"You're the fattest skinny girl I've ever met."

Just thought I'd share my sister's remark to me at my birthday party yesterday. I'm not exactly sure how she wanted be to take that. I laughed it off in her presence. It was a response to me showing her my empty plastic containers of Talenti. Her and my mother had gotten me two pints for my birthday, so I got excited and wanted to share that I actually saved the containers. I had told my mother I was excited to try the pistachio one they'd gotten me. On their way out, my mother insisted I eat some. I thought it was odd, we'd had brownies in celebration, so I had intended on saving the gelato for an evening snack. To appease her, I got it out. She snickered at me as I did so and said, "Look at her cracking it open". My sister and grandmother watched intently. I kind of felt on display. I had no idea gelato eating was a spectator's sport. I tried a few bites. It was very good. I said so and offered my family a bite. They all refused and continued to gawk. My grandmother goes, "Oh wow, I didn't know you ate ice cream. I figured with how small you were, you couldn't." I told her I eat ice cream almost every day. It was probably pretty close to tops on the awkward scale.

Anyone else get stupid remarks for eating like a normal person? Lol

Replies

• redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Seriously? Creep 101. Seriously though?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    If I ever eat a cheeseburger they all assume I've given up!

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member

Ya. Was totally like, "And here you see the wild weightlifter girl in her natural habitat. Eating Talenti gelato straight out of the container. Fascinating. "
  • Yes. Apparently bread or anything with a bit of fat in it is "bad".. etc..etc..:yawn: WELL, WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP ME FROM EATING A WHOLE 12" PIZZA, PACKS OF CHOCOLATE AND THE REST, WHEN I WAS 61LBS OVERWEIGHT!!???? :grumble:
  • calajane
    calajane Posts: 52
    I... wow. I have no words. I have no idea how I would handle the situation if my own family decided to pull something like that.

The only thing that comes to my mind to explain it (though I agree with the person above that it was pretty creepy) was if they, for some reason, thought you had an eating disorder or something (???)

I don't even... so weird.
  • SugaryLynx
    If I ever eat a cheeseburger they all assume I've given up!

I.C.E. Cream Official Tester
    IKEA Professional Put Together-er
    Kickboxing Class Attender
    Been in fitness for about 2 years and have studied kitty-gif-ology, nutrition and Dinosaurs

Didn't you know that goes straight to you're deficit? No way 'round it
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    They sound jealous to me
  • SugaryLynx
    Yes. Apparently bread or anything with a bit of fat in it is "bad".. etc..etc..:yawn: WELL, WHY DIDN'T YOU STOP ME FROM EATING A WHOLE 12" PIZZA, PACKS OF CHOCOLATE AND THE REST, WHEN I WAS 61LBS OVERWEIGHT!!???? :grumble:

My family would have probably applauded and joined in. They're very good at encouraging it as long as you fit their standards. I never got batted an eye at when i was overwrought and ate things like that. Maybe they think I have a secret eating technique? xD
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    When I was first starting out, I'd get comments from both Hubs and Mom along the lines of "are you allowed to eat THAT on your diet" and I calmly explained that I'm not on a diet and I can eat whatever I damn well please. Thankfully with time they figured out I knew what I was talking about since they saw me eating this way and still losing weight.

Hubs is slowly learning what it means to eat healthy but still has a long way to go. He questions me about eating peanut butter but never questions when I'm stuffing my face with wings and pizza. SMH
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member

Ya. Was totally like, "And here you see the wild weightlifter girl in her natural habitat. Eating Talenti gelato straight out of the container. Fascinating. "

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Man this is great lol....too funny.

Seriously though, good for you having a good sense of humor about it. I probably would have flipped out. Def a weird situation. Sometimes I wonder about people...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Yeah, I kind of had to put a coworker in his place. Every time he would see me eating anything, he would lecture me. I had already lost over 70 lbs at this point. I finally just told him that I eat what I want in moderation, and that I eat sweets almost daily. He doesn't bother me about it anymore.
  • SugaryLynx
    I... wow. I have no words. I have no idea how I would handle the situation if my own family decided to pull something like that.

The only thing that comes to my mind to explain it (though I agree with the person above that it was pretty creepy) was if they, for some reason, thought you had an eating disorder or something (???)

I don't even... so weird.

Good, then I'm not overreacting for thinking that whole thing was just bizarre. My mom would probably be mean enough to suggest something so awful as to think I had an ED, tbh. She's said worse in other situations. In the least, the family get together only happen every few times a year like that. :/
  • SugaryLynx
    They sound jealous to me

I had wondered about this as well. My sister prior had watched me stand up from the couch and cried out, "What size jeans do you wear now because I hate you." I told her it didn't matter.
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    I experience this all the time ... when you say 'no thank you' to the junk food consistently they badger you about 'not living' and then when you are having a day where you are a little more flexible with your eating habits its like you are some strange creature. Either that, or like someone else mentioned, you must have given up and fallen right off the wagon.

I would like to reverse it on people sometimes and watch what they eat and comment on it ... " You shouldnt have dessert, its going to go straight to your *kitten* ... or ... you should probably go for the salad next time ... or ... do you know what is in that?" Just to see how they feel to be watched and constantly judged for what they are eating!

Good call out!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I'm still chubby and all, but I do get comments like that. My boss thinks my husband and I are weird because we eat salad, quinoa, vegetables, and then go out for ice cream or have a piece of Easter candy. She's only known 2 types of people - those who eat "100% raw/clean/healthy food" and those who eat whatever they want like pizza, burgers, chocolate, cookies, and no vegetables unless it's a piece of black olive on their pizza by mistake.

I just laugh.
  • SugaryLynx
    When I was first starting out, I'd get comments from both Hubs and Mom along the lines of "are you allowed to eat THAT on your diet" and I calmly explained that I'm not on a diet and I can eat whatever I damn well please. Thankfully with time they figured out I knew what I was talking about since they saw me eating this way and still losing weight.

Hubs is slowly learning what it means to eat healthy but still has a long way to go. He questions me about eating peanut butter but never questions when I'm stuffing my face with wings and pizza. SMH

Definitely! There's this huge misconception that in order to lose weight or be healthy it means cutting out any and all fun foods. Same thing happened with my husband too. Except, since he lives with me now he's nagging me about our grocery bill because I'm trying to bulk :laugh:
  • silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    there was a point at work where if i ate a biscuit, i'd get the snidey 'oh, does that fit in your calories then?' and 'i thought you were on a diet'
    after a few times saying yes they gave up.

totally agree with all the previous posts too - assuming you've given up, DEFINITELY!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    My Fiancee is like that too, he is a good guy and he tries but he totally does not understand the difference between watching my calories and eating the least amount I could possibly eat (and he is not very nutrition savy either, he told me the other week there is not way salmon has protein in it because its not a meat since you can eat it for lent....ummmmm, sure babe). The other day I had alot of extra calories from my run so when we went out to dinner I got a hamburger and he just could not figure out how that possibly fit into my goal for the day. If they have never really done the research or made an attempt to track calories then it is kinda a confusing world (you know lacking the whole this specific food is evil type rules). I just say "thanks for thinking of me but I know what I am doing".
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    I get this a lot. Whenever my coworkers see me eating cookies or pizza they act like they caught me doing something naughty. "But I thought you were on a diet!" Um, not really. "But you eat healthy all the time!" Yes, so I can have pizza and cookies...

My (now ex) boyfriend used to tell me I eat like a fat kid and give me "the look" when I would show up with my McDonalds salad and McFlurry that fit perfectly into my macros. Then he would jiggle my (steadily shrinking) tummy. I "hated* that.
  • SugaryLynx
    I experience this all the time ... when you say 'no thank you' to the junk food consistently they badger you about 'not living' and then when youre having a day where you are a little more fIexible with your eating habits its like you are some strange creature. Either that, or like someone else mentioned, you must have given up and fallen right off the wagon.

I would like to reverse it on people sometimes and watch what they eat and comment on it ... " You shouldnt have dessert, its going to go straight to your *kitten* ... or ... you should probably go for the salad next time ... or ... do you know what is in that?" Just to see how they feel to be watched and constantly judged for what they are eating!

Good call out!

Lmao! Right? Either way you eat, they'll always have something to say. My sister in law had made the brownies and offered everyone to take some home. My mom goes, "Oh, we don't need those." I chimed in with, "I do!"