Does anyone else have crap genetics?

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Yes, I may be new, however I'm not new to debating, which we are. I don't think you are seeing what I'm saying. I AGREE with you, but everyone seems to be hung up on my sympathy for the OP. I've not said anywhere that she should just give up on trying to love her body, not once. I only tried to defend her against those who (now if it's not you, it doesn't apply, I'm not *accusing* unless you actually did) were saying she was not working hard enough at LOSING. I believe I've tried to make my point clear enough, if I haven't, well I don't think that's on me.

If you continue to lurk in the forums, you will see every excuse known to mankind why people are overweight.
    To SO MANY, it's not their fault.
    It's Mom's fault, Dad's fault, SOs fault, childbirth, parenthood, the government, Big Food Corp... even blamed on "my friend the pastry chef"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    I get people that say I have great genetics, till they see what I looked like in high school. I look the way I look now because of A LOT of dedicated working out, proper nutrition and patience.
    Does my shape help genetically? Yeah, that's something we can't change too much, but improvement on what you have will ALWAYS have you looking better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Yes, I may be new, however I'm not new to debating, which we are. I don't think you are seeing what I'm saying. I AGREE with you, but everyone seems to be hung up on my sympathy for the OP. I've not said anywhere that she should just give up on trying to love her body, not once. I only tried to defend her against those who (now if it's not you, it doesn't apply, I'm not *accusing* unless you actually did) were saying she was not working hard enough at LOSING. I believe I've tried to make my point clear enough, if I haven't, well I don't think that's on me.

Here's the thing. This is a public forum. This post is going to garner a variety of responses from people with a variety of perspectives. Sure, there are lots here that support through empathy. There are others that support through agitation (as I mentioned earlier). There are others posting here that want to share a different perspective with the OP. And there are definitely several here stating that things could be worse (and they could).

Just because we aren't all empathizing with her rant, does not mean that she is being attacked. It means that we have something to share that she might find more helpful than focusing on things she has no control over (AKA her "crap" genetics).
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    I'm going to agree with the OP. Genetics can sometimes suck. However, they are what they are and we can't do anything about them. My daughter is freckled, even more than I am. It doesn't matter that we slathered sunscreen on her all.the.time, she's genetically predisposed to get them and she does.

I have a big bum, not huge, but big, so does my mom. However, my mom has an itty bitty waist too. I, don't. My sisters and I get big arms, quickly, when lifting. One of my sisters tested this to the extreme and has a very manly look to her shoulders and arms. If I lift heavy, I get big arms and shoulders. It doesn't work that way for my legs, but it does for my arms. It's genetic. Another sister is skinny (she's a runner, but her bone structure is very different from mine and she's skinny, but if she lifts heavy, even her arms get bulky, for her).

So, I work with what I got. I'm short (5'4") and finding pants to fit my shorts legs sucks. It's genetic, my mom is all of 4'10".

So, yes, genes can hinder the way we want to look, so we have to accept who we are and work with what we got. I know I will never look like a 5'9" model and I'm ok with it. I want to be thinner, but accept that I'll never be skinny (and I'm ok with it). Genetically, women in my family live long (my grandmothers are still alive, they are 97 and 94, their moms were both 85 when they died), so I'm grateful for that.

Maybe the OP needs to understand that genetically speaking there are limits to looking a certain way and she needs to decide how to work with her body and accept it for its beauty and uniqueness.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    This thread has been interesting indeed. I think we can all relate to striving for a certain goal and feeling a bit down when we don't progress the way we envision.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

I'm sure you've never, ever been frustrated in your life and gotten mad at something not working the way you wanted before, either. Never muttered the words "stupid computer" or "crappy car" when you were upset, yea? Nah, never. Again, it's obviously a struggle for her. Too bad a fitness forum can't be an appropriate outlet for her.

You can fix, trade-in or buy a new computer or car with the only inconvenience being cost. You cannot fix, trade-in or buy a different body type. You can only work on making it the best it can be. That darn reality again.

Are you being intentionally obtuse? Because if you aren't, you missed my point entirely. I'm saying there's nothing wrong with her genes, she's just frustrated. Therefore, if someone was just frustrated with their computer or car and there was nothing wrong with it, they may have possibly called it stupid or crappy or whatever in the past with no reason for a new one, it was just words of frustration.

The way to deal with frustration over something you cannot change is to accept it and get over it. Once she accepts it, then she won't place blame there and will likely be a happier person.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Genetics blah!!! There is not a petite person in my family!! However know what they ALL have that I do not?!?!? A freaking set of boobs!! Real boobs not ant mounds :/

I have had two pregnancies - singleton and twins...I have worn the same cup size bra since high school! Pregnancies making no difference. But you know what was one of the first things on my body to lose fat (that I did not even know I had any to lose) Thats right...the boobs!!:sad: If and when the ladies in my family lose weight...they keep their boobs! I get their hip and thighs why not the chest?!?!?!?

Now...I am doing squats and lunges to try and save what is left of my *kitten* which BTW used to be my best feature!!

On a positive note: with hard work and dedication...I have the best body in our family now :blushing: Keep working at it - you will get to a point that makes you happy if you do not give up. As a woman..there "may" always be a part of your body you dis like...we after all are very critical of ourselves. Just be proud of how far you have come..not how far you have to go!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    The amount of simplistic whining based on genetics in this thread is disgusting.

Try having a TRUE genetic disorder like an autoimmune disease or cancer- then complain about your bra straps making your back look fat.
  • deksgrl
    My goodness, reading comprehension goes a long way. She's not making excuses. She's frustrated with certain parts of her body. If she was making excuses, she'd be saying "I'm not working out anymore, crap genetics." Did she? No. I friggin hate that my back is holding on to the extra fat for dear life. How is that making an excuse? How did any of you pass English? And furthermore, you should never be hateful or rude to someone you have never met, because you do not know their life story. Every single person has their own personal problems that none of us know nothing about.
    I'm going to proudly say that my back is fat, and it looks weird with the rest of my body, and I'm doing everything I can to make it go away, but SOME DAYS IT FEELS LIKE IT ISN'T. And if some of you are defining it as an excuse for something I'm not aware of, then I guess I'm in the wrong thread. But last time I checked, it was 'motivation and support'

The OP said in her opening line: "We all know genetics play a big role in weight loss/muscle gain. I can definitely say I've got crappy genetics because I'm not losing fat where I would like! "

How many ways can be interpreted?

Pointing out the reality that you can't lose fat where you would like to isn't rude, it's truth.

But here's a happy unicorn, for "motivation and support"

fartingmug4.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    The amount of simplistic whining based on genetics in this thread is disgusting.

Try having a TRUE genetic disorder like an autoimmune disease or cancer- then complain about your bra straps making your back look fat.

You didn't read the entire thread, did you......?
  • bcf7683

I did, thank you. I gear that towards those wining about crap genetics not letting them lose fat where they would like. There are some people in here with a voice of reason, and I thank them for that.

Speaking as someone who has true genetic disorders, it's frustrating to see whining about things that aren't true problems in the scope of reality. I see that you understand that, but it ruffles my feathers a bit when people are so vanity driven and do not put any further thought into the things they are saying.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    My goodness, reading comprehension goes a long way. She's not making excuses. She's frustrated with certain parts of her body. If she was making excuses, she'd be saying "I'm not working out anymore, crap genetics." Did she? No. I friggin hate that my back is holding on to the extra fat for dear life. How is that making an excuse? How did any of you pass English? And furthermore, you should never be hateful or rude to someone you have never met, because you do not know their life story. Every single person has their own personal problems that none of us know nothing about.
    I'm going to proudly say that my back is fat, and it looks weird with the rest of my body, and I'm doing everything I can to make it go away, but SOME DAYS IT FEELS LIKE IT ISN'T. And if some of you are defining it as an excuse for something I'm not aware of, then I guess I'm in the wrong thread. But last time I checked, it was 'motivation and support'

The OP said in her opening line: "We all know genetics play a big role in weight loss/muscle gain. I can definitely say I've got crappy genetics because I'm not losing fat where I would like! "

Pointing out the reality that you can't lose fat where you would like to isn't rude, it's truth.

fartingmug4.jpg

Perfect post is perfect.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

I did, thank you. I gear that towards those wining about crap genetics not letting them lose fat where they would like. There are some people in here with a voice of reason, and I thank them for that.

Speaking as someone who has true genetic disorders, it's frustrating to see whining about things that aren't true problems in the scope of reality.

It's pretty blanket to just post what you did at the end of the thread when some others of us who do have auto immune diseases and cancer did post about that very thing in the middle of the thread. Your particular post did not address that at all, just the people who posted about genetics and weight.
  • bcf7683

Speaking as someone who has true genetic disorders, it's frustrating to see whining about things that aren't true problems in the scope of reality.

It's pretty blanket to just post what you did at the end of the thread when some others of us who do have auto immune diseases and cancer did post about that very thing in the middle of the thread. Your particular post did not address that at all, just the people who posted about genetics and weight.

I commented way back in the beginning as well sharing my own (real) issues with genetics. Following along with this thread just boosted the disgust factor.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    I am more upset that I am more carb sensitive than most people. Which seems to be genetic
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member

You two are saying the same thing, FFS. She isn't the only person who's made a redundant or generic point in a thread before and if someone couldn't figure out who she was addressing, well they lack some common sense.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Nice excuse OP, but I hate to break it to you, you're not special, you're just not working as hard as you could. Stop looking for reasons as to why you can't be better, and just put in the work TO be better.

Rigger

Work at what, exactly? Lots of exercise to combat your overeating, or are your ancestors actually holding you down and shoving food in your mouth?

Meh... Rigger is like that.

:flowerforyou:

Rigger :smokin:
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    I have crap genetics. Family history of hypothyroidism, and many of the females in my family are short but broad across the shoulders (i'm 18" from shoulder tip to shoulder tip). I know I'll never really have the "long and lean" look since my ribcage is a little disporportionate to my height, but that won't stop me from getting healthy. I may be at a disadvantage, but that doesn't give me license to give up :-)
  • monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member

fartingmug4.jpg

Uh, thanks for the happy unicorn I guess? :/ That's not what I was saying, that telling her spot reducing can't happen. It's telling her that she's making up excuses and being entirely rude about it, as to not be allowed to ***** about something you don't like about yourself, and seeking others who may feel the same way or also feel the same frustrations. I mean, how hard is that to interpret? There are some really rude comments in here, and if you're going to deny that then that's okay, but denial can only go so far.
  • deksgrl
    Cue the "I put something out there on the internet and got all kinds of responses that I didn't appreciate" music, and we'll see everyone over on the next "mean people" thread.