Feeling so discouraged today!!!!!!!!!

Today I woke up, and weighed myself. I lost 1 pound. GREAT! But then I came into work and my co-worker tells me she reached her goal weight of 125lbs. Which I hope to reach eventually too. (that used to be my weight before I got married and really miss being at that weight) So you can imagine how discouraged I felt, although I am super proud of her victory and genuinely happy for her. It just plain sucks to hear others losing more than me sometimes. :(

Replies

• hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Why does her success make you feel badly about yourself? I know that this is a common response, but it's not necessarily a useful one.

Congrats on the one pound loss - that's one pound closer to your goal and you should be proud of it.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    dont quit, just keep pushing!

how much more to lose?
  • aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    i have 10 lbs to go!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    There are people here who have lost hundreds of pounds. It took a long time and was hard work. There are others here who are just starting the journey. I have found that it's best if I just take each day as it comes, make the best choices I can both for food and fitness and get on with the rest of my life. I don't have time or energy to focus on feeling jealous of other people.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Try and reframe how you view her success. Her success shows you that it is possible. It shows you that it's worthwhile for you to keep going.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    How does comparing what they've accomplished detract from what you have done? Someone is ALWAYS going to do better than someone else at something, so try more focusing on yourself rather that what they've done. Don't get ENVY, get movin'.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Davidhbx
    Davidhbx Posts: 13
    Compare yourself to yourself. Everyday become a stronger version of yourself.
    Just dont Give up at this stage this is where most people Quit. Just Hang on ..think of the Reason why you started Doing this in the first Place and stick on to that....i m sure you will go that one more mile, you will do that one extra pushup......Dont stop
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    confession17.gif

You're you. Your coworker is her own person. And even people that have similar goals shouldn't compare themselves so closely that it causes them to be discouraged because guess what, there will ALWAYS be someone better than you. Fact of life. Focus on you and your goals and be happy for your coworker for achieving hers.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    It has been hard at times to feel as successful when I see a friend posting on FB that she's losing 3 lbs/week, but I remember that it's MY life and MY lifestyle that I'm working on changing. :D Chin up!
  • arscott94
    arscott94 Posts: 22 Member
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. You are your own person, and congratulations on losing 1 lb. The rest will come off. We as women are ALWAYS comparing ourselves to others. I sometimes even take a sneak peak at the exercise machine of the person next to me so see if they've burned more calories than me. How crazy is that?!!? Think of the people who would love to be in your shoes. Are you saying you are about 135 lbs. right now? Wow! That's about where I'm trying to get. I'm 154 right now and I'd like to be about 130. Stay encouraged and remember this journey happens 1 day at a time.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    "Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!!!!" - Dr. Seuss
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Compete only with yourself. We did not get in the condition we are in overnight; we won't fix it overnight either. Enjoy the journey and take one step at a time. You'll get there!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    It's not a race. Just keep focused on you.

Congrats on the 1lb loss :)
    congrats_way_to_go.jpg
    funny-cat-gifs-046-007.gif

And here's a cute kitty gif to make you smile:
    kitten-and-puppy-playing_739.gif
  • Pajke
    Pajke Posts: 10 Member
    Take her success as inspiration, talk to her about it maybe she worked hard! You'll get there, we all will :)
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    comparing yourself to others is not good for you at all. I did that abit last year, silly thing is the people i was comparing myself with were different builds and different heights. You are doing a good job, keep it up. you will reach your goal.
  • pursuittofit
    pursuittofit Posts: 97 Member
    Focus on yourself. There will ALWAYS be someone who will be better than you. You should try to be the best as you can be.
  • Lozzer135
    Lozzer135 Posts: 12 Member
    You're just having a bad day - it happens. You only have a few pounds to go so hold tight and think positive. You can do it and then both you and your co-worker can celebrate together. Keep smiling :bigsmile:
  • aem135
    aem135 Posts: 44
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. You are your own person, and congratulations on losing 1 lb. The rest will come off. We as women are ALWAYS comparing ourselves to others. I sometimes even take a sneak peak at the exercise machine of the person next to me so see if they've burned more calories than me. How crazy is that?!!? Think of the people who would love to be in your shoes. Are you saying you are about 135 lbs. right now? Wow! That's about where I'm trying to get. I'm 154 right now and I'd like to be about 130. Stay encouraged and remember this journey happens 1 day at a time.

No hun, I'm at 143, I wanna be at 135 too.
  • ChrystaAnderson
    ChrystaAnderson Posts: 5 Member
    I totally feel where you're at!! That was me today when I did my weigh in today. Wasn't where I wanted to be for the month, and then a couple of minutes later...there's my sister who ways more than me...loses 15lbs in a month and a half...and after 1 month weeks, I lose 4?? Super discouraging, but like everyone else, everyone is built differently, just gotta find the positive somewhere!!! :) congrats on your 1lb loss too!!! Every pound counts!!! :D