chalk, straps, or gloves?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    When I need it I will be using chalk...

But I use mixed grip now so I should be fine for a while.

I can't ever see me using gloves and if I ever need straps I will be surprised.
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    I also agree with trying out mixed grip. I was against it myself at first but now thaf I am getting used to it, I am finding it a lifesaver. Try it out for 3 workouts and then see how you feel about it. Just make sure to alternate which hand is over and which is under.
  • feralX
    feralX Posts: 334 Member
    Straps for me for deads, rack pulls, and SLDL. Careful about over doing the grip strength training or you run the risk of developing tendonitis in your elbows.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    chalk !
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    chalk and hook grip
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Just came here to mention that liquid chalk exists and is great to use because it doesn't make dust everywhere (and may be allowed where regular chalk isn't). I do not need chalk yet for lifts, but as a rock climber I enjoy DMM Liquid Chalk.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    This thread makes me happy. It is full of people who know what they're talking about.

Chalk, mixed grip, and grip strengthening exercises. Also, if you aren't doing scads of hanging leg raises, give them a try. Those will really help your grip with the added benefit of gawjuss abs.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I use chalk and mixed grip. Gloves when it is so cold in my basement that the barbell stings my hands
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    chalk FTW.
    i have straps, but have yet to use them for fear of them just being a band-aid for weak grip.
    gloves also give the effect of the bar being thicker, so i stopped using them as my weight went up.

sadly, we cant have chalk in my gym, but i worked with one of the guys who works there and he was nice enough to let me have some of his. it was my first time with chalk and i give the chalk all the credit for the PR i set that night. :drinker:
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Chalk with mixed grip. I have ripped the callouses right off my hands with big weight but never lost grip.
  • DrWonga
    DrWonga Posts: 20
    I go with a mixed grip. No straps, no Chalk and no gloves. I think you need to improve your grip strength to improve your deadlift.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    This thread makes me happy. It is full of people who know what they're talking about.

Chalk, mixed grip, and grip strengthening exercises. Also, if you aren't doing scads of hanging leg raises, give them a try. Those will really help your grip with the added benefit of gawjuss abs.

I thumbs up this post :drinker: Hadn't thought about HLR's and grip strength, but they certainly would help that.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Chalk plus mixed grip will allow you to pull more, period. As you pull more, your grip will improve, but it will no longer be your limiting factor.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    what about ballgags?

oh wait...

i may have misunderstood the thread title... nvm. :tongue:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    what about ballgags?

oh wait...

Haha, you beat me to it!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Chalk and mixed grip. Like someone else mentioned, just alternate which hand is under with each set.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    I like using chalk for dead lifts.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Another option if you're in a place that doesn't allow chalk is a rosin bag from the baseball section of sporting goods stores. That's what I used for years. Straps are an easy choice too but don't use them in your sets until you have to. I would have never been able to do my higher rep sets without straps. Some of the best deadlifters ever use straps in training (Benni, Konstantin, etc).
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    what about ballgags?

oh wait...

Bro... DYEL?

Chalk and mixed grip for heavy deads. Farmer walks for grip training (all the awesome!). Straps for rack pulls. And for the love of Minerva keep your damned arms straight when lifting Atlas stones or your biceps will hurt, even if you don't tear them! (That last is mostly a reminder to myself...)