Wow! Import from Allrecipes!!!

Replies

• D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    I managed to import a couple last Friday while on a computer and they show fine on the computer, when i try and view them from my tablet (android based) or my iPhone they are there in name only. Given I have no computer in the kitchen I'm not likely to use the feature since it doesn't support mobile use. I Really just need to be able to see the ingredient list of rmost thing and i can extrapolate how to make them since I have a lot of cooking experience
    I just go to the websites now via my tablet

I hadn't noticed this. It showed the recipe for me to add to my log, but you are right. The app on my Iphone doesn't show the ingredients of the recipe. I will do the same if needed, just go to the full site via Safari.

This is still far better than Weight Watchers online. I paid for that for years. I'm so happy with MFP.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    Nice! Definitely going to play with this in the next few days! While it would be nice if the whole recipe would show up in the app, I guess it doesn't *have* to in order for me to be happy! Just to save some time...I tinker with all the recipes anyway so being able to alter is *awesome*!
  • cmurphy252
    cmurphy252 Posts: 279 Member
    Bump
  • nellie1967
    nellie1967 Posts: 8 Member
    Just tried it, so much easier! Thank you!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    I just tried to import this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Lasagna-Lite/Detail.aspx

and it came up as 1900 cal/serving. Um, no.... I don't think so...

I really don't understand how this works. When I went through and looked at the ingredients it matched, all of them gave ridiculously inflated calorie counts. Like 32000 calories for refried beans, or 20000 calories for diced green chiles. When I went through to edit it, the values still came up really inflated.

Is anyone else checking to see if the recipe they are inputting matches what the original site said?
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    I was able to import using my Ipad from Foodnetwork.com. However, I wasn't able to import from skinnytaste.com. I think it has something to do with the format of the recipe on the website. You can copy and paste from any website though and that is much easier than typing the entire recipe!
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    bumpity bump
  • lmjblues
    lmjblues Posts: 117 Member
    Great tip!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Great tip!! Thanks for sharing!!

+1 :flowerforyou:
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Cool! I'm so excited! Thanks for the alert.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    So you need to take out any instructions listed next to the ingredient, like 1 egg beaten. Also it imports the picture!

had better success using link from ziplist recipe box than from skinnytaste proper
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    I couldn't get it to work. But it could be because my computer + internet explorer together are d-bags
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    I just tried to import this recipe:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Lasagna-Lite/Detail.aspx

and it came up as 1900 cal/serving. Um, no.... I don't think so...

You're right - it had a lot of trouble with that recipe. Got a number of ingredients completely wrong and really messed up the amounts. This just shows that - with any recipe that you import - you need to carefully look at the ingredients, and the calorie counts, and use your "garbage detector" to notice when things need fixing.

I still think it is easier than entering a recipe by hand! I did it yesterday with a recipe from Slate. I did have to paste in the ingredients, as it didn't find them in the article, but after that, it went smoothly.
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    i tried this last week i think, and idk if it was the site or my computer, but the whole browser froze, so i gave up , rebooted, and did it manually.

if it works next time, i think i'll be in love though.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    i tried this last week i think, and idk if it was the site or my computer, but the whole browser froze, so i gave up , rebooted, and did it manually.

if it works next time, i think i'll be in love though.

I had tried it a week or so ago with similar results - I don't think it froze up everything, but it did get hung up. I was glad to see it work for me yesterday.
  • rlp1975
    rlp1975 Posts: 47 Member
    Awesome! Thanks so much! What a time saver! Just tried it!! LOVE IT!!!:heart:
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    You do need to do a sanity check on the ingredients. If anything is way off, just delete and re-enter that ingredient. I'm just really psyched because I have almost all my recipes online!
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Wow!!
  • cossmoss15
    cossmoss15 Posts: 509 Member
    Thank you. Makes it less likely I'll give up on my tracking!
  • MelWilB137
    MelWilB137 Posts: 20 Member
    Awesome...the lazy logger in me is thrilled!!

Muchas Gracias!