7 Days Left on Low carb and fading fast

Replies

• ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    It's so very sad that a site that is supposed to offer motivation and help is full of so many people that are "my way or the highway".... I have friends doing all kinds of diets.... Low carb, low cal, beach body, HCG, advocare, itworks.... And I never ever ever tell them they are wrong in their choices.

I have more people blocked on here than I do on my friends list!

If you haven't blocked me yet, I would like to re-iterate what I said before about stepping back and reading posts in monotone.
    You might find that you will be able to un-block some people and their posts because they aren't necessarily cruel, mean, condescending or judgemental.
    Emotions can run high on the forums. Sometimes it takes some effort to see things how people REALLY mean them, instead of how we THINK they mean them.

I agree that passions can get heated on the threads.... Tones can get misjudged and such.
    I said on page two that I had (past tense) great success and quit due to financial complications ....

Then later (on around page 5 or so) when I said I had (past tense) great success I was still referring to what I said on page two... So I can see how you might take it where I might have been saying I am successful if you came in on page 5 and didn't see what I posted on page two.....

I am just restarting as of about 3 weeks ago and I am no expert at all... I'm far from maintenance. If I hadn't had to live off of Ramen and my friend making my pity dinner 6 nights a week I would never have stopped.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    It's so very sad that a site that is supposed to offer motivation and help is full of so many people that are "my way or the highway".... I have friends doing all kinds of diets.... Low carb, low cal, beach body, HCG, advocare, itworks.... And I never ever ever tell them they are wrong in their choices.

If you haven't blocked me yet, I would like to re-iterate what I said before about stepping back and reading posts in monotone.
    You might find that you will be able to un-block some people and their posts because they aren't necessarily cruel, mean, condescending or judgemental.
    Emotions can run high on the forums. Sometimes it takes some effort to see things how people REALLY mean them, instead of how we THINK they mean them.

I agree that passions can get heated on the threads.... Tones can get misjudged and such.
    I said on page two that I had (past tense) great success and quit due to financial complications ....

Then later (on around page 5 or so) when I said I had (past tense) great success I was still referring to what I said on page two... So I can see how you might take it where I might have been saying I am successful if you came in on page 5 and didn't see what I posted on page two.....

I am just restarting as of about 3 weeks ago and I am no expert at all... I'm far from maintenance. If I hadn't had to live off of Ramen and my friend making my pity dinner 6 nights a week I would never have stopped.

Been there, done that re: the Ramen.
    As much as I respect it, I hope I never have to eat it again. Total burn out. Even now, the thought just makes me unhappy.

I hope your health improves and your success continues.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

Glad you're back, and best of luck.:happy:
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    To Annie--great post. Thanks for summing it up. Best.
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member

As much as I respect it, I hope I never have to eat it again. Total burn out. Even now, the thought just makes me unhappy.

Thank you. It is helping my PCOS tremendously.
    And I don't mean to be so hot tempered but people like the OP give low carb a very bad name and it gets me all fired up ;)

Ramen is cheap :) sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do.. But I agree... I'll be just fine if I never have to eat it again.
  • rose228822
    rose228822 Posts: 186 Member
    Hello,
    I am doing about 50 grams of carbs a day and have an abundance of energy...about 3 weeks into it...are you eating enough fat and protein to keep you going and I find that doubling up on my water has helped out so much!
    Take care and good luck!
    Rose
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Feeling good today. So what I ate and eating today

Breakfast
    1 Pepperjack cheese stick
    1 Mini ice cream sandwich Has 16 grams of carbs

Lunch
    2 apple and gouda chicken sausages 4 carbs

Dinner

Undecided either going to be a 10oz skirt steak or 10oz new york strip steak

To up my calories going to eat some pork rinds and a few table spoons of olive oil.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Hello,
    I am doing about 50 grams of carbs a day and have an abundance of energy...about 3 weeks into it...are you eating enough fat and protein to keep you going and I find that doubling up on my water has helped out so much!
    Take care and good luck!
    Rose

Im not really watching protein and fat. figure since most my meals have some type of meat I dont worry about it.
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    If "calorie counting didn't work," it's because you were doing it wrong. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, regardless of diet.

I can't play the entire song "Eruption" by Van Halen, so obviously the problem is that guitars don't work...

bingo.
    Regardless of how the deficit occurs (whether it's from low carb, low fat, portion control, etc.), it's all about the calories.
    I have to say that for low carbing, its not calorie counting. Its CARB counting. Because if I low carb in the morning and eat low cal at night, the diet doesnt work. The whole premise of low carbing is that (and its scientific evidence) your body burns carbs for energy and once the carbs/sugars are gone, your body burns fat. So if you eat more carbs (low fat diets have higher carbs), your body takes about 3 days to burn off the sugars that you eat, so you wouldnt be burning fat, only sugars and wont lose weight. That is why there are strict phases of the diet (Atkins anyway) that limit you to a certain amount and slowly build in more depending on your own body and your desired outcome. I had 92lbs to lose back in November so I have stayed on the induction phase longer, the most strict phase, limiting myself to 20 a day. I have my good days and not so good days, but again I allow myself to eat more carbs if I need to as it is a lifestyle change and I need to be able to support this way of eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    If "calorie counting didn't work," it's because you were doing it wrong. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight, regardless of diet.

I can't play the entire song "Eruption" by Van Halen, so obviously the problem is that guitars don't work...

bingo.
    Regardless of how the deficit occurs (whether it's from low carb, low fat, portion control, etc.), it's all about the calories.
    I have to say that for low carbing, its not calorie counting. Its CARB counting. Because if I low carb in the morning and eat low cal at night, the diet doesnt work. The whole premise of low carbing is that (and its scientific evidence) your body burns carbs for energy and once the carbs/sugars are gone, your body burns fat. So if you eat carbs at night, your body takes about 3 days to burn off the sugars that you eat, so you wouldnt be burning fat, only sugars and wont lose weight. That is why there are strict phases of the diet (Atkins anyway) that limit you to a certain amount and slowly build in more depending on your own body and your desired outcome. I had 92lbs to lose back in November so I am on the induction phase, the most strict phase limiting myself to 20 a day. I have my good days and not so good days, but again I allow myself to eat more carbs if I need to as it is a lifestyle change and I need to be able to support this way of eating.

then how do people eat carbs at night and lose weight? I eat carbs every night and in my most recent cut I am losing about .5 pound per week ...

Do you happen to have some kind of study on eating carbs at night? I would be curious to read it.
  • mdallas6
    I knew it would be taken in the wrong context. My example was If I low carb part of the day and low cal the other part (day or night) it doesnt work. Its either low carb all day or low cal all day.
  • mdallas6
    And as for weight loss I am losing 3-5 lbs a week on low carb. Low cal is a slower weight loss
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I knew it would be taken in the wrong context. My example was If I low carb part of the day and low cal the other part (day or night) it doesnt work. Its either low carb all day or low cal all day.

how did I take you out of context? You said that if you eat carbs at night that it then takes three days to burn off the excess? All I asked for was the scientific evidence that you said existed to back this claim up....
  • bluiedgrl73
    bluiedgrl73 Posts: 1 Member
    Try increasing your calories a bit. You will be amazed at what your body does next. I hope you are getting enough fatty protein and quality fruits and veggies as your energy levels will drop. There are plenty of low carb options to choose from.
  • DamePiglet

bingo.
    I have to say that for low carbing, its not calorie counting. Its CARB counting. Because if I low carb in the morning and eat low cal at night, the diet doesnt work. The whole premise of low carbing is that (and its scientific evidence) your body burns carbs for energy and once the carbs/sugars are gone, your body burns fat. So if you eat more carbs (low fat diets have higher carbs), your body takes about 3 days to burn off the sugars that you eat, so you wouldnt be burning fat, only sugars and wont lose weight. That is why there are strict phases of the diet (Atkins anyway) that limit you to a certain amount and slowly build in more depending on your own body and your desired outcome. I had 92lbs to lose back in November so I have stayed on the induction phase longer, the most strict phase, limiting myself to 20 a day. I have my good days and not so good days, but again I allow myself to eat more carbs if I need to as it is a lifestyle change and I need to be able to support this way of eating.

I understand how it's executed.
    But the "science" behind it is that it creates a calorie deficit by eliminating simple carbohydrates.
    People can easily gain weight by eating low carb if they eat in caloric surplus.

If your style of eating is beneficial for you, cool beans. However, weight loss happens in caloric deficit. Period.
  • DamePiglet
    And as for weight loss I am losing 3-5 lbs a week on low carb. Low cal is a slower weight loss

Then your caloric deficit is pretty high.
    Once you get closer to "ideal" composition, your rate of weight loss will decrease.
  • DamePiglet

Thank you. It is helping my PCOS tremendously.
    And I don't mean to be so hot tempered but people like the OP give low carb a very bad name and it gets me all fired up ;)

Ramen is cheap :) sometimes you've just gotta do what you've gotta do.. But I agree... I'll be just fine if I never have to eat it again.

I understand your anger at low carb being used as a "crash diet." I wouldn't like that either.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    I am T2 diabetic and managed to do about 25 grams a day for months. You need to eat lots of salt, fat and protein to compensate for the low carb. I still never felt good but since the drs. didn't think I needed more drugs it was the only way I could keep my BG remotely ok. More drugs and I now eat between 75 and 150 grams a day and feel much better. BTW, I've lost more weight being moderate carb than I did being low carb.

It has been my experience as well. Because going moderate carbs (around 100-150 grams of carb per day and net of 1,200--1,500 cals per day) allows you to do lots of exercise (and build some muscle too), I have found it to be a much easier plan to follow permanently. I do not eat added sugar. I eat no wheat and just a small amount of oats and some rye. The rest of my carbs come from vegetables (especially root vegetables for the potassium) a few nuts and at least one serving of fruit per day. When I was with my friends yesterday, I allowed them to give me a TINY piece of carrot cake--I could barely get through it. Although good, it was WAAAYYY too sweet for my reformed taste buds.lol (whoops, I forgot to log it). I have easily twice the energy that I had on my former high carb diet. If you eliminate sugary foods and limit grain--getting most of your carbs from vegetables and fruits, you will get the proper mineral balance to keep your body humming. Taking mineral supplements can be dangerous in addition to damaging your long-term health. Nature has provided the proper mix of minerals in a diet that includes lean protein, vegetables, nuts and fruits. Eating lots of meat, sugar and too much grain is problematic because it throws our acid/alkalai balance off and that can lead to disease in the long haul, a lack of energy in the short haul.

ETA: I eat a bit of cheese and eggs almost every day too. We really were meant to be omnivores, I think. A diet that includes lots of variety of natural whole foods is a VERY satisfying way to eat. Most people who try it say that they would NEVER go back to their former crappy, high sugar, high carb diets.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Thankyou Dude. Now THIS is an entirely different thing than what the OP is doing. I respect people that eat well. Even if I might not do low carb myself, since I'm doing so well eating a little of everything--typical Mediterranean diet. I would thik low carbers would have to eat various vegetables to be successful and healthy in the long run. I really want everyone on here to succeed. I find the discussions interesting--am learning so much. Sorry to bug you with questions, but you have to admit alot of people don't understand what you're doing. I need to see examples, and imagine there are lots of others on MFP like me. Appreciate your time. Best.:smile:

I eat way different than the o/p as well. It's no wonder he doesn't feel well with the lack of good food in his meal choices.

For me, a typical day is:
    Breakfast- 2 cups of coffee, with heavy cream and no sugar
    2-3 eggs
    2 sausage patties, either turkey or turkey/pork combo

Lunch
    Salad- 3oz of greens, 2oz cukes, 2oz tomatoes, and then some other veggies, like carrot, bok choy, mushrooms, scallions, whatever we have around. 4oz of chicken breast, olive oil, balsamic vinegar. Sometimes an ounce of cheese on top. Sometimes I'll use a can of tuna instead of chicken, or I'll make tuna salad and have it on a low carb tortilla.

Snack- nuts or pork rinds or some cheese

Dinner-
    a large portion of meat, like steak, pork chops, baked chicken or turkey, salmon. 10-16oz
    a large portion of a veggie like cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, asparagus, really any fresh veggies cooked in olive or coconut oil. 12oz at least. Mixed veggie stir fry a lot too. Lots of good spices, Indian, Thai, etc to keep things interesting.

I try to stay around 50g net carbs a day. I go over on the weekends because I like craft beer and will have some of them.
    I try to get at least 64oz of water, preferably more.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member

:ohwell: Fast weight loss is about the worst reason I can think of for going low carb.

How long have you been losing at this rate?