help... me...

Okay... so I have a question-- I need to figure out when to work out... not like weight lifting, but just strictly cardio...

I get up at 5:30 to get ready for work, I have to get my 6yr old son ready and off to before school and then drive 45 mins downtown to my job... I usually get to work around 8:00-8:15, I work at a DESK JOB... I sit a good majority of the day... I try to get up and walk around, but I have "one" of those bosses that's a little bit of a desk monitor... I get off work at 5 and home by 545... I have to help my son with his homework and... I'm taking 3 classes so I can graduate with my AA in May... so I have a ton of homework... by the time I get done with that and pack lunches, it's bedtime... like 9, which may not be late for some of you... but I also suffer from a form of anemia and some days its a struggle to move... especially by the end of the week...like today, I'm ready for a nap.

I do have a husband... but he suffers from ADD and can NOT do more than one thing at a time, he also suffers from Lazy Butt syndrome and can't seem to help on a consistent basis with our kids...

I need some MOTIVATION... Friends.. and someone with a cattle prod to get me moving!!

Please if you have any suggestions, besides getting up earlier to walk... give them to me...

thanks!

Replies

• tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Stick to your calorie goal, weighing food and measuring liquids, and worry about exercise when you have a less hectic schedule. You don't have to exercise to lose weight.
  • I use an under-desk mini-bike at work for 60-120 minutes a day. When I'm not using that, I'm sitting (read: bouncing, rolling and otherwise fidgeting) on my exercise ball. At home, I wear ankle and wrist weights while doing housework. I also park a half mile away from the office and walk. I stopped using the elevator at work, too. They're all little things, but they add up. You just have to find this places in your life where you can make your body work a little harder than usual.

I also just started running and using the gym at work. I didn't like to hear it either, but I'm getting my *kitten* out of bed earlier and going to the gym. Now that I'm not breastfeeding, it's much easier to do and, actually, is some nice "me" time first thing in the morning.

Good luck!
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Stick to your calorie goal, weighing food and measuring liquids, and worry about exercise when you have a less hectic schedule. You don't have to exercise to lose weight.
    This works to some extent - but it sounds like your husband is lazy craphead. If he's not willing to help, you need to do it for yourself.

Make time, and do a quick workout once you're done everything.
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    I'm assuming you have a lunch break? Maybe 30 mins? I would say pack something that is really easy to eat for lunch and try to eat it before your actually lunch break and then use that half hour lunch break to get some exercise. Also see if you can fit in some core work either right when you wake up or right before bed. See if you can in a balance ball to replace your desk chair so your core will be working while you sit. Pre cook dinners for 3 nights a week so you can use that time to get a quick workout in. I know it's far from easy but with a little planning I know you can do it! Add me and I will try to keep you motivated!! Good luck!

Also totally agree with the person above me...weigh your food. It has changed everything for me!!!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    How long is your lunch break?

I have essentially a similar schedule with no school.

I used to have a 30 minute lunch break. I would walk a mile on it.

Then I realized in 30 minutes I could almost break 2 miles.

So then I walked 2 miles on it.

I lost a lot of weight that way.

If you have a smart phone I recommend the free App Endomondo. It tells you how far you walked.
  • tegalicious
    This works to some extent - but it sounds like your husband is lazy craphead. If he's not willing to help, you need to do it for yourself.

Make time, and do a quick workout once you're done everything.

She just seemed so overwhelmed with her current schedule and then mentioned anemia issues. So I was trying to keep it simple. But perhaps I wasn't the most helpful...

If you have a 60 minute lunch break maybe you could do some walking then? Maybe you could do some jumping jacks in the bathroom when you get up to use it? Maybe you could find some active games to play with your child on the weekends? They have those active video games! Or maybe some soccor outside?
  • ncscott11
    ncscott11 Posts: 100 Member
    I second the premade dinners and the ankle weights! I try to put on my ankle weights and pedometer as soon as I get home and stay on my feet if I can. Also, as much as it may sound silly, do little things like squats and lunges while cooking or homework. The little things add up!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    I can honestly say I lost so much weight on just better diet and lunch walking that others in my office noticed, commented, and started their own little walking cliques!
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    I would say just squeeze it in when you can. Lunch breaks and what about weekends? Get some long sessions in then. Soon you will be done with school and that will free up some time...good luck!
  • claudie08
    claudie08 Posts: 159 Member
    Get a tracking device. With all that you do throughout the day, you are exerting calories and it's good to have a device that tracks your steps, miles and calories burned, syncs to MFP and adjusts your calories based on your daily activity. I use a FitBit ZIP but there are others you can use. I love it, especially on the weekends when I'm running around and not able to workout.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Try to incorporate small things into your evening routine like some jumping jacks, squats, sit ups, push ups, jogging in place for 15 minutes- just something you can do easily in your home. Or go buy a workout dvd with different routines. Most of them are only 30 minutes and you could easily do that first thing in the morning (although I know the struggles of getting up early) or after you finish everything for the evening. Good luck!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Do you have a video game console? If so, get a Just Dance game and play with your son each night. You can get a good workout dancing and 'playing' for 30 minutes.
  • Thank you everyone! I'm going to try and get at least 30 mins in before we even start homework... maybe once I get that started it will be easier!!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I'd aim for one (or 2) lunchtimes, get ONE hour in the evening ONE night from your husband, and 1-2 sessions at the weekend.
  • tegalicious
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to try and get at least 30 mins in before we even start homework... maybe once I get that started it will be easier!!

You can do this!! Oh! I just thought of an idea! Maybe you could give some incentive to your child and get in a workout! Something like for every page of homework he does, mommy has to do five jumping jacks or one push up or one chair dip! He could choose when he completes a page and then you could do it before going to the next page of homework!
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Do your exercise in 10 to 15 minutes spurts throughout the day. Brisk walking adds up, and they say that 3 10 minute bursts is actually better for you than a 30 minute session. i don't know why they say that, but they do. "they" meaning whatever magazine I read it out of, so it may not be scientifically correct.
  • bethanycopley1980
    bethanycopley1980 Posts: 75 Member
    OH! And the card game! Take a deck of cards and make a specific exercise for each suit. When you pull a card, the denomination of that card is how many you have to do. Its fun to do with kids.
  • bumbx
    bumbx Posts: 6
    Katherine, I feel for you :( it's hard finding time to do things when you are SO BUSY! I truly hope you find something that works for you and stick to it. Your husband def needs to lend you a hand.. I agree with Bethanycoply, I think you can do little bursts of exercises throughout the day and Bethany you have just given me a whole lot of ideas! I work on the 6th floor so I should walk down and up the stairs a couple of times a day! Ty!
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    lunchtime walking, parking 10 or 15 min. away from the job if it's possible, walking the stairs at the office. I don't know much about ADD but maybe husband can watch your son for just a half hour in the evenings - you can take a quick jog or brisk walk. If you add all these little pieces together you'll be working out an hour a day. I remember how hard it was to carve out time for exercise when my babies were little. After a long day working, helping with homework, making dinner, etc., the last thing I wanted to do was exercise! But you can do it!

Here's another idea, a bicycle. You can take a quick 15 minute spin around the neighborhood whenever you get a break.
  • mombie2six
    mombie2six Posts: 157 Member
    Awesome suggestions, everyone. I am in the same boat with lack of time for exercise. I have 6 kids and I work part time from home, so there really is VERY little free time. Once everyone is in bed, I just want to collapse and watch netflix or something.

I did just buy an elliptical and I've been carving out 20 minutes each day, letting the kids watch TV or play a video game, and I just run on that thing for 20 minutes straight. It may not be much, but it's something! :)