"You're the fattest skinny girl I've ever met."

Replies

• My family would have probably applauded and joined in. They're very good at encouraging it as long as you fit their standards.
    Ouch, burn! Yeah, this is pretty much my family. I prefer organic and tend to lean vegetarian (which in the deep-fried South means you might as well have been born with two heads!).

My mom has pretty much accepted my "weirdness" and will actually go out of her way to try to help me with my goals. I do occasionally overhear a conversation or two with other family members where she mentions my "calorie counting" in hushed tones as if it were the unpardonable sin. (Did I mention that she is obese and has heart problems!?)

My dad thinks it's a joke. He makes fun of it to my face as well as behind my back when he thinks I'm not hearing it. It's incredibly frustrating, but unlike him, I'm not living with diabetes and high blood pressure.

In the end, I just shake it off and move on. People tend to mock what they don't understand.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Just thought I'd share my sister's remark to me at my birthday party yesterday. I'm not exactly sure how she wanted be to take that. I laughed it off in her presence. It was a response to me showing her my empty plastic containers of Talenti. Her and my mother had gotten me two pints for my birthday, so I got excited and wanted to share that I actually saved the containers. I had told my mother I was excited to try the pistachio one they'd gotten me. On their way out, my mother insisted I eat some. I thought it was odd, we'd had brownies in celebration, so I had intended on saving the gelato for an evening snack. To appease her, I got it out. She snickered at me as I did so and said, "Look at her cracking it open". My sister and grandmother watched intently. I kind of felt on display. I had no idea gelato eating was a spectator's sport. I tried a few bites. It was very good. I said so and offered my family a bite. They all refused and continued to gawk. My grandmother goes, "Oh wow, I didn't know you ate ice cream. I figured with how small you were, you couldn't." I told her I eat ice cream almost every day. It was probably pretty close to tops on the awkward scale.

Anyone else get stupid remarks for eating like a normal person? Lol

No. That's totally wackadoodle. I hope you are able to see how funny it is, though. I'm sure your family pulls crazy stuff like this from time to time. Write it down and use it as the basis for a sitcom.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Just own it. One of my favourite sports is eating at a church potluck. The crowd faces are most excellent. :bigsmile:
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Nice back, op.

Thankies :P
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Yep, over the holidays, I had already planned on eating 2 pieces of pie. I already made it fit into my diary and had exercised to earn those calories, little to my family's knowledge. So, when they eyed the slices on my plate, they were like, "You are going to get right back fat like us." I just ignored them, but in my head I was like, I certainly wont because I know what I'm putting in my mouth and I have accounted for it already, can you say the same with what you are putting in your mouth so blindly, but trying to be the food police with me? LOL> Anyhow, they are still fat, and I'm still losing weight, so that is all that matters to me, in the end.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    When I was first starting out, I'd get comments from both Hubs and Mom along the lines of "are you allowed to eat THAT on your diet" and I calmly explained that I'm not on a diet and I can eat whatever I damn well please. Thankfully with time they figured out I knew what I was talking about since they saw me eating this way and still losing weight.

Hubs is slowly learning what it means to eat healthy but still has a long way to go. He questions me about eating peanut butter but never questions when I'm stuffing my face with wings and pizza. SMH

I've had the same as above. Why is it so hard for people to understand that you aren't on a "diet"? That it's still okay to eat what I want in moderation. And it's not just once but numerous times from friends and family. Thankfully my husband is pretty supportive about it all and doesn't question or comment on what I eat.

My husband suggested a watermelon diet and snarked about my "diet" dark chocolate.

One of my coworkers saw me eating mac & cheese. He was like, "a comfort food day?" I answered, "Nope. Takes a good 2000 calories to keep me healthy."

It takes about a year. Once you drop some real weight, keep it off and still eat cake whenever it's available, people slowly shut their mouths.

Of course, that's when you start getting the "metabolism" comments.

I roll my eyes because 2 years ago when I struggled only to get fatter, it was my "motivation" and "willpower." That's fine, all I have to do to put those judgements into perspective is to run my preschoolers through Costco.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    For several years I'd get comments that made me feel insecure. I was recovering from an ED, though, so I don't know if my story counts as much: I HAD been very restricting, so hearing my aunt or a cousin comment "Are you actually eating?" or "DID YOU EAT YET?" or the staring at my plate was... disconcerting.

Conversely, I'm now watched like a hawk by my in-laws to see if my "eating habits" are hinting at an unannounced pregnancy. Reach for an extra serving of salad? "Are you eating for two?!" Skip wine in favor of water. "Are you expecting?"

:grumble:
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I've had people make comments to me in the past about what I was eating and trying to see what would fit in my goal for the day. I haven't this second time around yet. (Then again it IS only the third day!) I'm just waiting until my roommates seem me weighing and measuring food and ask me what I am to!
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    You know the old saying: You can pick your nose, you can pick your seat but you can't pick your family! :happy:

fisvHkQ.png

Edited to add this: I can appreciate how weird you felt. I absolutely HATE having people watch me eat and I hate even more having them COMMENT on my food!!!
  • hennaj22
    hennaj22 Posts: 30 Member
    No. :noway: No. Actually, it's a lot of effing hard work. Please don't give the credit to some unicorn.

yup.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    You know the old saying: You can pick your nose, you can pick your seat but you can't pick your family! :happy:

fisvHkQ.png

Edited to add this: I can appreciate how weird you felt. I absolutely HATE having people watch me eat and I hate even more having them COMMENT on my food!!!

Totally agree!

I'm normally a picker at family events, as I'm kind of socially awkward, so it was super weird to be put on display like that.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Seriously? Creep 101. Seriously though?

Ya. Was totally like, "And here you see the wild weightlifter girl in her natural habitat. Eating Talenti gelato straight out of the container. Fascinating. "
    That... is just nothing short of glorious! LOL!!!

I agree, brilliant.
  • Amestris
    Amestris Posts: 152 Member
    Heaven forbid you actually practice moderation and eat the "forbidden" foods.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    One of my father's favorite sayings had something to do with: Better to shut the mouth and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt.

I find myself surrounded by fools.....often. LOL
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Ya. Was totally like, "And here you see the wild weightlifter girl in her natural habitat. Eating Talenti gelato straight out of the container. Fascinating. "

OMG Dying here!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    They sound jealous to me

That's exactly what I was thinking as well.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    They snickered and gawked as you ate? Effing weird.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member

You made my day!!! Like a circus monkey!!
    Lol my family does this all the time!! But I think its because they care and I dropped like nearly 20lbs (part from depression/part from wanting to be healthier) over about a 6 month span-which I consider a healthy time frame but I guess its just moms.

I think next time you should bring out the jar of peanut butter and a spoon! You'll keep 'em busy for hours :D
  • OneDimSim
    OneDimSim Posts: 188 Member

LOL...seriously.....!
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    People can be ridiculous :laugh:

I usually grab oreos or other snacks from the office (we sell this for our customers and for ourselves) but hey, IIFYM. And every time I do this my co-workers ask me why have I quit "dieting".

Ughh... It's too hard to explain so I just say "I don't know!" as I omnomnom my oreos :bigsmile: