Any Overcoming Sitting Disease Success Stories (no kidding)

Replies

• momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    So strange that I'm reading this tonight because I just put a request into my boss for a standing work station! I hope he grants it because I don't want to have sitting disease!
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Soooo... I've been SITTING here reading all this... :noway:

I definitely have this but like a few others, I've been trying to break myself of it! I have a fitbit which is definitely motivating but also I started doing squats whenever I have to get up. After reading all these articles I will try to add more to my day!! :blushing:
  • Obnoxa
    Obnoxa Posts: 187 Member
    I got a fitbit flex and about 2 weeks after the shocking realization of how little I moved according to said fitbit, I hacked my desk into a standing desk for 25 bucks. Now I not only march on the spot all the time, but when you are standing in front of your desk, you are a little more likely to move around; I think of nothing of walking back and forth to the computer all day instead of just vegging in front of it. Best thing I ever did was hack my desk :happy:
  • Emi1974
    Emi1974 Posts: 522 Member
    :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

guilty. I have a fitbit one now since yesterday and I got in my 10.000 steps, but that took a little over an hour to do. For most of my day I sit on my behind.

I also feel very guilty when I sit here and read or write in forums for hours. I am aware that I could utilize this time to be more active!
  • EvenThatNameIsTaken
    EvenThatNameIsTaken Posts: 164 Member
    I believe I have successfully treated my sitting disease! I have a desk career and have spent years and years seated, plus a lot of my free time is at a desk, so I was sitting ALL the TIME.

I have converted to a standing desk just earlier this month (was thinking about it for about 2 years), I have a fitbit that keeps me moving around, today I got a little mini stepper to use while I'm reading at the computer . I am treating my sitting disease with good results. :)

It took a couple weeks to get used to not sitting. The legs still aren't quite used to it, it's been almost 4 weeks. The first few days, I loved going to bed so much because I could get off my feet. Then I bought a good stool so I could alternate sitting and standing. Endless standing isn't desirable either!

When I was just getting started trying to sit less, I had a kitchen timer I would set every 20-30 minutes so I would get up and walk around. Didn't always work, but it brought to my attention how much I was actually sitting.

It's great people are talking about fitbit too, it's been a great motivator for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been walking around before midnight or before going to bed to get those steps in.
  • TexasGal1
    TexasGal1 Posts: 65 Member
    Very interesting indeed! Now, I'm going for a walk. :happy:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I have it !!!

Me too:frown: But knowledge WITH action is power! I've been frustrated as ALL get out for the past year or so, as I believe I eat VERY well the greater majority of the time, so that's definitely NOT the issue...I've also been exercising regularly too and yet, for the past year or so, I've lost and regained the same blasted 5-11 pounds over and over again. NO sustained losses really at all. I'm thinking my sitting on my tush for the greater majority of the day is (at the very least) a contributing factor to my NOT being successful in taking the weight off and keeping it off.

Reading this about "sitting disease" is a blessing to me--because as the articles state, no matter how much you are exercising, if one is spending the greater majority of the day sitting on one's rump--that's not good at all. Also, I was thinking about HOW I got fat in the first place, after being skinny all my young and middle aged life--and looking at my own personal lifestyle, the key for me IS that I went from being active (spending the greater majority of my time) being active (only sitting on my tail for a few hours per day) to sitting on my bohunkus most of the time, only spending about an hour (on average) exercising and the rest of the time sitting. I'm also learning a lot of ways to battle this "sitting disease" from the articles and the good folks posting here too.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    I definitely have it! I sit in a desk all day long, sit in my car, work out for an hour, get home and immediately plop down on the couch. I'm so tired from sitting all day that I won't even get up to get a drink from the kitchen! Once my butt hits the sofa, I'm down for the night. So sad!

BUT there's good news. Next month I start a new job where I won't be sitting quite as much, and I'll go from fulltime to parttime, so I have the rest of the day after 1:00 to go on walks or exercise or run errands. Can't wait! I think this change is going to be GREAT.
  • smelius22
    smelius22 Posts: 334 Member
    I have it !!!

Me too:frown: But knowledge WITH action is power! I've been frustrated as ALL get out for the past year or so, as I believe I eat VERY well actually more often than not...I've been exercising regularly too and yet, for the past year or so, I've lost and regained the
    same blasted 5-11 pounds over and over again. NO sustained losses really at all. I'm thinking my sitting on my tush for the greater majority of the day is (at the very least) a contributing factor to my being successful in taking the weight off and keeping it off.

I'm having that same problem! Although I've been at this only 4 months, I haven't lost a SINGLE stinkin pound, I've actually gained one! I'll admit I haven't always been 100% on top of my diet (always within 200 cals of my daily limit), but I have been working out 5x/week this entire time and the only change I've seen is muscle definition in my thighs. So frustrating!
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    I have this too, but some of the ideas seemed unrealistic.

"Aim for 10 minutes of NEAT each hour" - If I spent 10 minutes each hour, I'd get in trouble with my boss. I probably could get away with 30 seconds, but 10 minutes? You've got to be kidding me.

"Prolonged sitting at work can tire you out, making you zone out as 5 p.m. approaches, Comana says. "But if you take a brisk, 15-minute walk in the afternoon, you'll be far more productive in your last two hours." - Again, I get 30 minutes for lunch and that's it. If I did this I would get in trouble.

Now I certainly can do a few of the other things and I will make an active effort to do so. But I wonder who these people are that think up some of these. I've seen things like this in other articles. Those of us in the real world can't do some of these things.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I have this too, but some of the ideas seemed unrealistic.

"Aim for 10 minutes of NEAT each hour" - If I spent 10 minutes each hour, I'd get in trouble with my boss. I probably could get away with 30 seconds, but 10 minutes? You've got to be kidding me.

"Prolonged sitting at work can tire you out, making you zone out as 5 p.m. approaches, Comana says. "But if you take a brisk, 15-minute walk in the afternoon, you'll be far more productive in your last two hours." - Again, I get 30 minutes for lunch and that's it. If I did this I would get in trouble.

Now I certainly can do a few of the other things and I will make an active effort to do so. But I wonder who these people are that think up some of these. I've seen things like this in other articles. Those of us in the real world can't do some of these things.

{{{{:heart: Hugs:heart: }}}} I'm thinking these types of articles are written for people in the real world, like me...who definitely can do these things for sure--I just didn't consider it at all! Here's some excerpts of ideas that may help people like you that just can't do 10 minutes or 15 minutes of intermittent activity from sitting all day I found in this other "really deep/interestingand informative" article:

..."Of course, couch potatoes and office workers don't always have thirty minutes to spare. After all, a Firefly bender might take up an entire evening. Here's the good news: you can break up that thirty minutes throughout the day. Dr. Parr continues:

This is the best part. We usually tell people to break it up into ten minute segments, but that's because it's the most practical. If I tell you that you can spread it out throughout the day, you're going to say, "Well, I stood up and walked across the room to my soda." What was that, about ten seconds? You'll start to micromanage. From my perspective, that's not how people should do it. But you could do it that way....

It's up to you how you use these micro-breaks. You don't even have to move if you don't want to, but if you want to get a little activity in that minute, here's a quick way to do it without leaving your desk area:

Stand up.
    March in place for twenty seconds.
    Reach down and try to touch your toes for twenty seconds.
    Wander around and pick up or reorganize for the last twenty seconds (eventually your desk area may even be clean).

These are excerpts from the article (full article in link below)...you can read the whole thing here (including the super SCARY breakdown of how and what sitting for 6 or more per day, per week, and per year(s) does to the body--yikes! :sick:

How Sitting All Day Is Damaging Your Body and How You Can Counteract It
    Thorin Klosowski

http://lifehacker.com/5879536/how-sitting-all-day-is-damaging-your-body-and-how-you-can-counteract-it

Here's another one that may help:

16 Tips for Desk Jockeys: What to Do About Sitting All Day
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/16-tips-for-desk-jockeys-what-to-do-about-sitting-all-day/

I hope this can help you and others a wee bit :flowerforyou:
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    I definitely have it. This may sound silly, but while I'm at my desk working, I will kind of dance a little in my chair, especially when I have good music on and I try to also sit up straight and suck in my gut here and there. Every single time I go to the bathroom (I have a single person bathroom so this is easy to do without feeling weird) I do at least 20 squats and 10 wall pushups, so I usually get about 100 to 120 squats in a day and half of that in wall pushups. If I walk to the copier I will sometimes lunge walk to the copier (depends on who is in the office since I really don't want people seeing me do these silly things). While I'm waiting for my coffee to warm up in the microwave I will do jumping jacks for the 30 seconds or so. And then finally, I spend my lunch hour 3x a week at the gym doing my heavy lifting. I hope some of these things will combat the hours I sit on my duff.

Wonderful post! I haven't really purposely been doing squats, unless it's while I'm exercising. I use to hate squats, but I like them now--before reading these articles, I would have never just done squats for the sake of "moving"--but now I am...also because of this article, I'm doing "head, shoulders, knees and toes stretching through-out the day too. I discovered today about doing toe touching for at least 20 seconds every couple of hours too. What's also amazing is, before I posted this...I'd never heard of
    "sitting disease" and now that I know about it--there are TONS of articles about it everywhere!
  • dwalt15110
    dwalt15110 Posts: 246 Member
    I definitely have this. I have to be better. So glad you posted this. Awareness is a great catalyst!
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Sitting Disease is the #1 reason I gained weight in my last job. I literally couldn't leave my desk to take a break or go to lunch, it was horrible.

I was laid off, so yes, I beat sitting disease by no longer having a job that requires me to sit. I get up and go to the bathroom and eat when I need to, and I also go for runs and go to the gym when I need to as well! YAY for being unemployed and finally getting healthy!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    I have a desk job, but I make a point of walking to people's offices for meetings rather than calling on the phone. Since I supervise a few people, I probably go for a stroll at least once an hour.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    I am very fortunate to have been able to overcome this. As a SAHM, I don't *have* to sit down at all. I pretty much do everything while either standing or walking around, lest I be attacked by two small boys. Lol.

I have a fitbit which helps me track my steps, and I aim for 15,000/day M-F and 10,000/day on weekends. Staying very active has helped me maintain within 6-8 pounds for over a year.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    I work from home....sometimes I won't even leave my little apartment for 2 or 3 days at a time...yep, I've got a problem here ;) My boss has a treadmill desk at the office, I am jealous! (Though frankly I don't know that I'm coordinated enough to be able to handle that...)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Sitting Disease is the #1 reason I gained weight in my last job. I literally couldn't leave my desk to take a break or go to lunch, it was horrible.

I was laid off, so yes, I beat sitting disease by no longer having a job that requires me to sit. I get up and go to the bathroom and eat when I need to, and I also go for runs and go to the gym when I need to as well! YAY for being unemployed and finally getting healthy!

You go girl!!! I love the way you've made lemonade out of lemons (so to speak) and looking at the bigger picture and the brighter side of so-called "trouble and woe" You ROCK, period.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    I resisted the idea of a standing desk, because I know I have terrible posture -- I usually stand in stork pose :laugh: or with one hip cocked out. I also didn't think I'd be able to stand on my feet for too long -- I know what standing around is like, I cook. :smile:

I got a Lifespan treadmill desk, and it has made all the difference in the world. Not only is a 10,000 step day my baseline now, but the light strolling pace takes some pressure off my lower back.

(I know a treadmill desk isn't possible for everyone, but I have definitely joined the cult and recommend those who can get one!)
  • skrlec70
    skrlec70 Posts: 302 Member
    im plagued by it! I loooooooooooooooooooove to lounge! lol ies cheaper then going out spending money and I have no choice right now, oh I walk and run around all day, but if being active you mean roller blading or tennis um no , I go to the gym, life is as follows, work all day, yes I get to sit there also :) lol come home take out doggy, play with doggie, prepare dinner, do laundry or housework, take out doggy again, shower and ahhhh back on my duff :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!