Does anyone else have crap genetics?

Replies

• monstergirl14
    monstergirl14 Posts: 345 Member
    Cue the "I put something out there on the internet and got all kinds of responses that I didn't appreciate" music, and we'll see everyone over on the next "mean people" thread.

Yeah, you're right. I mean, how hard is it to be a decent human being and not just treat everyone as if they have nerves of steel? I mean, everyone can take everything with a grain of salt, everyone appreciates being judged and belittled for asking questions, seeking help, or finding people with the same problems as them. Not everyone expects an onslaught of people to show up with their pitchforks and end with "Deal with it, it's the internet, I have permission to be a complete turd because I can't physically see the emotion on your face and couldn't handle it in real life myself."

k.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Nope. I have human genetics. If I had crap genetics I wouldn't be multicellular or able to type this. (And would probably be smelly.)

Have they sequenced the crap genome yet?

crap has no genome because it's not an organism (although the food eaten by the organism which produced the crap that is the topic of this discussion did have a genome...)

but :drinker: @ your post because it's great
    I know, I was being fecetious.

(Rim shot.)

(Another one for the second bad pun.)
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Cue the "I put something out there on the internet and got all kinds of responses that I didn't appreciate" music, and we'll see everyone over on the next "mean people" thread.

Yeah, you're right. I mean, how hard is it to be a decent human being and not just treat everyone as if they have nerves of steel? I mean, everyone can take everything with a grain of salt, everyone appreciates being judged and belittled for asking questions, seeking help, or finding people with the same problems as them. Not everyone expects an onslaught of people to show up with their pitchforks and end with "Deal with it, it's the internet, I have permission to be a complete turd because I can't physically see the emotion on your face and couldn't handle it in real life myself."

k.

Um... first you say that we don't have reading comprehension.
    But WE are the rude ones.

This OP that you are so defending is complaining about her "crap genetics" when in reality, she doesn't have "crap genetics", just a bad body image.

And frankly, *I* (among others) am offended that she would consider not being able to spot reduce as having "crap genetics" when so many of us have ACTUAL "crap genetics".

And I think that YOU are the mean one for being supportive of that.

So... enjoy your unicorn ride.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Yep...hate my genetics
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Genetics ABSOLUTELY play a role in how you look - everyone who says they don't, a question for you... don't you know ANYONE who eats like crap, doesn't work out a second in their life, and stays skinnier/looks to be in better shape than you? Because I definitely know people who got a better deal, genetically, than me! No matter how much I watch what I eat, excercise or wish... I will never be taller than 5'3"... I will never have a longer torso, and a smaller ribcage... I will never have thick, wavy, beautiful hair. It doesn't mean I'm not good with who I am, it's just reality. Everyone can only try to be THEIR best... but sometimes it is frustrating when you look at those who have been genetically blessed. It just is.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Genetics ABSOLUTELY play a role in how you look - everyone who says they don't, a question for you... don't you know ANYONE who eats like crap, doesn't work out a second in their life, and stays skinnier/looks to be in better shape than you? Because I definitely know people who got a better deal, genetically, than me! No matter how much I watch what I eat, excercise or wish... I will never be taller than 5'3"... I will never have a longer torso, and a smaller ribcage... I will never have thick, wavy, beautiful hair. It doesn't mean I'm not good with who I am, it's just reality. Everyone can only try to be THEIR best... but sometimes it is frustrating when you look at those who have been genetically blessed. It just is.

Most of those people you mention in the bolded section have very active jobs, move more than you would estimate or eat less than you would estimate.
  • monstergirl14

k.

This OP that you are so defending is complaining about her "crap genetics" when in reality, she doesn't have "crap genetics", just a bad body image.

And frankly, *I* (among others) am offended that she would consider not being able to spot reduce as having "crap genetics" when so many of us have ACTUAL "crap genetics".

Perhaps I said things in the heat of the moment (reading comprehension) but that is weak in comparison to the many comments made towards OP in general. Whether it be her logic, her exercise habits, her eating habits, whatever, that have all been gathered from a single post. I'm hardly mean for being supportive of OP, I suffer from anxiety and one of my triggers is my weight and how my body looks. It's almost crippling to face it every day, and I feel sad that there are people out there who feel like me, or are becoming that person. Showing empathy to someone because they feel ****ty about their body, even though they work out, is not being a bad person. Kicking someone when they're down is a bad person. Comparing your life situations to theirs, having not known them at all, is being a bad person. Sure, some people actually have genetic issues, but to tell someone that they feel less than you is terrible. There is always something that is going on in someones life, and saying that their feelings/thoughts aren't validated because you have it worse, is bad.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member

k.

For one, I don't think anyone was purposely being a turd. They were offering THEIR perspective. I have had this same "genetics" conversation with someone in real life who dreams of fitting into size 8 pants, however her hip bones are just too wide. It is never going to happen. She dieted down to a healthy weight and body fat %, but she will never fit in a size 8, she is a size 10. I pointed out reality to her too, accept it, you can't change it, just because you are not a size 8 doesn't mean that you are not thin, healthy, beautiful, valued.

The OP's subject title of the thread says "does anyone else have crap genetics?" And many people came in this thread, having real genetic health problems, and saw the whole thing was complaining about her body type. Could it possibly be that some of these people felt a little offended, that this thread makes light of their situation, that it was a little rude? I'm sure the OP didn't mean to come off that way. But there it is. The most helpful thing people could do was to point out reality.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member

Most of those people you mention in the bolded section have very active jobs, move more than you would estimate or eat less than you would estimate.

"some" not most....My best friend is thin as a rail and is the laziest person I know!!! Doesn't work - nor does she cook or clean. I call her Princess!! She has been a size 0 since middle school - had two kids and is still thin as a rail. Genetics - her Mother, her twin and a quarter of her family are the same....

Disagree all you want however genetics DO sometimes play a role in this. I have twin girls myself - one takes after my family to the max right down to looks the other either a mix or solely her Dads - SOLID as a rock since birth. Again genetics! Doesn't mean she will always be over weight & thick looking- just means she has to work a lot harder than her sister.
  • atcross
    atcross Posts: 26 Member

k.

Perhaps I said things in the heat of the moment (reading comprehension) but that is weak in comparison to the many comments made towards OP in general. Whether it be her logic, her exercise habits, her eating habits, whatever, that have all been gathered from a single post. I'm hardly mean for being supportive of OP, I suffer from anxiety and one of my triggers is my weight and how my body looks. It's almost crippling to face it every day, and I feel sad that there are people out there who feel like me, or are becoming that person. Showing empathy to someone because they feel ****ty about their body, even though they work out, is not being a bad person. Kicking someone when they're down is a bad person. Comparing your life situations to theirs, having not known them at all, is being a bad person. Sure, some people actually have genetic issues, but to tell someone that they feel less than you is terrible. There is always something that is going on in someones life, and saying that their feelings/thoughts aren't validated because you have it worse, is bad.

Monstergirl may be the most sensible person on MFP. OP posted on the motivation & support board because she wanted to vent her frustration and see if anyone else was feeling the same way. She did not post on a Genetic Disorders message board because she is not trying to say she has a diagnosable genetic-related medical condition. Forums cannot work as they are intended if the people who need/want to use them must be in fear of getting flamed by overly-sensitive internet trolls.
  • monstergirl14

k.

For one, I don't think anyone was purposely being a turd. They were offering THEIR perspective. I have had this same "genetics" conversation with someone in real life who dreams of fitting into size 8 pants, however her hip bones are just too wide. It is never going to happen. She dieted down to a healthy weight and body fat %, but she will never fit in a size 8, she is a size 10. I pointed out reality to her too, accept it, you can't change it, just because you are not a size 8 doesn't mean that you are not thin, healthy, beautiful, valued.

The OP's subject title of the thread says "does anyone else have crap genetics?" And many people came in this thread, having real genetic health problems, and saw the whole thing was complaining about her body type. Could it possibly be that some of these people felt a little offended, that this thread makes light of their situation, that it was a little rude? I'm sure the OP didn't mean to come off that way. But there it is. The most helpful thing people could do was to point out reality.

Okay, I see what you're saying, but it still is uncalled for to be rude and dismissive. I think it would be normal to assume that on a weight loss board, that anything genetic-related would be about weight loss. However, not having a huge genetic issue, maybe it's different with different people. But in reality, she explained what she meant, she meant no offense, yet people are still on defense and being very degrading. That's what I'm saying.
  • deksgrl

k.

Monstergirl may be the most sensible person on MFP. OP posted on the motivation & support board because she wanted to vent her frustration and see if anyone else was feeling the same way. She did not post on a Genetic Disorders message board because she is not trying to say she has a diagnosable genetic-related medical condition. Forums cannot work as they are intended if the people who need/want to use them must be in fear of getting flamed by overly-sensitive internet trolls.

And it is wrong for people to try to support her by encouraging her to find things she LIKES about her body and to stop focusing on the things she does not like, because it is pointless and it is not something she can change??
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Genetics do play a part in how we all look, gain or lose weight, and the shape of our bodies. But ultimately, shouldn't it be about learning to love our bodies for what they are? Judging yourself based solely on perceived imperfections is leading you to dislike yourself for the wrong reasons, and making you unhappy. When the work is done, and what can be achieved has been achieved, shouldn't we be able to relax and love what we see in the mirror? OP needs to realize that. Not everyone can have Angelina Jolie's lips, or a supermodel's figure. There's so much more to what makes a person attractive than just body shape, or breast size, or musculature. If you're fit and healthy, learn to be confident, happy person. Be kind to other people. Love the people in your family and your friends unconditionally. Forgive people for making mistakes.

Those types of things will make you happy.
  • swissbrit
    swissbrit Posts: 201
    I have crap genetics not as bad as some as I just have 2 subclasses of my immune system that dont work and there are lots of other people with worse problems so all I can say is be grateful that if you move more your fat loss will even itself out.
  • monstergirl14

k.

And it is wrong for people to try to support her by encouraging her to find things she LIKES about her body and to stop focusing on the things she does not like, because it is pointless and it is not something she can change??

No, absolutely not! The biggest part of it all is to learn to love yourself, but I do encourage you to skim through the board and look harder at some of the comments that have been made. I would not have appreciated it myself.. but I've already made that clear haha. It's THOSE comments that I'm targeting, not those who have expressed real encouragement and a helping hand.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member

k.

Overly-sensitive troll? For pointing out what genetics are actually capable of that's actually debilitating? You can lose weight, gain muscle, and get therapy: all of these things can either help change your body or change your perspective.

Yeah. What you call overly-sensitive, I call offering a perspective of reality. But, hey, by all means. Boohoo about it. It certainly solves the problem.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Genetics do play a part in how we all look, gain or lose weight, and the shape of our bodies. But ultimately, shouldn't it be about learning to love our bodies for what they are? Judging yourself based solely on perceived imperfections is leading you to dislike yourself for the wrong reasons, and making you unhappy. When the work is done, and what can be achieved has been achieved, shouldn't we be able to relax and love what we see in the mirror? OP needs to realize that.

that's pretty much what most of us have been trying to say throughout the thread... things like how your body stores fat, how wide your shoulders are, etc, is not "crap genetics" - it's genetics but there's nothing crap about it! everyone has things they don't like about their bodies, that's normal, but in most cases these issues are blown out of proportion to the point that someone sees their totally normal body as being abnormal and them having "crap genetics" when that's not the case at all

on this thread at least two people with a similar body type to me (wide shoulders, big rib cage) posted saying they have bad genetics and gave this as examples............ it's not bad genetics, because what's so bad about big ribs and big shoulders? I have these things and I see them as something good, because larger bones= larger muscles = stronger. It's so sad that fit, healthy people see their natural, healthy body type as "bad genetics" Also I find it depressing when people with the same body type as me say that it's "bad genetics" or act like there's something bad or wrong about my body type... I know they're not saying it about me, they're saying it about themselves but I have the same things they have that they think are bad in themselves......... that's not a nice message to be receiving. I'm starting to wonder if I'm the only woman with this body type who actually likes it. If that's true then I find it really sad.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    I'll chime in for all of you genetic "non-believers". I've been a police officer for the past 6 years in a large metropolitan city on the east coast. During my time on patrol I've met some MONSTERS. Guys who smoke weed day in/day out, eat cheetos and drink "grape drink", latent with HFC and other crap, eat fried foods/mac and cheese, greasy potato wedges from the corner store. These guys have no jobs, have a sedentary life style with the only physical activity being either playing basketball, shooting dice or occasionally running from the police yet they are chiseled to the bone and look like they lift heavy every day and have a clean, squared away diet. Hell I've met a few crack addicts with pretty impressive physiques, granted these are far a few between but I've seen it.

This is just ONE example
  • atcross
    atcross Posts: 26 Member

k.

I actually didn't address the kind and encouraging things some posters said to the OP. I did not say I disapproved of that.
  • deksgrl

k.

No, absolutely not! The biggest part of it all is to learn to love yourself, but I do encourage you to skim through the board and look harder at some of the comments that have been made. I would not have appreciated it myself.. but I've already made that clear haha. It's THOSE comments that I'm targeting, not those who have expressed real encouragement and a helping hand.

The comments YOU deem rude.

Work harder - May or may not apply in this case

She states she is not overweight, so one would assume she has been working. She needs to work on accepting those things she can't change. She certainly needs to work on her body image.

Excuse - May or may not apply in this case

I saw one person saying that she did indeed use poor genetics as an excuse, she helpfully offered her experience and perspective. Other people also said they thought it was an excuse but said it in a different way, this doesn't mean that their opinion is not valid, and this doesn't mean they were trying to be rude, mean or judgmental. They all have their own personal experiences to draw on as well, even if they didn't elaborate on them.

I'm really not trying to be rude here. This is an emotional issue for many, but I believe the people who are more logical and factual can help those who are very emotional about it.