Got a gym membership...

Now I have to get out of my own mental way to get there. :( I know I'll be happier if I go. I know I'll have more energy if I go. I know I'll be proud of myself if I go. I've set my alarm two mornings now for 5:30 AM and totally talked myself out of it.

Anyone else ever been where I am? How'd you "get over it"? TIA

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I'm kinda there now. All summer I woke at 5:45AM, for my mile to 2 mile walk. It was too cold in the winter and now I am having trouble getting back into it. I started walking after work instead for now but would really like to get back to my morning walks. Also my son is coaching me to start running. I don't think I could wake him early to go out with me right now.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Lay out your workout clothes the night before, right next to an alarm clock on the other side of the room. Get dressed immediately.

I am dead serious. Once I am dressed for the gym, there is a 98% chance that I will actually go.
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Lay out your workout clothes the night before, right next to an alarm clock on the other side of the room. Get dressed immediately.

I am dead serious. Once I am dressed for the gym, there is a 98% chance that I will actually go.

^^This. With all my stuff ready to go - it's easy to get out of the house.

If I have to get it all together...screw that.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member

I do this too! Or sleep in your workout clothes. Ha!
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member

I do this too! Or sleep in your workout clothes. Ha!

I get up at 4 a.m. I sleep in my workout clothes with my shoes/keys/water bottle on the counter next to the door. I also make plans to meet a friend there...that way I'm accountable to somebody else. If you can't talk a friend into joining you, make a new one at the gym. Best of luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    no just your clothes- but your workout- have a plan for your workout- it helps to have an idea of what you are going to do.

I can't help with the AM stuff- i'm not an AM workerouter- but I always take a gym bag every day with me- regardless of if it's on the plan- you never know when things change and you find yourself with the time to go- be prepared!!!
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Thanks everyone! Tomorrow's a new day. I've logged for 40 days straight. Let's see if I can get the gym going for the next 40. :)
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Can you go in the evening? Just do that instead. There's nothing magical about waking up and working out vs doing it after work.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Consistency is key, once you do get up and going, it gets easier and easier to get up and go.

I started with my alarm clock on my dresser so I actually had to get out of bed....even if it's didn't work everytime, but once i stopped talking myself into going back to bed it was easier and now I wake up before my alarm goes off at 5:25am

Movement is medicine and you can do this!
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    I would try going after work.

Nothing in my entire life is ever going to happen at 5:30AM except sleeping lol.

I go right after work, no stops, no going home to change-- straight to the gym.

30-60 minutes is not all that long to sacrifice from your night, if you really want to change.

Good luck!! xoxo
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    If you are not used to working out consistently, going at 5AM is too unreasonable of a goal. Try something easier and more possible. Cant make too dramatic of a change too fast. Just start by going 3 times per week, whenever you can, and do as much as you can. After 2 weeks, upgrade your goal to maybe 4 times a week and at a more specific time. It's like learning a new language....start with the ABC's ad don't be disappointed that you can write books in the new language right away.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Can you go in the evening? Just do that instead. There's nothing magical about waking up and working out vs doing it after work.

This. I go after work and before class. I don't get home till about 11pm most days so I let myself sleep till 8 am( work is at 10) although the last couple days its been more like 9....

My cat tries to help, he howls at me from the foot of my bed or by my pillow, but I've gotten good at ignoring him and he eventually curls up and sleeps too:laugh:

ETA: Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member

Movement is medicine and you can do this!

^I like this
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Maybe it's not the waking up early that's difficult, but the doing something new?

Once you get there, it will be so much easier. It's only scary the first time. Try just one area of the gym the first day (like cardio machines, or the pool) and then after that it won't be hard to walk in anymore. Every day will get easier to explore other areas until you feel like it's your second home!
  • I say there is something magical getting up early to exercise. It is starting the day with a win and that is so important. It can give you motivation for the rest of the day.

Talk yourself into it...

say...

After I wake up I will only be tired for another 5 minutes and then it will leave.
    Overtime my body will get used to exercising at that time and will start to wake up on it's own.
    I have already made my decision to get up.
    Start thinking...about anything that will get your mind excited, motivated...
    think about problems. This is great when exercising because the answers will come.

If you are like me, I don't like to exercise after work. I like having it done and over at the beginning of the day. The battle of whether to exercise is over with and I enjoy the rest of the day.
  • carlapendergrass
    carlapendergrass Posts: 42 Member
    Not everyone is a morning person. I tried to go to the gym in the mornings, but it just didn't work for me. I go after work, and on my days off.
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    It is starting the day with a win and that is so important. It can give you motivation for the rest of the day.
    ^^^ SO this!^^^
  • That's literally me every gym day. Today, in fact, I set an alarm for 5am to get up and go, but I hit snooze on that...and the 6am alarm I set...and the 7am...and 8am...I finally got up and went at 10am. For me, I seriously just have to force myself to get up. Honestly ive found that telling myself to get up and eat something before I go to the gym is more motivation than telling myself to get up and go to the gym because I am more motivated to eat! XD I also have to remember how awesome I feel after the gym. Hopefully I can get better and self motivating, but for now, that's what works for me!
  • allana1111
    allana1111 Posts: 390 Member
    I personally find it easier to go on either my lunch break for a 1/2 hour quick cardio session or after work so I can do longer and lift weights. mornings are just too pinched for time as it is.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Unfortunately, evenings are not an option. That is when I used to go when my husband and I went together. Now, it doesn't it in. But thank you!