Does anyone else have crap genetics?

Replies

• summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    SUCH crap genetics. I ended up with a decent rack. All else, a disaster. My mom is 5'7" and 110 pounds, and looks AMAZING. Came in second in her age group for the Spartan Race, with no training. I work my *kitten* off, and I've got my dad's fat genes for sure. Not to mention health issues related to the fat genes. Blah.

Please provide a credible scientific study supporting the existence of said "fat genes".

Seriously? There's tons. No, I'm not fat. But I have to work hard to not be. And I will always have genetic health issues, fat or not. Hence the crap genetics.

Here's one. http://www.scribd.com/doc/119520470/Cell-Metabolism-UCLA-Study
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    SUCH crap genetics. I ended up with a decent rack. All else, a disaster. My mom is 5'7" and 110 pounds, and looks AMAZING. Came in second in her age group for the Spartan Race, with no training. I work my *kitten* off, and I've got my dad's fat genes for sure. Not to mention health issues related to the fat genes. Blah.

Please provide a credible scientific study supporting the existence of said "fat genes".

Fat genes are genes that eat too much and don't do enough exercise, so they get fat, unlike other genes that are busy assembling amino acids to make proteins all day long.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member

Fat genes are genes that eat too much and don't do enough exercise, so they get fat, unlike other genes that are busy assembling amino acids to make proteins all day long.

OMG... I love you so hard right now!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :heart: :heart: :heart: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Jenn842512
    Jenn842512 Posts: 41 Member
    "crap" genetics are an excuse. All the women in my family (mother, three aunts, and three cousins) all range from mildly to morbidly overweight. These are my genetics. For awhile, I started to ease on in to that appearance. It would have been convenient to say I was simply a victim of genetics.
    But then I stopped being lazy, dropped 50 pounds, and never looked back.
    I do not feel that I have to work any harder than any other athlete to meet or maintain my fitness goals.

We make oursleves.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

The pants you wear after a night at the Chinese buffet.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    This thread is awesome! I can tell who is lazy and making excuses and who isn't. While I think genes can cause some issues. It is mostly an excuse. If you have gotten into the best shape you can. I'm talking you strength train and don't waist all your time on cardio. As a man you are down to 10-12% as a woman 15-18% body fat. You see you have some weak areas. Let's say your triceps are weak. You work on them properly for season after season of a bulk and cut. Those triceps muscles still won't catch up. Then maybe you can say your genes are causing you to just have that weak area and your triceps will just be a lagging part of your body. If you are over weight and blaming it on genes, you my friend are lazy and need to work harder.
  • SuperTiredMom
    SuperTiredMom Posts: 172 Member
    I can't wait until that day I can look down from my pedestal and tell those who are struggling with acceptance of areas that they "can't target lose" from and tell them they aren't working hard enough. I mean, even someone at "perfect" % could want larger/smaller/whatever and wish it was a little bit different, but I guess they should have just worked harder and told those non-existant body-type determining genes to GTFO and let the fat fall where we want it to, right?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    I can't wait until that day I can look down from my pedestal and tell those who are struggling with acceptance of areas that they "can't target lose" from and tell them they aren't working hard enough. I mean, even someone at "perfect" % could want larger/smaller/whatever and wish it was a little bit different, but I guess they should have just worked harder and told those non-existant body-type determining genes to GTFO and let the fat fall where we want it to, right?

Most of us on the supposed "pedestal" have what the OP has defined as "crap genetics". So I really don't see your point? Maybe we learned something from our "crap genetics" and have moved onto a better place of accepting what we can't change and working hard at what we can?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

But... fat does fall where it does. You can't "target lose."
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I definitely lost the genetic lottery. I was doomed from birth lol. I was overweight from like age 3 onward. It's all I've ever known, it's not surprising that I'm comfortable being overweight. I've had stretch marks since I was 9, they're all over my body now, even my calves and ankles. Some women get that "pouch" after they have a baby, well I've had it since I was a teenager and it only got bigger after I had my kid.

Yeah, there's nothing great or nice about my body. Genetics suck.

Nothing great about your body? Nothing at all? Then make it better.

I don't necessarily like how I look. But I can't change that. You know what I can change though? How much I squat. How far I run. How many pushups I do.

I have stretch marks. I still have fat that needs to leave. But it's not "crap genetics". It's "I sat on my butt too much and ate too much food". I appreciate what my body can do now. I appreciate the speed at which I complete a mile. I appreciate how it carries me and allows me to move in ways I couldn't two years ago.

Complaining changes nothing.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

The point is..... REALITY. Are you fatter than you want to be? Work harder. Is your chest smaller than you'd like? Get a breast augmentation, or accept it. Whining about it isn't going to change it. Are your hips bigger than you'd like, even at an ideal body fat %? Well, really, nothing you can do about that honey. If you are at a healthy weight and body fat % and are otherwise healthy, then be happy.
  • DamePiglet

It has nothing to do with pedestals, but it DOES have to do with self-acceptance.

The term "crap genes" is ridiculous to describe having small breasts, whatever sized hips, blah blah blah.

(ETA: I'm not considering myself to be someone of "perfect %" - not by a long shot, but since I'm a bit outspoken about it, I'm chiming in here)
  • SuperTiredMom

That was my point.
  • DamePiglet

That was my point.

Just because people don't like their bodies, it doesn't mean that they have "crappy genetics", it means that they should learn to play cards with the hand they're dealt.

ETA: I hate pronoun agreement!
  • meh. OP, you sound just like all the other women in my family.
  • SuperTiredMom

Most of us on the supposed "pedestal" have what the OP has defined as "crap genetics". So I really don't see your point? Maybe we learned something from our "crap genetics" and have moved onto a better place of accepting what we can't change and working hard at what we can?

The point is, it's not about being lazy, she's not complaining about her "crap genetics" keeping her from losing weight, she's complaining it's keeping her from losing in CERTAIN AREAS. That's not about "not working hard enough" that's about you.can't.spot.target. Goodness gracious, heaven forbid someone needs a vent about where it's coming off. We all have a goal, a mental image of what we WANT to look like when we lose/gain, crucify her for realizing that most likely, due to her genetically predetermined body type, she wont have that body structure she craves, no matter how hard she work because the fat will come off where it wants to instead of where she wants it to.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    The truth is that unless you are at your ideal BF%... weight... shape... whatever... you're just not going to be happy with your body at any point in this process. That does not mean that your genetics are to blame. Take accountability. Your body is like this because at some point in your life, you weren't very concerned with how it looks. You would likely be much happier with it now had you taken accountability for the way your body looked when you were younger. The good news is that if you take accountability now, and stop looking for scapegoats, you are pretty likely to be happy with it in the future.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member

The point is, it's not about being lazy, she's not complaining about her "crap genetics" keeping her from losing weight, she's complaining it's keeping her from losing in CERTAIN AREAS. That's not about "not working hard enough" that's about you.can't.spot.target. Goodness gracious, heaven forbid someone needs a vent about where it's coming off. We all have a goal, a mental image of what we WANT to look like when we lose/gain, crucify her for realizing that most likely, due to her genetically predetermined body type, she wont have that body structure she craves, no matter how hard she work because the fat will come off where it wants to instead of where she wants it to.

No one is saying she isn't working hard enough. All anyone is saying is that her attitude towards her own particular set of circumstances isn't very productive.

And I mean honestly, if she was losing in her arms, then she would likely not be losing somewhere else. Why should she trouble herself worry about itt because either way, she's not going to be happy until she gets to her goal.
  • SuperTiredMom
    I can't wait until that day I can look down from my pedestal and tell those who are struggling with acceptance of areas that they

It has nothing to do with pedestals, but it DOES have to do with self-acceptance.

No one is saying "work harder at accepting yourself" the pedestal comes from "work harder" in general, as if she works harder, she will be able to get the body type she wants. Yes, you are right it's not about genetics at all, I never said it was, but it's fine to disagree with how our genetics work. We all say things that aren't necessarily true when we are frustrated, which the OP obviously is.
  • SuperTiredMom
    [/quote]

No one is saying she isn't working hard enough. All anyone is saying is that her attitude towards her own particular set of circumstances isn't very productive.
    [/quote]

^^^^

Really? The didn't? Did you read the thread?