healthy. And you can learn to be happy with how you look, and love your best self.
    I've been told, based on my looks, that I have good genetics. I also eat carefully and work out. drink a lot of water, etc. So that has something to do with it . And yes, who my parents are also has something to do with what I look like.

BUT: my genetics also have a lot to do with these facts: I have degenerative disk disease, so I have had multiple back surgeries and have chronic back pain and limited mobility. I also have Inflammatory Bowel Disease, an auto-immune condition that makes it difficult for me to eat. I have a lot of pain from that and it wreaks havoc with my immune system. Third, and most fun, I also have brain cancer.

Those are all things I can thank my genetics for, and nothing I eat or work out or do will change them. So forgive me if it sounds a little petty when people complain that bad genetics give them small boobs or wide hips or a flat butt.