The most amazing fiesta salad you'll ever have!

missiontofitness
missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
So, I got a free dinner to a restaurant that I finally cashed in late last year. It was a Tex-Mex place, and I ordered a taco salad there. It's definitely the most unhealthy thing I've had at a Tex-Mex restaurant...the bowl was a fried homemade tortilla, and it was full of deliciously unhealthy goodness. So I figured...why not make a more slim version at home?

Well, I did.
And I don't mean to brag, but it was probably better than theirs!
This salad is one of my favorite go-to meals, because it's full of good fats, it's filling, and has NO SALAD DRESSING! Well, it kind of does...but I'll explain below.

What you'll need:

4oz of chicken breast
1 teaspoon of olive oil (you don't need much! Just enough to very lightly coat the chicken in the pan)
2 cups of spring mix
1/4 of one ripe avocado to create guacamole, plus any spices you'd like to add to your guac
2 tbsp of light sour cream
5 cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup Delmonte no salt added corn
1/4 cup Stop and Shop black beans

Optional: Any spices you prefer to spice your chicken. With this recipe, I generally eyeball cayenne pepper, a little sprinkle of kosher salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper. I add all of these directly into the pan when I add the chicken.

=================================================

To start, cook your chicken. Dice it, or cube it up before you add it if you'd like. When you've heated up the oil and added your chicken, immediately add any spices you like. I especially like to sprinkle the crushed red pepper both onto the chicken, and into the pan directly; I've found the hot oil helps to release the spicy goodness of the flakes, and provides some extra heat that cooks into the chicken when it infuses into the oil.

Assemble your salad; drain your beans and corn, and dice up your tomatoes. Throw them all onto your bed of lettuce, and get ready to party.

To make the guacamole: I generally will mash up my avocado with white pepper, black pepper, a tiny bit of salt, and a little onion and garlic. Do whatever you'd like, though!

When the chicken is cooked, let it sit for a few minutes, and pat it with a paper towel to remove any excess oil. Allow it to cool off, so your greens don't wilt or get soggy. Add it to your salad, and top it with the sour cream and guacamole.

=================================================

What I love most about this recipe is that it's full of protein, good fat from the avocado, and that it requires no additional dressing. The mix of the sour cream and guacamole together is a combination like no other I've experienced. It creates a slightly creamy, yet very flavorful mix that is a refreshing change from dressing out of a bottle! Usually I'll plop them both onto the salad separately, and mix it all together when I'm about to eat it. It's amazing.

Here are the stats for the recipe, as I've made it:

Total calories for one serving: 354 (Around 189 calories from the avocado and chicken)
Total fat for one salad: 15g (if you omit the EVOO, subtract 5g.)
Total carbs for one salad: 22g
Total protein for one salad: 34g
Total saturated fat for one salad: 4g

Remember to switch up your measurements/diary input for the items you use. But this is a general ballpark of the party that will go on in your stomach after you try this.

Replies

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Mmmm....now I'm craving this. Sounds really good!!
  • missiontofitness
    Mmmm....now I'm craving this. Sounds really good!!

It is! I'm actually picking up an avocado tomorrow so I can ripen it for this weekend. :)
    And now that I think of it...red and yellow bell peppers, and red onion would be delicious in it too!
  • twhitecotton32
    twhitecotton32 Posts: 21 Member
    This sounds amazing cant wait to try it!
  • mamaspa4
    mamaspa4 Posts: 32
    Yum love Mexican foods.....and Guac!! Thanks for sharing
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Yum! Sounds fantastic :)
  • jazchlo
    jazchlo Posts: 56 Member
    Sounds delicious!!! Thanks.
  • juliecnw
    juliecnw Posts: 16 Member
    This sounds really good. I have the ingredients so guess what we will be having for dinner. YUM!
    Julie
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    This sounds yummy!!
  • Apple31415
    Apple31415 Posts: 98 Member
    I know what i'm having for dinner this weekend! Thanks for sharing.
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    That sounds really yummy, thx for sharing
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Sounds AMAZING!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Thanks! This sounds really good!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    I'm a lime & cilantro girl, so I'd add those. Sounds like a pretty tasty recipe as is, though. Thanks!
  • missiontofitness
    You're welcome everyone!
    Anddd the lime and cilantro sounds amazing to add to the guacamole!
  • GB333
    GB333 Posts: 261 Member
    Try it with the McCormick Baja Citrus "grill mates" for a maranade and put a little fresh lime juice in your guac and LOTS of cilantro! DELICIOUS!!

Also, I have those silly "perfect tortilla bowls" from television and they really do work - put a low calorie tortilla in it and and pop it in the oven and it's a perfectly crispy bowl for your salad. ;) YUM!
  • awebster2
    awebster2 Posts: 40 Member
    Try it with the McCormick Baja Citrus "grill mates" for a maranade and put a little fresh lime juice in your guac and LOTS of cilantro! DELICIOUS!!

Also, I have those silly "perfect tortilla bowls" from television and they really do work - put a low calorie tortilla in it and and pop it in the oven and it's a perfectly crispy bowl for your salad. ;) YUM!

Of just turn a muffin pan over, tuck a tortilla in between the upturned muffin forms to create a bowl, and bake. I add jalapeno slices to the salad, too (you can get no heat ones if you just want flavor without heat).
  • jenk7356
    jenk7356 Posts: 43 Member
    Sounds amazing!!
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    bumpity bump bump:smile:
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,197 Member
    I love these salads but most restaurants add too much fat & carbs. This will be on my list for lunch next week. Looking for more protein in my diet. Thanks for sharing!
  • missiontofitness

Of just turn a muffin pan over, tuck a tortilla in between the upturned muffin forms to create a bowl, and bake. I add jalapeno slices to the salad, too (you can get no heat ones if you just want flavor without heat).

I love posting recipes here cause then I get a ton of awesome ideas to make the recipe even better!