"You're the fattest skinny girl I've ever met."

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    regardless of what it its, people seem to be fascinated with what i'm eating
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Yes. At least one person in my family (not my immediate family) will comment on it every time I am at home for a visit. My grandmother, who has no filter between brain and mouth, constantly remarks on how much I eat (I eat nearly 90% of my calories at one meal). Others will remark on me eating sweets, like it's unheard of for a fit person to eat dessert. It's annoying mostly because I figure by this point, they should all realize I know what I am doing. But whatever. They're family, and I'm not going to argue with them about it. My eating habits don't require a defense anyway.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    I'm still chubby and all, but I do get comments like that. My boss thinks my husband and I are weird because we eat salad, quinoa, vegetables, and then go out for ice cream or have a piece of Easter candy. She's only known 2 types of people - those who eat "100% raw/clean/healthy food" and those who eat whatever they want like pizza, burgers, chocolate, cookies, and no vegetables unless it's a piece of black olive on their pizza by mistake.

I just laugh.

Nuh, you're gorgeous. I love your hair ;)

But ya, you mean you can do both? :o. *mind blown*
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    its amazing how much social things enter into your diet. i can remember not to long ago my boss offered me a piece of carrot cake, i happend to be restricting pretty strongly at the time and i refused.

Later found out that she had made the cake.

Instantly regretted my refusal lol
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member

My (now ex) boyfriend used to tell me I eat like a fat kid and give me "the look" when I would show up with my McDonalds salad and McFlurry that fit perfectly into my macros. Then he would jiggle my (steadily shrinking) tummy. I "hated* that.

my ex husband STILL does that.. pokes my like the pillsbury dough boy. and wonders why i left him. tells me i have a j-lo booty. sigh.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Just keep on keeping on. Maintaining your loss, doing well, looking good - eating that gelato in front of them and not gaining weight - is the best revenge. I'm sorry your family is behaving that way!
  • SugaryLynx
    Yes. At least one person in my family (not my immediate family) will comment on it every time I am at home for a visit. My grandmother, who has no filter between brain and mouth, constantly remarks on how much I eat (I eat nearly 90% of my calories at one meal). Others will remark on me eating sweets, like it's unheard of for a fit person to eat dessert. It's annoying mostly because I figure by this point, they should all realize I know what I am doing. But whatever. They're family, and I'm not going to argue with them about it. My eating habits don't require a defense anyway.

Exactly. I totally agree. We know what we're doing. Just shrug and move on ;)
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    I usually get a lot of comments at work events while I am shoveling food in my mouth. Meh.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    I usually get a lot of comments at work events while I am shoveling food in my mouth. Meh.

I get comments at work when I don't eat hardly anything. And then my roommate and her boyfriend look horrified when I'm eating dinner and just keep eating and eating and eating.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Working at Talenti is my dream job.
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Seriously? Creep 101. Seriously though?

Ya. Was totally like, "And here you see the wild weightlifter girl in her natural habitat. Eating Talenti gelato straight out of the container. Fascinating. "
    That... is just nothing short of glorious! LOL!!!
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    They've turned you being able to eat delicious food without getting fat into a spectator sport? Turnabout is fair play. Buy them salads (no dressing, of course) and eagerly watch as they pick unhappily at them and push their miserable lettuce around on the plate.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Just thought I'd share my sister's remark to me at my birthday party yesterday. I'm not exactly sure how she wanted be to take that. I laughed it off in her presence. It was a response to me showing her my empty plastic containers of Talenti. Her and my mother had gotten me two pints for my birthday, so I got excited and wanted to share that I actually saved the containers. I had told my mother I was excited to try the pistachio one they'd gotten me. On their way out, my mother insisted I eat some. I thought it was odd, we'd had brownies in celebration, so I had intended on saving the gelato for an evening snack. To appease her, I got it out. She snickered at me as I did so and said, "Look at her cracking it open". My sister and grandmother watched intently. I kind of felt on display. I had no idea gelato eating was a spectator's sport. I tried a few bites. It was very good. I said so and offered my family a bite. They all refused and continued to gawk. My grandmother goes, "Oh wow, I didn't know you ate ice cream. I figured with how small you were, you couldn't." I told her I eat ice cream almost every day. It was probably pretty close to tops on the awkward scale.

Anyone else get stupid remarks for eating like a normal person? Lol

Oh my! How incredibly rude of them. You handled it well but still they were completely out of line. To answer your question, yes I get comments occasionally usually from one particular person (not related). She just gets a stoney glare back as I change the subject :laugh:
  • JayMri
    JayMri Posts: 241 Member
    When I was first starting out, I'd get comments from both Hubs and Mom along the lines of "are you allowed to eat THAT on your diet" and I calmly explained that I'm not on a diet and I can eat whatever I damn well please. Thankfully with time they figured out I knew what I was talking about since they saw me eating this way and still losing weight.

Hubs is slowly learning what it means to eat healthy but still has a long way to go. He questions me about eating peanut butter but never questions when I'm stuffing my face with wings and pizza. SMH

I've had the same as above. Why is it so hard for people to understand that you aren't on a "diet"? That it's still okay to eat what I want in moderation. And it's not just once but numerous times from friends and family. Thankfully my husband is pretty supportive about it all and doesn't question or comment on what I eat.
  • SugaryLynx
    Working at Talenti is my dream job.

Yeeeees! That would be awesome! I don't think they'd approve of me swimming in it though o.O:
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    I don't get stupid remarks from family.........

but they still blame my "metabolism" for allowing me to eat like I sometimes do.

No. :noway: No. Actually, it's a lot of effing hard work. Please don't give the credit to some unicorn.
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    The wonder of peer pressure! Make it socially unacceptable to be slim at family gatherings and keep the whole family fat! Good for you for breaking the mold for your health and fitness!

I agree with the poster who said that maintaining whilst allowing yourself everything in moderation is the best way to subtly apply the appropriate response to that situation. I suspect they've all sat around at some point and decided that you are denying yourself the good things in life in the name of vanity in order to make themselves feel better about not addressing their own issues. If they can see that you are still enjoying the good things in life, and all that's happening is moderation for the sake of long term health and fitness, then they will either decide you're "lucky" as their next cop-out, or decide they can do something for themselves.
  • breeshabebe
    breeshabebe Posts: 580
    We are having a work weight loss competition that started in January and anytime our vendors would bring us cake or something I had a slice and everyone would get excited as though I was going to gain 5lbs eating it. Any water fluctuations that I've had on our weigh in days (which always happens once a month) they would blame on the fact that I "had that piece of cake."

Now, I am in 3rd place, just a few pounds behind 2nd/ 1st place. They all cut carbs and everything good in this life while eating really low calories, while my diet has been pretty easy. I will continue with weight loss way after the competition, where they will probably gain it back and have another competition next year.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Nice back, op.
  • katylil
    katylil Posts: 223 Member
    They sound jealous to me

I had wondered about this as well. My sister prior had watched me stand up from the couch and cried out, "What size jeans do you wear now because I hate you." I told her it didn't matter.

Jealousy. SUCH jealousy.