Delayed muscle soreness

I workout 3 times per week and include both cardio and strength training in my workouts. I have a pretty decent routine going that works for me. I am accustomed to occasional muscle soreness especially early on. It's not a problem and I live with it. But is it normal for that soreness to come 48 hours after a workout? The day after a good, hard workout I am not sore at all but the following day I am. Since I work out MWF that soreness is occuring on my work out day. Any thoughts? Is that common?

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    My body is weird too. If I'm going to have DOMS - it will be 36 hours out.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Yep, usually the day after the day after is worse!
  • JONZ64
    JONZ64 Posts: 1,280 Member
    I have always felt it 48 hours after, so either I'm weird too or its normal :smile:
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    DOMS are an odd creature. I've found really ramping up the amount of water I take in post-workout helps to defect them somewhat.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Seems pretty normal for me, too. Fwiw, making sure I get plenty of protein on workout days seems to help as does drinking plenty of water and the amino acid workout drink I use. It may just be that my body adjusted but my doms improved when I started consciously 'replenishing' aminos and protein
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Yep, normal.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    My body can be a byatch too
  • bryant28408
    bryant28408 Posts: 52 Member
    OK, guess it is normal then. It's not been a big issue so I'll not worry about it. I assume DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness???
  • enjoy it. My bodies aching at the moment from last nights training, so is going to really hurt tomorrow. Just role with it. :0)
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    OK, guess it is normal then. It's not been a big issue so I'll not worry about it. I assume DOMS is delayed onset muscle soreness???

Yep
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Yep, this is normal for some.
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Yep.

The harder my workouts are, the more likely I am to feel it 2 days after rather than 1.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Ohhhh yeah. I don't have a handle on it at all. It could be 48 or 72 hours for me, and that sometimes has me with two different muscle groups sore at the same time. Everything above my waist is wrecked right now, and I still have slight residual soreness in my legs from Monday.
  • Betty_Rubble
    Betty_Rubble Posts: 117 Member
    I have found that keeping moving after a hard workout session tends to keep the DOMS away. I.e - I do the weights then will do cardio either on the treadmill or do a cardio type workout DVD.

And, when the DOMS sets in - keep those muscles moving, it'll help :)
  • misscem94
    misscem94 Posts: 114 Member
    I can have it for up to 72 hours after a workout, which is annoying, as I never see the drop on the scales!
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Get some low cal chocolate milk into you within 20 minutes of finishing your exercise - the low cal stuff, by sheer chance, has the correct amount of proteins, carbs, fat and salts to aid recovery and help protect against DOMS. Reference - The First Twenty Minutes by Grechen Reynolds.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Mine usually comes 24 hours later. I guess everyone is different?

I know I did some serious stuff when it hits before the 24-hour mark.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    The second day after is always the worst for me.
  • tpncc
    tpncc Posts: 10 Member
    Forty-eight hours after the workout is perfectly normal. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/29/second-day-muscle-soreness_n_4324296.html

excerpt from the article above....

There's a name for this type of delayed onset muscle soreness, and -- surprise! -- it's delayed onset muscle soreness (or DOMS).

DOMS usually sets in one to three days after your tough workout, but it may persist for up to 10. There are a number of theories as to what's really going on at the muscular level to create pain so far after the fact, including lactic acid buildup and inflammation, not to mention real damage to muscles and/or tendons. Experts say it's likely, however, that a combination of two or more of the going theories are probably at work.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Yup, totally normal but still seems kind of odd how it works. You're in the second day thinking, "I worked my *kitten* off yesterday but the soreness isn't too bad so I must be getting stronger. Sweet!". Then another 12 hours passes and you're like "Would it kill me if I took 10 Advil? Who cares, as long as the pain goes away..."