Thoughts on incorporating HIIT in between lifting sets?

mdcoug
mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
I've been experimenting with creating my own at-home routine. I don't have the equipment to do high-weight/low-rep exercises safely, so I'm opting for lower-weight/higher-reps (still pushing for failure though).

My lifting experience is limited to NROL4W and 5x5. How important is resting in between sets with the lower-weight/higer-rep approach? What would I be sacrificing if I threw in burpees or high knees in between sets? Maybe alternate muscle sets, so if I'm doing squats, do speed-bag punches in between or if I'm doing overhead presses, do high knees in between.

Or should I just lose the complication and save it until the end?

Goals are to lose weight while holding onto muscle. Not a lot to lose, just about 5-7 lbs.

Replies

• cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Do it! In two weeks i begin Jim Stopanni's Shortcut to Shred and this incorporates cardio acceleration between sets.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred-training-overview.html
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    You'll be fine. There's no reason to switch to lower weight and higher reps tho. I wouldn't bother doing the cardio blast between reps of squats or deadlifts, but that's a personal preference, mostly.
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    Do it! In two weeks i begin Jim Stopanni's Shortcut to Shred and this incorporates cardio acceleration between sets.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jim-stoppani-six-week-shortcut-to-shred-training-overview.html

Have done this, it's hard but works!!
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member

I also have studied this program. Active rests are a beast but the research shows that it works pretty well! I would say go for it! Besides, it makes the program intense and fun!
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    You'll be fine. There's no reason to switch to lower weight and higher reps tho. I wouldn't bother doing the cardio blast between reps of squats or deadlifts, but that's a personal preference, mostly.

In terms of switching, I'm going from 5 reps to 10 to 15 reps per set. I can't get the bar over my head safely for back squats at 5 reps, so I'm doing front squats at 10 to 15 and I made the executive decision to skip the HIIT during the dead lifts last time ;). I'm planning a few squat exercises tomorrow, so I'll listen to my body on whether the HIIT will work with them, given everyone's "go-ahead" advice.

From what I've read, the low rep/ high weight benefits increased strength and the lower weight/ higher rep benefits bigger muscles. And since I'm a female on a calorie deficit, I don't have to be overly concerned about getting to big, so I'm ok with this approach. I can benefit from this approach as long as I am progressively increasing the weight, right?? That will help me maintain muscle while buring as much fat as possible, right??

Sometimes I overthink things!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Yep, sounds like you'll be fine