About those cheat days...

Rosen-I was reading your post. You are definitely an inspiration to stick it out... Thanks for giving me the motivation I needed this evening.

I have a question.

I planned to have a cheat day when I reached my first mini goal. Mcdonalds for breakfast, sonic for lunch and pizza for dinner. But does that mean I'll ruin my work for a week?

What did you guys do when you reached some milestone?

I miss those foods. And I've been really good about working out in the evening in order to be sure I was on track by the end of the day. But I might need to rethink my milestone celebration if the calories I consume on one day outnumbers the allowance by a huge amount.

Mcdonalds- about 1000 cal
Sonic- about 1000 cal
Pizza - about 300 cal per slice (1200 cals at least)
Going for a grand total of 2300 to 3500 plus snacks

(Maybe I'll have the pizza for lunch and snack on that- so 3500 cals for the day)

Will this ruin me for the week?

Replies

• firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Rosen-I was reading your post. You are definitely an inspiration to stick it out... Thanks for giving me the motivation I needed this evening.

I have a question.

I planned to have a cheat day when I reached my first mini goal. Mcdonalds for breakfast, sonic for lunch and pizza for dinner. But does that mean I'll ruin my work for a week?

I miss those foods. And I've been really good about working out in the evening in order to be sure I was on track by the end of the day. But I might need to rethink my milestone celebration if the calories I consume on one day outnumbers the allowance by a huge amount.

Sonic- about 1000 cal

(Maybe I'll have the pizza for lunch and snack on that- so 3500 cals for the day)

• Hello! I know your question wasn't directed towards me, but I have a cheat meal/day once a week and thought I could be of some help! On cheat days to try and minimize damage, I ALWAYS make it a priority to excercise that day and the day after (too burn off allll those unnecessary carbs and such from the day before). I always try to aim to burn around 1000 calories from exercise on cheat days. Also, the scale will probably go up the next 2ish days and it is (in my experience) from water weight because it comes right off over the next few days. With that being said, enjoy your cheat day and if you think its having opposite results on your diet..then try cutting back to just a cheat meal. I often have one cheat meal a week rather than a cheat day. I have been trying to fit portioned treats into my everyday eating to get rid of my need for a cheat day all together, but I just don't have that kind of control like some do on this site hahaha maybe one day :bigsmile:
  • SarahN83
    SarahN83 Posts: 18
    You probably shouldn't go for that many calories. I have heard that normally a cheat day is anywhere between 1 1/2 times - 2 times your normal daily intake.

If you are worried about it ruining your week, maybe you could try eating some healthier foods that have more-than-usual calories. Remember, it's not so much a numbers game as it is a healthier life style that we are trying to maintain.

Some things to eat for more calories could include (but are certainly not limited to): Waffles and syrup with real butter, with a 8 oz. glass of orange juice or milk, and a banana or yogurt for breakfast; for lunch you could try a ham and american cheese sandwich on a white bread kaiser roll, a serving of Nacho Doritos and one can of soda; and Spaghetti and Meatballs with Organic pasta sauce, and a slice or two of garlic bread for dinner with a serving (or two, depending on how much you want) of Instant Jell-O Chocolate Pudding.

Of course, you could add or subtract food items as needed - but this is a way that you could keep your portion sizes in check, so as not to throw off the week. :smile: I find the hardest part of a cheat day is usually the next day...because my stomach needs more (or so it seems) to feel full.

Sorry for the long reply - hope it helps!! :wink: (and whatever you do...don't go for McDonalds if you don't have to!! It's loaded with other bad stuff other than calories - as I'm sure you know! :tongue: )
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    I think anhnguyen06 has an excellent suggestions.

I don't have "off limits" foods. This is good and bad somedays. Since nothing is "bad" i can eat whatever I want, but then I also am giving myself permission to eat it too. Helps so I don't have a negative relationship with food.

I've heard reports that you shouldn't reward yourself with food for weight loss. The studies mentioned that it was counter productive and making food more of a treat then a neccesity....

Does that make sense?
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    I personally wouldn't go for that many calories on a cheat day...I don't intentionally plan cheat days at all because I am learning that food is not a reward. I am using non-food rewards for myself. When I lost 5 pounds I invested in a new pair of walking sneakers; when I get to my goal weight and maintain it for a year I am letting myself buy the new to me used car that I've been wanting so badly but couldn't justify buying...using food as anything other than sustenance for my body got me into this situation...so I don't want to allow myself to go "hog wild" for a whole day...because I know my lack of self control is what got me into this mess to begin with...so I don't want to get into that pattern again...

And on this plan, I can have whatever I want...in fact I have had all three of the foods that you've mentioned since being on this plan...I just always plan the foods into my calories. When I went to McDonalds, I got the sugar free vanilla iced coffee and an egg mcmuffin for 420 calories (rather than a sweet tea with two breakfast burritos and hashbrowns that would have been at least double that!)...at Sonic I get the grilled chicken sandwich and a salad, with the light minute maid iced tea to drink...and at a pizza place I usually get a tossed salad and have one piece of pizza with it...you can make any fast food place "eatable" while still staying in your plan...hope this helps!
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    I don't think one should reward when they hit a goal with food. To me that means you're just dieting and not having a lifestyle change. Personally, I have hit 35 pounds and I am going to a spa.

Cheat days I would never do all day, just one meal. I plan on having pizza for my birthday, but I will be perfect the rest of the day, so hopefully I won't go over too badly for that day.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Why wait? I mean, don't go all crazy, but have one of those meals from one of those high cal restaurants each week. Eat a small healthy breakfast and lunch, then splurge those calories remaining on dinner from McDonald's, you know?

If I deny myself food, I risk binging on it. That is how I am.

But I'm trying to rework my training on "rewarding" myself with food. It's not good but it's the way society is. You got a promotion? Let's go to dinner. It's your birthday, let's go to dinner. It's your birthday, let's have fattening foods and top it off with cake and ice cream! I'm slowly trying to work away from food as celebratory and rewarding. In doing so, I'm allowing myself these foods I want on occasion so I'm not hankerin' for them, if you know what I mean.

Good luck reaching your goal quickly!
  • ChubbyBunny
    I don't think one should reward when they hit a goal with food. To me that means you're just dieting and not having a lifestyle change. Personally, I have hit 35 pounds and I am going to a spa.

Cheat days I would never do all day, just one meal. I plan on having pizza for my birthday, but I will be perfect the rest of the day, so hopefully I won't go over too badly for that day.

Very nice advice.
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    I, too, do a cheat meal rather than a day. In fact a cheat for me might be pretty simple, but something I would not have every day such as a double short soy mocha. Ummmm.

I also do non food rewards. When I got straight A's in college (when I went back 12 years after high school) I got the tattoo I wanted for years. I like the idea of a car, though. Sign me up.
  • ChubbyBunny
    Why wait? I mean, don't go all crazy, but have one of those meals from one of those high cal restaurants each week. Eat a small healthy breakfast and lunch, then splurge those calories remaining on dinner from McDonald's, you know?

If I deny myself food, I risk binging on it. That is how I am.

But I'm trying to rework my training on "rewarding" myself with food. It's not good but it's the way society is. You got a promotion? Let's go to dinner. It's your birthday, let's go to dinner. It's your birthday, let's have fattening foods and top it off with cake and ice cream! I'm slowly trying to work away from food as celebratory and rewarding. In doing so, I'm allowing myself these foods I want on occasion so I'm not hankerin' for them, if you know what I mean.

Good luck reaching your goal quickly!

Awesome point
  • natalie1
    natalie1 Posts: 180 Member

I have a question.

Sonic- about 1000 cal

Yo have here menu for 3 cheat days a week apart. When I allow myself piece of dark chocolate- I feel guilty... I would enjoy what you love on one meal a day once a week
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Thank you all for the advice.

You guys make a good point about non-food rewards. The only negative side to this is my love affair of food. But you guys all make good points about working this into my new good eating habits.

I think I'll wait on the pizza. My italian upbringing wasn't so good for my hips...

But I definitely need to learn how to get the other junk foods into my diet, so I'm not gorging myself come the milestones.

Thanks all for weighing in, and sharing everything you guys have learned.

Rae