Why does everyone hate me? The forum Survival Guide.

Replies

• JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Well said! :drinker:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Geezz, coulda said it less than 10 words no?

When addressing people who get butthurt easily, condensing what say when you're disagreeing with them into 10 words is about the worst thing you can do. There's almost an inverse relationship between the number of words used to disagree with someone and the amount of butthurt that follows.

ETA: I said almost, there are notable exceptions.
  • jennpaulson
    jennpaulson Posts: 850 Member

Now stop crying and start learning and if you feel the need to sniffle? Go spend an hour reading the comments on Youtube, because you've yet to experience "mean".

Good Luck!

I really like this line : )
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    love it! Thanks OP :)
  • yuuen
    yuuen Posts: 114 Member
    Anyone who thinks MFP is really unbearably mean clearly hasn't seen too much of the internet.... The meanest people on MFP are like a breath of springtime air compared to a lot of places online.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Love this!!
  • gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Bumping this so everyone can read it :)
    Awesome job!
    Lmao at the "SURPRISE" part XD
  • muzichick
    muzichick Posts: 331 Member
    I currently, and previously, have belonged to a number of different types of internet forums (from music to finances, and weightloss) and they all encounter the 'cape and spandex' new posters, who likely have no experience with internet forums, and are astonished when not everybody shines rainbows up their backsides.

A post like this should be required reading when someone signs up to any forum, tailored to the forums' topic, of course.

:wink:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    6854sn.gif
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    tumblr_lx5azw8LcG1qf9mevo1_500_zpse8bac51e.gif
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Love it! I would add one more category:

Help Us Help You - Nothing brings out the butthurt like the posts where the OP only gives out tidbits of information. The OP gets upset that people aren't giving them the answer they are looking for, and the rest of the forum gets annoyed that we have to drag things out of you and you're arguing with us. Then it's all cat gifs and burning dumpsters.

1. Open your diary so people can help you. Tell us if you weigh and measure food. Include any special medical or dietary conditions in the OP so people don't spend five pages trying to give suggestions only to find out you have PCOS or a food allergy.

2. Be upfront about your resources. If you're asking for help with an exercise routine, tell people what you have available to you. It is incredibly frustrating to write out suggested workout plan only to have the person shoot down every suggestion because they think they need to recreate a gym in their basement to succeed. People here workout in gyms, outside, in their homes, and they find ways to do it morning, noon, after work, and even in the dead of night. They have everything from home gyms to a few dumbbells to no equipment at all. They make it work, and if you want it, so can you. Your arguments are invalid.

3. It really IS about the math. Yes, repeating this point from our wonderful OP, but it is. It doesn't matter what your HRM said you burned, how clean your food is, or how many hours of cardio you've done today. If you are not losing weight, you are not in a calorie deficit. The reason for that could be anything from underestimating food intake to a medical condition to overestimating calorie burn, but somewhere there a disturbance in the energy equation. Let people help you identify where the problem might be. Your numbers are going to change as you lose weight and you're going to need to tweak - it's normal. Don't sit there and argue. Your HRM and food labels are calorie estimates, not written in stone. You have to put in the time and look for trends to find your calorie sweet spot.

4. Think about what you want to say before you say it. If you don't want your post to turn into an epic train wreck, then find ways to ask for help without insulting other people. If you need food advice, tell us what you are looking for ("desserts with fruit") and not what you don't want ("bad" "unhealthy" "processed junk food" "crap food"). No one cares if you prefer fruit to chocolate; you don't need to belittle another person's food choices just because it isn't your thing. Same thing with exercise/body type. Say you want to cut fat and get muscle definition. Or just lose some weight and improve overall fitness. Post a picture of someone who has the body type you want. Find some way to convey your goal without labeling another body type as unattractive. Again, just because it's not your thing doesn't make it bad.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Search function is your friend.

And IN!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

Help Us Help You - Nothing brings out the butthurt like the posts where the OP only gives out tidbits of information. The OP gets upset that people aren't giving them the answer they are looking for, and the rest of the forum gets annoyed that we have to drag things out of you and you're arguing with us. Then it's all cat gifs and burning dumpsters.

and then there are those who take this whole concept up a whole level, who ask for advice but fail to mention that they have a medical condition that would mean that the general advice doesn't work for them, then gets butthurt because they're given advice that's suitable for the general population but isn't suitable for them and don't people know that someone with their medical condition shouldn't do that, and then when people say they should have mentioned the medical condition in the OP, they get butthurt again saying that they shouldn't have to post such personal information on a public website..... *facepalm*
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Awesome post!!
    (hopefully they read this before posting!)
  • malcolmjcooper
    malcolmjcooper Posts: 79 Member
    Well said love it :love:
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    f3e3f846b7eaf30ad45e6ddfd244312e.jpg

1. Open your diary so people can help you. Tell us if you weigh and measure food. Include any special medical or dietary conditions in the OP so people don't spend five pages trying to give suggestions only to find out you have PCOS or a food allergy.

2. Be upfront about your resources. If you're asking for help with an exercise routine, tell people what you have available to you. It is incredibly frustrating to write out suggested workout plan only to have the person shoot down every suggestion because they think they need to recreate a gym in their basement to succeed. People here workout in gyms, outside, in their homes, and they find ways to do it morning, noon, after work, and even in the dead of night. They have everything from home gyms to a few dumbbells to no equipment at all. They make it work, and if you want it, so can you. Your arguments are invalid.

3. It really IS about the math. Yes, repeating this point from our wonderful OP, but it is. It doesn't matter what your HRM said you burned, how clean your food is, or how many hours of cardio you've done today. If you are not losing weight, you are not in a calorie deficit. The reason for that could be anything from underestimating food intake to a medical condition to overestimating calorie burn, but somewhere there a disturbance in the energy equation. Let people help you identify where the problem might be. Your numbers are going to change as you lose weight and you're going to need to tweak - it's normal. Don't sit there and argue. Your HRM and food labels are calorie estimates, not written in stone. You have to put in the time and look for trends to find your calorie sweet spot.

4. Think about what you want to say before you say it. If you don't want your post to turn into an epic train wreck, then find ways to ask for help without insulting other people. If you need food advice, tell us what you are looking for ("desserts with fruit") and not what you don't want ("bad" "unhealthy" "processed junk food" "crap food"). No one cares if you prefer fruit to chocolate; you don't need to belittle another person's food choices just because it isn't your thing. Same thing with exercise/body type. Say you want to cut fat and get muscle definition. Or just lose some weight and improve overall fitness. Post a picture of someone who has the body type you want. Find some way to convey your goal without labeling another body type as unattractive. Again, just because it's not your thing doesn't make it bad.
  • enidite
    enidite Posts: 92 Member
    Love your post; thank you so much.
    Would there be a way to make t a sticky (is that what they are called? Not sure if I have the right word).
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Your totally welcome guys... just getting tired of woe is me threads from the person with 5 posts. Get to know a place before you cry wolf.

That is all. =D

WOW

Sarcasm... or a victim of everything I just wrote? If the latter I have a solution for you. Step one, remove keyboard from computer and melt with fire. Step two, continue browsing the internet. Your problem is solved, your welcome.

Have a great day!
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Love your post; thank you so much.
    Would there be a way to make t a sticky (is that what they are called? Not sure if I have the right word).

I wish I could. Just bookmark and reference the next time you see a topic go south. =D
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Well said.
This discussion has been closed.